What's your closest encounter with wildlife?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
AnanyaAk
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Origin</a>
Currently Reading: Magic Forged
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananyaak.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Re: What's your closest encounter with wildlife?

Post by AnanyaAk »

My closest encounter with the wild would be in a South African Sanctuary, where you can pet lion cubs and see them up close. One of the cubs bit me and started pulling at my hair! The handler had to intervene to get the cub off me.
WendyH
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyh.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WendyH »

While hiking through Cases Cove years ago, my friends and I came across three baby black bears eating nuts from the top of a tree. There were other hikers there standing at the base of the tree taking pictures, but we got out of there quickly. Where there are baby bears, you can be sure there is a protective mother bear not far behind.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

AnanyaAk wrote:My closest encounter with the wild would be in a South African Sanctuary, where you can pet lion cubs and see them up close. One of the cubs bit me and started pulling at my hair! The handler had to intervene to get the cub off me.
That must have been a harrowing experience! I would have been in a panic.

-- 12 Nov 2017, 19:39 --
WendyH wrote:While hiking through Cases Cove years ago, my friends and I came across three baby black bears eating nuts from the top of a tree. There were other hikers there standing at the base of the tree taking pictures, but we got out of there quickly. Where there are baby bears, you can be sure there is a protective mother bear not far behind.
And maybe a Papa Bear too. I hope those other hikers didn't get attacked.

We should bear in mind that bears are unbearably violent.
readingbooks1toall
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by readingbooks1toall »

I have number of encounters such as counter with snake, counter with Jackal, counter with leopard and many more to come....
wynston
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wynston »

My closest encounter with wildlife is with a wild boar. My dad was rearing pigs and went to feed them and I saw this big boar with is tusk push out it's mouth. I was so terrified I just ran back home.
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

When I faced my worst fear..

-- 14 Nov 2017, 15:10 --

When I faced my worst fear..
:tiphat:
johappy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Matched</a>
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johappy.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by johappy »

My closest encounter with wildlife (besides the zoo) would be the times I've gone hunting. I've personally seen the inside of a deer! (I'll spare you the gorey details.)
OldNerd
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by OldNerd »

Closer encounter with wild animals is one of the experiences I always pray not to repeat itself in my life again. Close to a decade ago I was walking in some forest in my country, Kenya when I met a Leopard basking on the morning sun on top of a tree a few meters from me. I was terrified and almost shouted. I thank God I was able to pass through unhurt.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 09:11 I'm well aware this is going to sound very tame compared to some, but I once had an encounter with a very, very angry, very, very large carthorse. Yes, they're normally the world's most placid creatures and that made it worse! I emerged unscathed but wouldn't care to repeat the experience. BTW a friend of mine once genuinely did have her arm broken by a swan (or so she CLAIMED, for all I know she could have fallen down stairs, but she wasn't given to lies ...!)
Ha, that doesn't sound tame at all! If I was alone in a forest with even the nicest and friendliest of horses, I'd still run. The funny thing is horses are actually one of my favorite animals ever. I'm just a chicken at the sight of large creatures. :lol2:
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

My closest encounter with wildlife was a snake of some sort. I never really found out what type of snake it was due to the fact that I hightailed it out of there.
sramirez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by sramirez »

My closest encounter with wildlife was a raccoon , we were cutting a tree in my house then was a family of raccoons inside, cutting the tree mama raccoon jumped from the other side of the tree was very close to me I jumped too I was very scared, raccoon ran away
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I went for a trip to the Nairobi National Park and I was fortunate enough to get up close to a lion. It was the best experience ever!
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

Oooh, yours was one frightening experience. I can relate because a lion almost mauled me at a zoo in Nigeria. I was young and fearless (or just crazy), I breached their safety protocol and decided to cross the metal bars to get a close up shot of a lioness. The only thing between me and the lioness was a flimsy wired fence. The shock of my camera's flashlights irritated the lioness and she came at me, lurching at the fence that separated us. All of a sudden it occurred to me that to a lion I am nothing but prey. I ran as fast as I could to the exit, because I knew without doubt that another lurch at the fence will completely bring it down. If the wired fence had given way before I got out, I would have made headline news that day as he second person mauled by a lion in that same zoo. The first one was a caretaker who forgot to lock the gate to the lion's den while feeding them.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Zain A Blade wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 11:24 Oooh, yours was one frightening experience. I can relate because a lion almost mauled me at a zoo in Nigeria. I was young and fearless (or just crazy), I breached their safety protocol and decided to cross the metal bars to get a close up shot of a lioness. The only thing between me and the lioness was a flimsy wired fence. The shock of my camera's flashlights irritated the lioness and she came at me, lurching at the fence that separated us. All of a sudden it occurred to me that to a lion I am nothing but prey. I ran as fast as I could to the exit, because I knew without doubt that another lurch at the fence will completely bring it down. If the wired fence had given way before I got out, I would have made headline news that day as he second person mauled by a lion in that same zoo. The first one was a caretaker who forgot to lock the gate to the lion's den while feeding them.
Apparently, the caretaker didn't take care. And you, daring photographer, are something else. I wonder if you would have enjoyed your pictures had you been mauled by that angry lioness. I'm glad you escaped unscathed. And wiser?
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

I haven't had any encounters with animals quite as exotic as the ones in the book, however, once while I was out hiking I came around a turn on the trail and saw that a fence was down and there were a bunch of cows out. I didn't expect that nor did I expect, on closer inspection, the coyote sitting among them watching me. :shock: I stepped backwards back into the trees, pulled out my phone, stepped out again, took a photo, turned around and hiked the other way.
And last summer while camping a bear walked through our site in the middle of the night, that was cool.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”