What is the most inspiring book you've ever read?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Obelix
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the most inspiring book you've ever read?

Post by Obelix »

The Holy Bible is the book of all books. it has fantastic questions and answers to all living things in the whole world.
henna sonum rajpoot
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henna-sonum-rajpoot.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by henna sonum rajpoot »

There would be many books on the list but i think "Al-chemist" and "ralph rachel - other side of the story " are nuggets of wisdom. I have learned alot from these books. I would like to share a saying from the latter "life is like a novel. Its full of suspense. You never know what is going to happen untill you turn the page"
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

I read Thing Fall Apart by Chinua Achibe talking about cuture contacts and conflict between African and Western culture.This is an amazing story with myths and legends in Africa.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by akeseh »

The Roadmap to the End of Days
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins.

I know, I know. I'm not as much of a Dawkins fan anymore, but this book is an amazing look at biology and evolution, and it shaped my worldview enormously.

It explains the mechanism of evolution, well beyond the basics, and how it shaped all of life in a brutal, heartless way, but it also has this beautifully optimistic tone: the forces that created us are heartless, but we don't have to be. Evolution also created love, and altruism and we have the mental capabilities to undermine the most brutal aspects of the process. We can be better than our creator.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Cupcake Brown's A Piece of Cake: A Memoir. Yes, that is her real name! Her mother was obsessed with eating cupcakes during her pregnancy and in a drug induced stupor after giving birth she muttered the word 'cupcake' to the nurse pushing for a name on the birth certificate! Haha lucky, Cupcake! Either way, the woman is down right inspiring. After finding her mother dead she goes into a series of foster homes, overcoming tribulations no child should ever have to face. You follow her through the trials and watch her become more resilient-- later putting herself through law school. INSPIRING. I love memoirs and I read this one right before taking on the endeavor of nursing school. I knew if Cupcake could conquer all that, I could take on nursing school. I still think about it when facing a challenging situation.

-- 18 Nov 2017, 14:47 --

Cupcake Brown's A Piece of Cake: A Memoir. Yes, that is her real name! Her mother was obsessed with eating cupcakes during her pregnancy and in a drug induced stupor after giving birth she muttered the word 'cupcake' to the nurse pushing for a name on the birth certificate! Haha lucky, Cupcake! Either way, the woman is down right inspiring. After finding her mother dead she goes into a series of foster homes, overcoming tribulations no child should ever have to face. You follow her through the trials and watch her become more resilient-- later putting herself through law school. INSPIRING. I love memoirs and I read this one right before taking on the endeavor of nursing school. I knew if Cupcake could conquer all that, I could take on nursing school. I still think about it when facing a challenging situation.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

The Bible for sure. It shows me that with God, anything is possible. It teaches me every time I open it. It roots me in my beliefs. It convicts and edifies me. All scripture is profitable for my
learning and training. ? I love everything about it.
Thabang Amos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos »

I would say The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.... I forgot the Author
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Tough question! The one that comes to mind right now is The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I always find some takeaway in the books I've read, some more than others. It doesn't have to be a self-help book either. I love fiction books because they give you a lot of "what ifs" and a lot of things to talk about.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I was inspired by the book of Rob White, "Then I met Margaret." This is a true to life story. The book of Robert Kiyosaki, "Rich Dad Poor Dad." I learned a lot from his financial advice. But if you gonna ask me the best inspiring book for me, it's the Holy Bible. From this book I got wise advice, direction and of course life inspiration.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

The most inspiring book I've ever read is Screw it Let's do it by Richard Branson. in fact, I believe I've read all his books and they're just awesome.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

For me, the book that inspired me the most is 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. The book has in it wisdom as old as time itself. And I like how the author culls out important lessons from history and the mishaps of people.
Cash-Centered Creep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cash-centered-creep.html
Latest Review: Kill Fannie Mae by Frank Latell

Post by Cash-Centered Creep »

Amagine wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 13:53 The book can definitely be said to be an inspirational book because of the author's resilience and determination to conquer certain things in her life.

What is the book that inspired you the most? What was it about the book that resonated with you so much?
Poor Charlie's Almanac by the legendary investor Charlie Munger is inspiring. Here is a brilliant man who overcame many personal tragedies, such as the loss of his son to cancer, divorce, and being broke. Yet he overcame all of that, and is now a billionaire with a happy family life who engages in philanthropic work as well as his business career. A real inspiration.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I think it depends on the way we approach to the content of a book. For me each and every book contains even a single point to be considered as a life lesson. I have read a number of inspiring books since my childhood, and labelling one book as the most inspiring would be something impossible.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”