Overall Rating and Opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Perfect Ndlovu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 341">Puffy and the Formidable Foe</a>
Currently Reading: Alphabet Motivation
Bookshelf Size: 34

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"

Post by Perfect Ndlovu »

I will rate it 3 star.
boringyanks
Currently Reading: Indian Hill 3
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boringyanks.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by boringyanks »

I'm thrilled by the adventure on land and sea, but also by the heartwarming and traumatic memories. This is an honest searing view of a risk-taking life full of fun, danger, unpredictability, and love. I'm grateful for Tina allowing me to be an absorbed armchair traveler. A rollercoaster of a ride.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Rose Anne Cavaneyro
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rose Anne Cavaneyro »

This was a fantastic memoir, of the author and her families adventures by boat and land, which had me on the edge of my seat. She is a wonderful storyteller, giving us beautiful descriptions and details of their escapades, of the people they meet and places that they visit. We first hear about their life leading up to this adventure, how the couple meets, their common goals and what they go through to live their lifestyle, but then most of this story, is about a trip that the author, her husband and two teenage boys take from South Africa, eventually to the USA, with stops on the way. They have a new, very sea worthy Catamaran, being readied for their ocean crossing in South Africa. While waiting for the boat to be finished, they go to Kruger National Park to take a safari, and there the tension for me starts and doesn't end.
Once on the boat, and joined by two of their children's friends for the Atlantic crossing, they have to watch the weather very closely for their trip around south Africa to Capetown and the dangerous waters they needed to navigate, both through the Cape Agulhas and the Cape of Good Hope.
Then their journey to Saint Helena a tropical volcanic Island in the south Atlantic, with an interesting history, then on to Brazil, Grenada and back to the USA.
I really look forward to more adventures from this author.

-- 18 Oct 2017, 23:41 --

BWWA
Monaatee
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monaatee.html
Latest Review: "30th century:escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Monaatee »

After reading this book, i rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. The highs and lows were just perfect. Obviously, life isn't perfect and so is the voyage of this family. I loved most how motherly she was to her sons and his friends who had joined their voyage, how strong she was in the midst of all this testosterone. What a sad end though. It was a very good read, I'm glad. The lesson I learned is never to let challenges phase me or stop me from going on, from experiencing life, from living. When it gets hard, I'd have to get harder with it.
'Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it'- Buddha

I have been bent and broken, but - i hope -into a better shape - Charles Dickens
Latest Review: "30th century:escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

I have not yet read the book but what inspired me from the reviews is the character development present in the story
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

The narrative of the book wafts from the present to the past and back again. It, surely, is a "Walkabout" as a concept of Australian wanderlust, but not entirely about Bluewater alone. It might even be a voyage of the author into her own identity and self-worth. I liked the way she presented the flashbacks, admitting honestly
the setbacks, the shame, and the little triumphs achieved in her struggle. More than just a memoir of a travel from South Africa to the Bahamas, it might as well be a veritable chronicle of her life.

I would recommend it to the young, also struggling in their transitory years to adulthood. And more especially to adolescent girls facing the usual harassment and predicaments in work and the other walks of life.

I found it free of typographical errors and other faults which could adversely affect its readability. The author is at liberty to indulge in the style she deems fit, and so my rating will have to be 4 stars out of 4.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

haven't read the book yet. the reviews were very good, and it caught my eye, i'll have to go back and read it through to give an accurate rating.
Nez Lucas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nez Lucas »

not read the book yet but Ive seen the reviews its so amazing im looking forward to read it :)
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

I feel it was a beautiful book that everyone should read. I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars because there were moments in the book when I felt like putting it down, and that is rare for me. But overall, it was an exciting read.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

I rated it 4 stars because the book is a wonderful family story the author has shared with us and that was well written. It makes to think about our day to day lives as we make our own journey.I really enjoyed the book and looking forward to the next one from this author.

-- 02 Nov 2017, 07:57 --

This was a fantastic story ,the author and her families adventures by boat and land.She gave beautiful descriptions of their escapades, of the people they meet and places they visit. We how the couple meets, their common goals and what they go through, but the story is most about a trip that the author, her husband and two boys take from South Africa to the USA.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
Julie Atieno Bwoga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Julie Atieno Bwoga »

Bluewater Walkabout is a fascinating book whose focal point is on healing following trauma, challenges faced in a cruise and a family's voyage. Tina Dreffin is motivated by the thought of travelling to foreign territories, She, a real estate broker in Houston went through sexual assault, struggled to meet up her everyday expenditure and felt detached. In spite of all the personality traits she sought in a man, she clicks with Peter who invites her for a sail to the Caribbean where their romance sparks. This strong yearning motivates them to take a safari followed by a four month ensuing sail all the way through South Africa to Brazil. Whilst at the Kruger National Park in north-eastern South Africa, She felt Gods presence with the spectacle of elephants, leopards and buffalos. Dreffin goes through a number of unanticipated events as well as the death of her daughter; she is nearly drawn from on board the vessel into the water by a rogue wave. However, she gets stimulated by the diversity of cultures that she and her family experienced in South Africa. She points out to a boy on board of the likelihood of her undiagnosed bipolar disorder. Key words in this story include: Death, Healing, Love, Faith, Culture, Family and Adventure.
oceanblue
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanblue.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by oceanblue »

This sounds like a book that will capture your heart and soul until the very end.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
BookEater213
Currently Reading: Horse Manure Grows Great Roses
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookeater213.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by BookEater213 »

I'm only 40% through the book; I started it yesterday but as I continued reading I was glad that she showed her previous life. I will definitely recommend this book to all

-- 04 Nov 2017, 02:29 --

It was inspirational and moving. I was especially inspired about the issues that she had to deal with and how she overcame them all. There were certain chapters that dragged to me
thisisfinal213
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thisisfinal213.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by thisisfinal213 »

oh Africa you green Africa. Love you anyway

-- 04 Nov 2017, 05:49 --

It was inspirational and moving. I was especially inspired about the issues that she had to deal with and how she overcame them all. There were certain chapters that dragged to me

-- 04 Nov 2017, 11:43 --

I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. It was very inspirational and I found that once I started reading it it was impossible to stop.

It is great to find a book which you like too much

-- 05 Nov 2017, 00:09 --

rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. It was very inspirational and I admire participation of woman with man and i really appreciate her hard work in Africa

-- 05 Nov 2017, 02:00 --

The interesting part is:
"He asked her to sail to the Caribbean and she agreed, and they began a whirlwind romancet. In 2002, Adam and Warren, were teenagers, she floated the idea ". I rate this book 3 out of 4

-- 05 Nov 2017, 02:15 --

I rate this book 3 out of 4 because there are formatting as well as spelling mistakes. Review is interesting and i liked it

-- 05 Nov 2017, 02:17 --

I also have not read the book yet but the reviews are developing good chrachter sketches present in the story
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
BookEater213
Currently Reading: Horse Manure Grows Great Roses
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookeater213.html

Post by BookEater213 »

her family's story, with her engaging writing and her flare to show both the fun and the not so fun parts of adventure and I must say that it is an interesting and should read for everyone

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”