A 'Happily ever after' ending Versus 'To be continued'

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

A 'Happily ever after' ending Versus 'To be continued'

Post by EmunahAn »

Christoph Martin ends his narration abruptly leaving the reader wanting more. Would you prefer a different ending?
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

EmunahAn wrote:Christoph Martin ends his narration abruptly leaving the reader wanting more. Would you prefer a different ending?
If the author chooses to have an ending that leaves the readers wanting more then I think it'd be fair to have a follow up book that eases some of the questions the readers were left with. About "happily ever after endings" sometimes it works most times it's a little cliche for me, I'd like a more realistic believable ending.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I prefer to have my books at least somewhat wrapped up. If they want to leave some things dangling for another book, that's okay with me. I don't like the story to just end though. That's not satisfying to me.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I love the ending of the book because it made the reader think and imagine possibilities. I welcome the idea of a sequel for it though.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

kandscreeley wrote:I prefer to have my books at least somewhat wrapped up. If they want to leave some things dangling for another book, that's okay with me. I don't like the story to just end though. That's not satisfying to me.
I agree with this completely. It also helps if they let you know the book is going to be part of a series. Then I at least know to expect things not to be all wrapped up. Even then there should still be some kind of conclusive ending to one, if not more, of the main plot lines.
Mosubi
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosubi.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Mosubi »

I prefer the book to end. This brings a sense of closure. I mean, who doesnt want closure?
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I prefer ' to be continued' only if the endings has that spark . I feel ' to be continued' leaves a long lasting impact that somehow plays with reader's mind and makes him wonder what will happen next . And don't leave out the point , that it will increase selling of next part. Moreover , happy endings aren't that much alluring these days because maybe now, some part of reader knows that ' happy endings' don't exist.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

I don't mind a book "hanging" as long as there is enough closure to warrant its ending and there is a follow-up continuing the story. But I love happy endings when, and only when, they are believable, not pat, and tie up the end of the story nicely.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I prefer to have a wrapped up book ending. Too many questions at the end or an abrupt ending does not go down well with me. It leaves me unsatisfied.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Aarush Kumar
Currently Reading: Disastrously Fabulous
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarush-kumar.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Aarush Kumar »

Abrupt endings are fine if there's a sequel coming up, and of course we all know happily ever after is just so cliché.. I guess it depends on the story and the writer...
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I love cliff-hanger endings; this way I am forever hungry for more and more, and it bugs me for the rest of my life with no way to appease my hunger, with no possibility to forget about the story either... That's how you feel after reading Murakami's books. You are always left craving for more.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I like a "to be continued" ending even if the book is standalone and won't have a follow-up. Having the ending suggest that the characters will have new adventures and that their lives continue satisfies me, especially if the author does it deftly.
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

Professional writer says 'to be continued' sentence at the end of a book is great, but I don't fancy that as it creates tension. And if the next part of the book is not out on time, I will blame myself for reading it. So I prefer Happily after as a book ending.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Creating Serenity
Currently Reading: How to Read Literature Like a Professor Revised
Bookshelf Size: 2263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creating-serenity.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Creating Serenity »

As a child of the 80's (I'm aging myself there), I love it when there is an ending that fits the theme of the book. HEA is great and all, sometimes, but if I'm reading a psychological thriller or something that fits the horror genre, then I am going to expect a big ending. HEA does not work in those types of stories.

As for cliff hangers, sometimes they annoy me. It depends on how the author and publisher decide to do it. If I know that a year from now the next book will be out, then I'm all for it. It will help me to remember that I want to read the next book!
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

I prefer 'happily ever after' endings, they are much better.However, if you must have an inconclusive end, then please, you should have a follow up novel. It's aim would be to round it up as either a happy ending or a tragedy.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”