How much politics do you like in your books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Re: How much politics do you like in your books?

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

I enjoy reading a book centering around politics, but I don't want it to overtake the plot completely. After all, a book should be about the characters, and not the world they live in. Otherwise it'd be just a reflection of what is going on around the world. Still, it couldn't hurt to know the context of the world the characters live in, as well as the complications that could arise from the politics in that world.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

TheSeelieCourtJester wrote:I enjoy reading a book centering around politics, but I don't want it to overtake the plot completely. After all, a book should be about the characters, and not the world they live in. Otherwise it'd be just a reflection of what is going on around the world. Still, it couldn't hurt to know the context of the world the characters live in, as well as the complications that could arise from the politics in that world.
In this story about the expansion, its political theme is just right. It did its role of presenting the realities of the business world.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

CaitlynLynch wrote:I like politics as long as the author doesn't permeate the book with their own views. They should be presenting the facts, impartially. If a CHARACTER has specific views, that's something quite different.
I read The Expansion (my review here forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php ... mp;t=46456) and I thought the politics in it were really well done. There were really good, clear explanations of the Panama Canal's geo-political history, and very believeable speculative politics on what might happen in the event of a real expansion.
I agree with this. I don't mind politics as long as it's substantiated and presented with facts.
KITtheKAT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitthekat.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by KITtheKAT »

For some people, politics can be a really touchy subject. In my opinion, I think adding politics to a book gives it a sense of realism, whether it's a crime novel or the highest of fantasy. If the main character is greatly changing the state of an environment that includes an entire community or even the world, you can be sure that there's a politician out there somewhere on their side or not on their side. I feel like there usually is politics, even if the reader doesn't notice right away. Maybe they're really REALLY caught up in the plot and they don't even notice that Saruman from Lord of the Rings is literally a politician with a magic staff.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I'm not a fan of politics and too much of it in fiction will put me off; however, it's part of society and it would be odd to see a story without even a little bit of political influence where it's needed.
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

Not too much. Sometimes it's difficult to imagine politics in a pleasant light. Taking a book up grants you the opportunity to go to that world where everything's as you wish it to be.

I might not be turned off if the writer does not hold my particular political sentiments, infact it might work the opposite effect!
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I hate politics in books. I like small local conflicts and dislike when things are too far reaching or grandiose because it tends to feel impactful more slowly.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I am not usually into political thrillers, but sometimes a here and there novel on politics turns out to be pretty good. It basically depends on the writer. Some just do a good job of explaining even the most complex things.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I think I like the concepts more, but actual books about politics are sometimes a bit boring if the author can't create the right tension.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Too much politics is a no no for me. This because politics is subjective and in most cases if this is the only predominant theme, i find there is a lot that i end up not agreeing to. So either the politics is kept to the minimum or not at all. I only read ideological novels if i agree with their theme and which is rare any way.
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

I like politics in the books I read but not too much. Just enough to keep the intrigue and the plot interesting.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
lrbfilm
Currently Reading: Nevermoor
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lrbfilm.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lrbfilm »

I think it is important to have politics in novels, it is very difficult to have a novel that steers completely away from it. Politics are a critical aspect of society, even novels with characters that isolate themselves often have societal reasons for doing so.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

I could tolerate a little bit of politics but when the main theme of the book is politics, it becomes a "no go" for me. I would have to drop a book that is entirely based on politics because am not really interested in it.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
AgentJay
Currently Reading: Chiaroscuro - The Mouse and the Candle
Bookshelf Size: 1492

Post by AgentJay »

I like politics in my books, the order and hierarchy while trying to have an upper hand in the same.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Gideon umunnakwe wrote:for me politics is a way of life, it doesn't matter if one likes it or not, it a circle that we must revolve around, so having it on my book is a privilege, because it open my scope and keep me prepared for the future
I agree . My thoughts are exactly the same
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”