Learning another language

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Learning another language

Post by holsam_87 »

Robyn Lea wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 23:30 Elias says that the best way to learn English is through a native speaker. I disagree. Ok, I have to admit I learned to speak Spanish in a Spanish-speaking country. However, I have met people who learned English in a non-English speaking country.

What do you think? What's the best way to learn another language (music, other)? Is it necessary to learn from a "native?"

If you could learn a second or third language which one would you want to learn? Why?
Learning through immersion is the best way to learn a language, I've seen it happen with the Japanese students that I spent time with in college. Another good way is to do work with well-done language apps like Duolingo. I have been using it for multiple languages.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I would really love to learn French. I wished but never got a chance to learn it way back in high school.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I would love to be able to learn any other language this way I would be able to read other books written in other languages.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I think a full immersion in the language is the quickest way to pick up a new language. I would love to travel to a Spanish-speaking country and really jump full force into becoming fluent!
faint9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by faint9 »

There is no formula for learning a foreign language. You can learn from a native or any other source provided that they are conversant with the language. And when learnt through a song, it sinks deeper and faster.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Well I am from India, and I am fluent in English. So I would not say it is necessary to learn the language from natives. Typically and Indian speaks on and average 3 languages at least- English, their mother-tongue, and a language from a different state. And no one really learn these languages 'only' from native speakers. The best way to learn a new language is to keep on interacting in that language, read books of that language, listen to music, watch TV programs, etc.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I think learning a language through a native speaker is one of the best ways, but also I found that you can pick up a language by watching tv series in that language.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”