Social Issues Depicted in the Story

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Social Issues Depicted in the Story

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

This story uncovered many social issues that are left unnoticed or unaddressed. What can you say about any of these social issues like broken family, destroyed marriages, poverty, and racial/ ethnic/ hierarchical discrimination?
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

The book described the above mentioned social issues quiet well. Broken families are like shreds of a broken thread. While poverty is a big issue in any region.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree that those issues were depicted rather well. However, I think not enough emphasis was put on some of them (aka the prostitute issue).
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I felt like the book succeeded in bringing all these issues to light. Especially the issue of single motherhood. I don't think these topics were elaborated enough on or brought to a satisfactory end in the book.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Poverty is a depressing circle. Fortunately, it takes only one to rise to break the trend of poverty in a family.
Donnavila Marie01

gali wrote:I agree that those issues were depicted rather well. However, I think not enough emphasis was put on some of them (aka the prostitute issue).
I agree. The reason is, prostitution is not the central theme of the story. There are other books which elaborate on this.
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

The social issue in this book that really got me was the homeless home-wrecker. I don't like that there are homeless people.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

John Cand wrote:The social issue in this book that really got me was the homeless home-wrecker. I don't like that there are homeless people.
Home wrecker? The homeless woman wasn't at fault in that marriage. Yaser and Miriam are to blame as far as not taking care of their marriage. The hope at the end shows they got back on track.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I think one of the most significant social issues discussed in the book is single mothers and how the law doesn't favor them. It broke my heart how Nadia planned the trip with her son, but the law favored the father. That was extremely unfair and I think the authors wanted to show precisely how unfair it is.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Donnavila Marie01

Yolimari wrote:I think one of the most significant social issues discussed in the book is single mothers and how the law doesn't favor them. It broke my heart how Nadia planned the trip with her son, but the law favored the father. That was extremely unfair and I think the authors wanted to show precisely how unfair it is.
I agree. The issue on single mothers is really heartbreaking. most of the time, this leads to lesser opportunities and lesser freedom on the part of the mother. I hope the States will do something about this.
PRAXIDES
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 98862">The 11.05 Murders</a>
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praxides.html
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts

Post by PRAXIDES »

Social issue of single motherhood is heartbreaking and how the society and its rules doesn't favor the single mother. They put the needs of there children first and sacrifice a lot including there freedom and happiness just to ensure there children’s psychological stability.
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

The book described quite a lot of social issues that need to be urgently dealt with and resolved, like poverty, broken marriages, racial discrimination, stereotypes etc. However, I felt some issues were not very strongly condemned in the book. For example, prostitution was mentioned quite a few times in the book. However, I felt that the writers did not take a strong stand against prostitution, especially in cases where children are involved.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Donnavila Marie01

Ssinghal wrote:The book described quite a lot of social issues that need to be urgently dealt with and resolved, like poverty, broken marriages, racial discrimination, stereotypes etc. However, I felt some issues were not very strongly condemned in the book. For example, prostitution was mentioned quite a few times in the book. However, I felt that the writers did not take a strong stand against prostitution, especially in cases where children are involved.
They did not give emphasis or strongly condemned the issue on prostitution, maybe because they do not want to be caught in a mess because prostitution is not a simple issue.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

The "broken families" part hits really close to home and really got to me - it was beautiful.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
Ssinghal wrote:The book described quite a lot of social issues that need to be urgently dealt with and resolved, like poverty, broken marriages, racial discrimination, stereotypes etc. However, I felt some issues were not very strongly condemned in the book. For example, prostitution was mentioned quite a few times in the book. However, I felt that the writers did not take a strong stand against prostitution, especially in cases where children are involved.
They did not give emphasis or strongly condemned the issue on prostitution, maybe because they do not want to be caught in a mess because prostitution is not a simple issue.
I agree with Ssinghal. Since it was part of the story, they should have taken a strong stand about it, at least regarding the use of kids.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”