June/July Genre Discussion

For June and July, we will be reading beach/vacation books.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

June/July Genre Discussion

Post by kio »

Sorry guys, wifi crashed on laptop, so I decided to run this discussion for two months. For this month, pick a beach/vacation read. This can be a book that takes place during the summer, on a beach, or is a book you'd read on a road trip (boredom buster read).

What book did you read? What genre was it?
What rating would you give it?
What tools did the author use to draw you into the story? (Ex. characters, intense plot)
What drew you to the book?
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The book that I enjoyed is called, "The Summer I Turned Pretty" by Jenny Han. It is a YA romance novel that is part of a three book series. What drew me to the book was the characters and the descriptive language that the author used. I was reading the book and visualizing a summer house all at once. I believe I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars on bookshelves. I really enjoyed the series and I'm a huge fan of the author!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

A book I enjoyed was Panic by Lauren Oliver. It is a YA mystery which takes place over the summer break but takes the characters on a trip around the town as they take part in dares and challenges in a kind of secret scavenger hunt.
I would give it 4 out of 4 stars, I was drawn to it because I liked the author's other work and was looking for an easy to read stand alone novel to read. I read it a couple of summers ago. It was fast paced and I enjoyed seeing what lengths the characters would go to to win challenges against their peers.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I have recently read Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris. I loved this book and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. It has some beach scenes in it.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I think the only book I own about anything related to summer or vacations is called "Deaths Excellent Vacation." It's a short story compilation by Charlaine Harris and other writers about supernatural creatures going on vacations or otherwise taking a break from their supernatural activities. It includes a funny Sookie Stackhouse story, which is the reason why I was interested in the first place, and some of the stories are quite memorable.
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

I have never had a summer read before, mybe i will try one of your suggestions, although it's definitely not summer this side of the world 8) :lol:

-- 15 Jul 2017, 04:11 --

I have never had a summer read before, maybe i will try one of your suggestions, although it's definitely not summer this side of the world 8) :lol:
EmSwan
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emswan.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by EmSwan »

The book I read was 'the Great Gatsby' by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and I would read this as a boredom buster and as it's partially set in the summer, this is because I last read it over a year ago when I was quite ill, so my memory of it is fuzzy, so I feel I should read it again, however I was initially drawn to it for the reputation of it as a classic. I do recall finding the use of language very interesting, compared to modern language, as it shows very well how the vocabulary used can vary so intensely between culture, time and social standing.
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
smart24
Currently Reading: ROXY
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by smart24 »

I will have to read this book
Innocent chinenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocent-chinenye.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Innocent chinenye »

The book I enjoyed was From Drift To Shift by Jody B Miller. Is a non-fiction book that characterizes how change brings true meaning and happiness to your work and life. I rate the 4 out of 4 stars because the author sets out to fufill her pledge to the readers in herself-help book.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

The Summer I Turned Pretty series is my favorite summer series. It is a fun, easy read with a love triangle and it all takes place at the beach. I reread these countless times and I just can never seem to put them down.
Abolade Morakinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Abolade Morakinyo »

"The Summer I Turned Pretty" by Jenny Han is a coming-of-age novel that follows the story of Isabel "Belly" Conklin as she spends the summer at a beach house with her family and their close family friends, the Fishers. The story explores themes of love, friendship, and growing up.

The novel is praised for its relatable characters and emotional depth, especially in its portrayal of Belly's feelings for the two Fisher brothers, Conrad and Jeremiah. The love triangle adds tension to the story and keeps readers engaged.

Critics have noted that the novel's strength lies in its depiction of summer nostalgia and the complexities of teenage emotions. However, some readers have found the love triangle clichéd and the characters' actions at times frustrating. Overall, "The Summer I Turned Pretty" is a light and enjoyable read, perfect for a summer day at the beach.

Return to “June/July 2017 Genre Dicscussion”