Everyone speaks English to Alex?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
mac83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Re: Everyone speaks English to Alex?

Post by mac83 » 19 Sep 2018, 13:18

I never thought about this while I was reading the book. I think I've read other books that the characters all speak English though they're in a different country. Good observation.
Mac :techie-reference:

stonehaven494
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stonehaven494.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by stonehaven494 » 20 Sep 2018, 23:43

I hadn't noticed that inconsistency, but it's true; it doesn't make sense that everyone knows English, conveniently. There are other things about the story that I think need work, like character development and more suspense when there's action, but overall, I thought it was a pretty good read.

aprenni
Currently Reading: The Casual Vacancy
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aprenni.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aprenni » 28 Sep 2018, 07:26

I hadn't noticed this particular inconsistency, but now that you mention it, it is very distracting. I had been focused on some other distracting inconsistencies during the book, but it would've made the book 100 times better if Fayman had mentioned some sort of language barrier. Alex simply could've downloaded a Dutch dictionary on one of his web trips, and this issue would've been explained away. But it makes sense that people would talk to him in English in hotels and other very touristy areas. When I traveled abroad, I (and my cohorts) stood out as American, and restaurant servers, cashiers, and other service people immediately spoke to us in English because we were in such high touristy areas. However, as soon as you go to a less touristy spot, they speak their home language first. So it doesn't make sense that the homeless shelter would speak English, or the mobsters outside of the city. Stewart may have initially tried waking him in Dutch, but switched to English thinking that Alex didn't understand Dutch. Otherwise, though, there should've been some sort of language barrier mentioned and dealt with throughout the course of the novel.

jjmainor
Currently Reading: Bug Hunt
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by jjmainor » 03 Oct 2018, 22:56

I imagine some countries get so many American tourists, it's not that hard to find someone who speaks English, but the suspension of disbelief left me when the newspaper showed up in English.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”