The theme of Power in "Superhighway"

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Elli Karampela
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elli-karampela.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

The theme of Power in "Superhighway"

Post by Elli Karampela »

In what way do you think this book appeals to modernization and ways of power acquisition? Is this how we imagine a modern superhero?
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
Denise Wallace
Currently Reading: 11:05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denise-wallace.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B01HC0DVM4

Post by Denise Wallace »

Elli Karampela wrote:In what way do you think this book appeals to modernization and ways of power acquisition? Is this how we imagine a modern superhero?
To me, Superhighway speaks to our core flaw as humans, which is sin, and the road to hell being paved with good intentions. Therefore, the theme is as timely as ever. And as far as our expectations for a modern superhero goes, as always, we start out believing that the superhero is superhuman and, therefore, above sin. While traveling with him on his journey, however, we learn along with the superhero that we were wrong about that.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-solomon-ikechu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Nwoko Solomon Ikechu »

It is good to be a writer, but one should also value morals even in writing. Good books or stories should contain the "MIE" of writing to become a good book or story. The "M" stands for Moral or Morals, this book lack morality in a high level. Readers can get lost in the imagination of some immoral live like Alex at 18 and may not remember or even know the actual lesson or message the book intends to pass across to readers. "I" stands for Intellect, here I can agree that the book deserves good score, and the "E" stands for Entertainment, here also, the book is good, however, one can get stuck in some place. I like the book story line, but dislike some of the vulgar words and practices used in the book. I will rate it 3 out 4 stars, and recommend it to mature and married readers.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

Wow , The book has passed a message of possibility to me . I got that . I appreciate what others understood too.You know in these days of technology I still think that there is a revolution coming that will be sparked by technological innovations.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I agree that Superhighway can be looked at as "a road to hell paved with good intentions". I also liked how it looked at the possibility of internet travel while, I think its impossible who knows, at one time they thought flying through the sky was impossible too.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

If you have no-one to answer to and no-one to temper your actions whilst having enormous power, how fast would you become self-centered jerk, that is the question. Usually it doesn't take long, because most people are already very self-centered.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The specific idea of traveling through the internet does not seem plausible but some of the things technology allows us to do would have been viewed as superpowers hundreds of years ago. Abilities don't have to be completely unrealistic to seem like superpowers. They just have to be something a person never imagined being able to do.

I have seen way too many DC and Marvel shows and movies so my idea of a superhero is very much based on those concepts. I think Alex would fit in very well with The Atom.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

Interesting question... Money acquisition is also a power acquisition in an economic society. Now that we live in a digital age with hackers on the news everywhere getting into peoples' private data, this story seems to fit right in. I believe this could be the making of a modern-day superhero as he is as non-violent as possible and makes quick work of what millions of tax-dollars and man-hours can't even hope to do. A definite "rising-star" in my book!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

The main character does have good intentions but he goes about the wrong way. So I would like to keep my options open I guess..
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

It's not a sole representation but I do think it ties in to our everyday lives now. It's taking into consideration the fact that almost everything is digitized now and we do see Alex using his ability to gain power and act out a modern-day Robin Hood.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

It's modern in terms of the technological aspect. Everything else seemed kind of old-fashioned, especially the method of speech Fayman employed in his writing. I don't think it adequately covers all the basics either.
Rukundo_1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rukundo_1 »

Choosing the wrong way does not mean you are also negative sometimes you are positive
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

This book has really inspired me and I appreciate.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”