What Do You Think of "Real" Superheroes?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: What Do You Think of "Real" Superheroes?

Post by Emilyflint »

I honestly had no idea that people would do that. But it does not surprise me in the least. It is so unfortunate that people feel the need to do this in order to keep their neighborhood safe. Would I personally do this, no. Would I feel safer if that was a thing in my neighborhood, yes.
May-an Tinangag
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by May-an Tinangag »

A real superheroes for me are those people who sacrificed their lives just to save other lives.
Gulal fatima
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gulal fatima »

I think real super heroes are those who stand for others who protect and care about others without thinking of any return or reward....and there are lot of people around us such as our police,army and other agencies who are working to protect other people of their country not just their families
Love u all
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I believe superheroes are many out there they don't necessary need to have a costume on. They are just ordinary people who speak out against injustice, who help by giving a homeless person with a meal, who help out a neighbour, or who help children and the elderly all these are superheroes in my book.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I have heard of them, they do seem comical. I think that it is cool to have people in the community trying to do something good. By dressing up like superheroes they are making it enjoyable for kids too! I really do not think they do any harm and should be more accepted. If our country is to be a safe and happy place to live, we must support the efforts that are caring and thoughtful of the community. Fun question!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I have never seen something like this in real life, only in movies so I imagined they don't exist. I really like them in movies, their good intentions are admirable. But in real life, someone with good intentions doesn't necessarily have phisical strenght and a lot more qualities to be a superhero. I guess a lot of them can't actually handle the real danger.
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

Gravy wrote: 19 Jun 2017, 05:43 Every now and then, one hears about people who dress up in costume and "patrol" troubled neighborhoods. Mostly acting as a deterrent, rather than playing true vigilante (again, mostly).

Some will probably think that it's funny, while others will admire them just for trying. I'm probably somewhere in between.

So I wonder, what do others think of these costumed protectors? Did you even realise this was a thing? Are you surprised that it is?

Edited 7/13/17

Here's a link to a recent story about some of them: 15 Awesome Vigilantes That Really Fight Crime
I didn't even know that was a thing. It sounds kind of dumb to me since REAL superpowers obviously don't exist. They're probably just good at amateur detective work, running and martial arts. If they really wanted to help the community they could join the police, or if they think the work of the police is below par and isn't hitting the mark, they could form their own private detective agency and be a bit of a Sherlock Holmes. I think running around in a superhero costume is a bit much, and who's gonna take them seriously?
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I have to say that I do love reading books about superheroes but I can't say that I believe in the existence of superheroes.
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

Real superheroes would do anything for the best interest of other people even at the cost of their own money, time, and sometimes even happiness.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

It seems to me that, at best, they are a more "solidary" variant of clowns, since I do not think they serve much more than entertaining children. Now, if they really consider themselves "superheroes", they have a serious mental problem that requires treatment.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I was unaware that this was a real occurrence, so I am intrigued to look more into it. While I applaud these "superheroes" for trying to help without actually fighting crime, I worry about what will happen to them, especially if they are "patrolling" troubled neighborhoods. For most people, they are probably something funny to look at or admire, but for some people, these "superheroes" might be a warning that they don't appreciate. I think that if these "superheroes" have at least self-defense training, then I wouldn't be as worried. Overall, though, I still think it's a wonderful idea.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

They may not be fantastic, beast fighting, costume wearing ones but they are just as cool.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Gravy wrote: 19 Jun 2017, 05:43 Every now and then, one hears about people who dress up in costume and "patrol" troubled neighborhoods. Mostly acting as a deterrent, rather than playing true vigilante (again, mostly).

Some will probably think that it's funny, while others will admire them just for trying. I'm probably somewhere in between.

So I wonder, what do others think of these costumed protectors? Did you even realise this was a thing? Are you surprised that it is?

Edited 7/13/17

Here's a link to a recent story about some of them: 15 Awesome Vigilantes That Really Fight Crime
I suppose that if you are doing good, then no harm. After all, a lot of times the police force is way overworked.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I never really viewed vigilantes as superheroes. If your purpose is to capture a perpetrator or stop a crime while it's happening, that's one thing, and I would deem you a hero, but vigilantes in general seem to seek justice, even if they have to break the law to do it. Even if a vigilante's intentions are good, they are not fit to be a judge of what is deserving of punishment and in what way the perpetrator should be punished. We have a legal system for a reason, and disregarding it, whether you think it's flawed or not, is not a heroic act.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

There are so many superheroes in the movies now. Superheroes are taking over. They are the new trend, especially with Marvel taking over the box office. The idea of superheroes ever becoming real seem to get more and more fanatical. The idea was nice growing up, but "real" superheroes are few and far between. These are the police force, the firemen, nursing staff at hospitals, doctors, etc. These are the professions that need to be paid more rather than professional sports players.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”