What Do You Think of "Real" Superheroes?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

What Do You Think of "Real" Superheroes?

Post by Gravy »

Every now and then, one hears about people who dress up in costume and "patrol" troubled neighborhoods. Mostly acting as a deterrent, rather than playing true vigilante (again, mostly).

Some will probably think that it's funny, while others will admire them just for trying. I'm probably somewhere in between.

So I wonder, what do others think of these costumed protectors? Did you even realise this was a thing? Are you surprised that it is?

Edited 7/13/17

Here's a link to a recent story about some of them: 15 Awesome Vigilantes That Really Fight Crime
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've heard of that before. I guess I feel like there are other ways to protect the neighborhood rather than dressing up as a fictitious character. That just seems a little odd to me.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I have a different view of what makes something fictitious. If they were dressing as an existing character, yeah, but otherwise I wouldn't call it fictitious. Or no more fictitious than a lot of people. :lol:

Culturally, I find it interesting. I mean, does it work just because they're out and are there to play witness? If so, why? Shouldn't they be just another potential victim?
Or has our culture so idolized superheroes that just seeing someone dressed as one will actually deter crime? Like the psychological trick that people are less likely to steal if there are a pair of eyes "watching" them from a picture.

WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

I haven't heard of any "real" superheroes. I've heard of people who dress up like superheroes and patrol neighborhoods and whatnot. I guess if they actually fight crime, put themselves in danger, and help others, much like policemen and firemen, they could be deemed real superheroes.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I believe that is the general thought behind it. Sadly, much like with many positions of authority (even if it isn't strictly "legal" authority), it leads to some bad apples.

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I haven't heard of it either and find it odd. I don't think they will actually deter crime dressed like it.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I think it's an American thing. Which probably says it all. :lol:

Paroca
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paroca.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Paroca »

In my university, there's this man with special needs (I believe his brain stopped developing at a young age) who dresses up as a superhero, and walks around the campus. He's not there to keep peace per se, but to provide motivation and positivity to the people he meets. He encourages those who are working out, gives out compliments generously, and is always ready to give you a high five. There are also stories of him helping people cross the street or accompanying ladies who are walking alone between buildings at night. And there's nothing creepy or whatever about him. His kindness is a superpower on its own.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:I haven't heard of it either and find it odd. I don't think they will actually deter crime dressed like it.
I actually have never heard of this either, and I can't see how they would prevent or lessen crime by doing so. It seems more like joke or they could potentially become a target themselves in these rougher areas.

Interesting, though, that this exists.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
AYISHA_ASH
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-ash.html
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon

Post by AYISHA_ASH »

I have never heard of such an incident near my hometown. So naturally I am a bit surprised. But frankly, I do not think costumes make you a superhero. You just have to lend a helping hand to one person to become a superhero in their minds.
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Paroca wrote:In my university, there's this man with special needs (I believe his brain stopped developing at a young age) who dresses up as a superhero, and walks around the campus. He's not there to keep peace per se, but to provide motivation and positivity to the people he meets. He encourages those who are working out, gives out compliments generously, and is always ready to give you a high five. There are also stories of him helping people cross the street or accompanying ladies who are walking alone between buildings at night. And there's nothing creepy or whatever about him. His kindness is a superpower on its own.
He sounds amazing!

I've never heard of people patrolling before, but I see stories all the time of people dressing up as superheroes or princesses and going to hospitals to cheer up the patients. I think if their aim is to be more of a morale-booster than an actual crime-fighting type of presence, they can be very beneficial to the community.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I thought it's just a fancy dress thing to wear superhero suits. I think the neighbourhood watch can be heroic without dressing up like a child's action figure.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't think it's necessary to dress up in order to do a heroic thing. If someone dressed up in a costume, it would be hard to take them seriously. The kids would enjoy the sight but unless it's Halloween or you're dressing up for Comic-Con, it would be odd to see Batman in my neighborhood.

(Sidenote) I think
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

"Real" Superheroes that include policemen (?), firefighters, and the like, I don't really take too kindly to. The reason is because I've seen policemen who act like complete jerks and are willing to attack innocent people, like the men you find on the news. When someone calls themselves heroes, I'm already wary of, simply because of the sheer arrogance you have to have to proclaim that you fight for justice, that you have what it takes to beat the bad guys without getting influenced by them. No one's that perfect, not even Superman.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Well , talking about superheroes with possession of some kind of super powers don't really exist . But there are many people that may become your superhero because they may do something for that you believe nobody else would have done
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”