How would a super-ability change your life?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Re: How would a super-ability change your life?

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

It's too much responsability and it is pure selfishness to only use it for yourself.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I'd rather not have a super ability. I've lived my life normally and I'd rather keep it that way. I think having super abilities would cause one to isolate himself or keep secrets from those around him, and I don't think I can do that.
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

My life would be much better with digital teleportation. I could have more time doing hobbies. I could relax my mind by going to places far from the chaos.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

It always seems that having that kind of powers brings more negative consequences than benefits. In my case, I would not mind having some super-ability, but one that is not too radical or dangerous. If I had Alex's in this story, I would make a small account in some bank and I would go live on a tropical island, just like he did. Wanting to help society seems counterproductive because the existence of a person with such skills would involve many legal, moral and bureaucratic problems. Better to keep a low profile...
LOPEZ WA WILLY
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LOPEZ WA WILLY »

Super ability would not only make the unwise arrogant, but also somewhat unfocused.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

[CAUTION: SPOILERS]
I think that it truly depends on what kind of super-ability, as well as how it is used. In Alex's case, his ability to "electroport" is not used in the correct way, and it ends up getting Anna killed for no reason, and it also destroys his relationship with Eva when he meets Nicky.

For me, I don't think it would really change my life, unless my super-ability came at the cost of an alteration to my appearance. If I appear to be a "freak", then I wouldn't be able to leave my house without being ostracized. Other than that, I don't think that my life would change very much. I would still keep my friends, and my job. Perhaps at times it would feel lonely to be the only person I know with abilities, but I would have to believe that all things happen for a reason, and that maybe I will use my powers for something extraordinary.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I would be very happy to do superhero things just like Alex. However, I will keep it a secret to prevent those around me from viewing me differently. Thus, I won't be lonely.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

If I was randomly granted a super ability, I don't think my life would change very much. I would keep my ability to myself unless I found a way to use it to help people, and even then I would try to keep it anonymous because I don't want to end up in harms way, but also because I would not want recognition for my actions.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

I would try not to change a lot to attract less attention. I’d move to a different state and not work for a while at least. This would provide a break from life!
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

It would really depend on what that super ability was, but in my opinion currently, I'd think that it would do nothing but benefit since the only people I associate with are my partner's family. It would probably help open me up to new opportunities so I could help them financially, and offer more services to those around me to do cheap freelance work.

I don't know, though. I really don't. It really would depend on the super ability. I would want something that would make transportation easier or something like that. Maybe better vision?
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

The only super-ability I would love to have is one that will free me off all problems and not add them but then again everything comes with its own set of problems.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

If I had a super-ability I'd keep it under wraps. I wouldn't let people know so I wouldn't attract the wrong people. I'd probably keep everything the same, live a normal life, and enjoy the ability I have been given in ways that would help people without them knowing I was helping them.
Mac :techie-reference:
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

I would want to be able be immortal and be able to control time. That way I could learn every language, and every story. There is just so much I should want to know.

Though I would only want those powers if my husband had the same powers. I wouldn't want to be immortal alone, and traveling through time would not mean as much without him
Cash-Centered Creep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cash-centered-creep.html
Latest Review: Kill Fannie Mae by Frank Latell

Post by Cash-Centered Creep »

L_Therese wrote: 17 Jun 2017, 12:12 A superpower could bring wealth, opportunity...
You officially have my attention!

On a more serious note, there is no question that possessing a 'super-ability' would change your whole outlook on life. Whether or not it changes your life in terms of your job, circle of friends, etc. depends on you. Like gravy, I think I'd be inclined to keep it to myself.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I think it would be difficult to keep a normal life if I had a superpower. I would try to keep it as normal as possible, but I think that would quickly fall apart. It would definitely change my perspective on things, depending on the ability or power. I would hope that the ability would improve my life, but that isn't always the case.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”