A Superhighway movie?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: A Superhighway movie?

Post by mamalui »

It would make a very interesting concept for kids and teenagers. But I think putting in mature scenes would limit the younger audience.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I don't know that it warrants a movie. Though, a visualization of the internet travel would be cool. I personally don't mind R scenes, but I didn't think those scenes added much to the book that couldn't be gotten across off-screen. So, PG13 would probably work fine.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

I think the movie version would be good because of some parts of the main character's superpower that is difficult to visualize.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

hsimone wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 10:42 Hm...that all depends for me. Since the premise is a promising one, a movie might be interesting. However, if the movie would be mostly based on the book, then I would say no; it would have to be very loosely based. Alex isn't very likable, so to follow his ridiculous decisions for two hours would, I think, upset many people. Or, it might give the wrong impression of what a good role model is to the younger crowd because Alex isn't really a good one.
I agree with you. If the movie is based on the idea of the novel instead of following the novel closely, I think I would be okay with the book being made into a movie. However, if it follows the book more closely than not, I would not want to watch it, regardless of the rating and the content. I did not find Alex to be a likable character, and it would be like pulling teeth for me to watch his antics unfold on-screen.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Cjgarland89 wrote: 21 Jun 2017, 13:48
Miriam Molina wrote:I can easily picture Superhighway as a movie that kids will like. While Alex may not be your perfect hero, he is a realistic character with strengths and flaws. A little tweaking may be needed to his character to make the story palatable for the very young.

I agree here. Considering the other movies out there, I think that being irresponsible is almost a must to have an interesting storyline these days. I would definitely see the movie, if nothing else out of curiosity.
I agree too. It has the potential to be a movie, but I think it would be a movie you either love or hate. There is always the rare chance movie writers could tweak things and make it better than the book (make characters better) but that is a slim chance. I'm almost scared to know how bad it could be if they found a way to make it worse lol
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

I also was thinking that this would be a good storyline for a movie. It could be tweaked either for a younger crowd or have him a bit older for a more mature crowd.

I can imagine some awesome special effects as he is traveling through the web. Good opportunities for humor as he appears under desks or in odd situations when dropping in from the internet.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

I would love to see this adapted to a movie. I would rate as PG13.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think a movie would be kind of Bondish. Still the main character would need more depth.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I think the idea behind the book is truly good, but it wouldn’t make for an interesting movie as it is because Alex is not really a likable character and his choices are cringeworthy most of the times. It should be adapted very loosely.
Berry :wine:
Carris72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carris72.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Carris72 »

I would enjoy it even more if this story was acted out in a movie. However, i dread the scene where Anna was killed :(
About the rating, i think PG13 is ok as long as the parts involving nudity are moderately acted out.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

While reading the book, I could imagine the movie version of it. It would be absolutely stunning.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I think Superhighway would be a good movie. When I read the book, I could visualize the scenes and Alex traveling through the Internet cables. There is a lot of action, places, people, and just enough science fiction in the story to make an interesting movie. I think PG-13 would be ok.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I think that "Superhighway" could potentially make a really good movie, particularly in terms of special effects during the traveling sequences, but I also think that if it were to become a movie, it should be rated PG-13 to attract younger adults rather than adults, who might not relate very easily to Alex.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

The general idea would make for a good movie. There would definitely be a lot to change from the book to make the Alex more likable and less predIctable. Could possibly get Jacob Tremblay to play Alex, when he’s older or play a young Alex. Or could change Alex to a female and get Halee Steinfeld.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

I don't think so that it should be adapted into a movie. The main character is not too likeable and I will not enjoy a movie full of his mistakes.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”