Do you prefer reading or watching Sci-Fi?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Vitadolce
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitadolce.html

Re: Do you prefer reading or watching Sci-Fi?

Post by Vitadolce »

I like both. Each is a different type of experience
Lyra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyra.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lyra »

This is mostly a toss between both. A well written and highly descriptive sci-fi fantasy novel could be preferable over watching its film version, as the emotional context of a well-described scenario could be lost in the visuals of a film. However, if the narrative suffers from the grand visual imagery it is trying to encapsulate for the readers, a film version would be preferable to express the magnificence of what the writer or author is trying to convey.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I like reading and watching sci-fi. I would say reading, but sometimes the technology described can be hard to picture or understand, and in the movie you can actually see it. Still, books give you more creative freedom and it's fun to try to picture it in your mind.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Penielmike
Currently Reading: The World's Greatest Serial Killers
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Penielmike »

I like both because one compliments another. A combination of the two gives you a better understanding and helps in closing any gap one could have created.
Fictions Mistress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictions-mistress.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Fictions Mistress »

Amazing question! I think it depends. When done right, sci fi is one of the most enjoyable genres to read. It's complex, but easy to understand and lose yourself in. However, it's a genre that's very easy to mess up. Done wrong and the novel becomes thoroughly unenjoyable and confusing. And quite frankly, the same goes for films. I find that many sci fi stories get too caught up in the effects, aliens, or weaponry. The heart of a good story are good characters. Without that, the rest just feels empty.
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CZCampbell »

While I enjoy a good sci-fi movie, I feel that reading a sci-fi story allows me to create the scenes in my head so that they make more sense and are more appealing to me.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

When it comes to Sci-Fi, I prefer watching rather than reading.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
magicquill
Currently Reading: Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicquill.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by magicquill »

Actually it depends on the topic or the plot. Sometimes it is good in watching it and sometimes it's much better in reading it. It's really hard to decide and there are instances wherein both proved to be good.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
livcormwidd
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reading Device: B004HZYA6E

Post by livcormwidd »

I would say it really depends for me, if the show or film etc. really captures the essence of what I love about the book and it can be guaranteed that it will be well acted, high quality piece then I would say I would prefer watching. However that doesn't always happen. As we saw with Syfy's Dune (poor Frank Herbert), although this could be unfair as the TV mini series really was the best adaption of a bad bunch, it is a difficult task to undertake translating in-depth worlds onto the screen. Ultimately I love to read Sci-Fi and would love to see a lot of my favourites depicted on TV or film, I would not want what I had imagined a world to look like to be radically changed, so maybe I should stick to reading them?
Yashasvi
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashasvi.html

Post by Yashasvi »

In Sci-Fi, I feel reading is lot more preferable to watching. I feel the reason is that what the author's words and your imagination can conjure up are far far more vivid than what a movie can come up with. Case in point would be my belief that the Honor Harrington would be next to impossible to get right in a movie.
domiciano16
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: tecno

Post by domiciano16 »

i think reading is more interesting because it brings out the writers creativity
Steve Cotterill
Currently Reading: The Captive State
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Steve Cotterill »

Reading because the author can do so much more than a TV producer. It's much easier to write compelling SF than it to make it for TV because the special effects are better and a book is always a one to one conversation rather than a public lecture (to paraphrase Warren Ellis).
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

I also like reading it, depending on how creative the writer is.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker&rsquo;s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

I think it depends on the Sci-Fi... I love reading Arthur C. Clarke as he explains things in such a way that you can actually see them and you get a wonderful understanding of the story he is telling. For Sci-Fi movies such as Star Wars, the visual effects are great to watch and I find that they are really enjoyable.
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

I prefer both because the information is not altered. Thanks for that.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”