Do you prefer reading or watching Sci-Fi?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Re: Do you prefer reading or watching Sci-Fi?

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I think that reading does require a little more work for the audience. You have to use your imagination to fill in the gaps for things that words can't describe. Watching science-fiction is fun and interesting, but it takes some of the creativity out of things.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I like both. I'd choose the book, if it comes down to it because that way I have more detail and understand the story better and movies tend to leave out some elements of the plot. I also can visualize my characters and settings exactly how I want them going off the author's descriptions. I do enjoy the movie though, because near every show has a soundtrack that goes well with whatever scene is being acted out, something I may have interpreted one way might be completely different on-screen or it might just be interesting to see certain scenes on the screen.
doreen182
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by doreen182 »

I prefer reading first. Some don’t like how the book is translated to movies, however I still enjoy both.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

When it comes on to reading it - the worldbuilding can be hard to follow and you can't always picture just what the author is attempting to portray. With movies, however, I often miss a lot of information and have to constantly backtrack. I normally try to get both.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I definitely prefer reading it! I often find that in my imagination, sci-fi and fantasy looks really cool. But a lot of times, when adapted to TV or movies, the effects can look cheesy and disappointing.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I like both. But it is very subjective. If the book has been poorly written, I will not touch another one of that particular series. Similarly for movies. For me, quality of content is most important- not the medium of consumption.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

Watching sci-fi is way easier than reading. I think the only downside is that watching kind of denies one the freedom to imagine scenes.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”