Vigilantism?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Re: Vigilantism?

Post by WestIndie001 »

I guess if your heart is in the right place... I would support vigilantism, to go completely reckless despite the law. For people who want justice served quickly, the judicial system takes too long. It would feel good to punish evildoers. I actually thought of being a real superhero at one point, but I now realize that was insane. I guess I was insane at one point.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I think there's a line, and it's up to the individual not to cross it. I also think it takes a very strong person to be able to see where the line is. And probably a lot of help along the way.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I can understand the temptations to vigilantism. But - that doesn't necessarily make it "right." In the end, God is the ultimate judge. Gotta be careful that in the quest for justice, you don't personally become as bad or worse as the person you're judging!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I can understand the temptations to vigilantism. But - that doesn't necessarily make it "right." In the end, God is the ultimate judge. Gotta be careful that in the quest for justice, you don't personally become as bad or worse as the person you're judging!
Save one thing: history is full of what could be called vigilantes who are highly idolized.

Without someone to step up and do what they think is right, there never would have been an American Revolutionary War. Or countless other revolutions, good or bad.

Not praising vigilantism here (I much prefer it in fiction to real life), just wondering where we'd all be without it.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

aw ... My mind rings bell of 'Arrow' whenever I hear the term 'VIGILANTISM' .... thought of being watched & protected by a protector like him, that would be the best feeling ever .. I would love that
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Vigilantism assumes that the justice system is useless (and probably corrupt) as hell, and citizens in society can't be trusted. There is this contradiction to trust the vigilante, while at the same time not trusting your neighborhood. Of course, there are multiple issues to be talk about vigilantism, but I'll just start with this one, since it captures most of the starting topics to talk about vigilantism.
-rk
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

I am on the fence about vigilantism really. I understand how it might be necessary at times, but I also realise it would be out of limits if left unchecked and raised for everything at all.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

Taking the law into my own hands is definitely not for me....!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

If he were a true vigilante he wouldn't use excess amounts of money for his own personal gain. I think he wants to do the right thing, but also wants to help himself and feels entitled.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

At this point, I don't think anything could drive me to true vigilantism. I could see myself stopping a crime with or without violence or capturing a bad guy, but I could not bring myself to be judge, jury, and executioner. Unlike Alex, I don't think that I could decide on and follow through with the actual punishment for a crime, especially on such a large scale.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

That was exactly my perception of Alex. He fulfills the basic criteria for the Robin Hood person - takes from the rich and gives to the poor. I also believes he recognized this in the book and acknowledged the vigilante aspect, especially when he took from the character with the illegal sources of funds and gave it to the people who had suffered as a result of that.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

It is literally the definition of vigilantism. He's seeking justice on his own terms without the cover of any official body, so it's illegal. I just hate how dull it was in his carrying out of the act. It needed something more to spruce it up a little so there'd be no doubt that vigilantism is exactly what he's doing.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Anyone who mercilessly bullies someone would drive me to vigilantism.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I would resort to vigilantism for two reasons only. (1)To protect my identity and(2)to be to lead a normal life. I think rather have an associate.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”