The ethical dilemmas in Superhighway

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Re: The ethical dilemmas in Superhighway

Post by John Cand »

I honestly enjoy a story where the bad guy loses but if the good guy does bad things to win isn't he just another bad guy winning? I hope that first sentence made sense.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

John Cand wrote:I honestly enjoy a story where the bad guy loses but if the good guy does bad things to win isn't he just another bad guy winning? I hope that first sentence made sense.
Good question. Thanks for adding your perspective.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
EHUMADU
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EHUMADU »

You cant really justify a bad act with another bad act, to me it only brings to mind the question of what type of society is best for humanity a capitalist or communist arrangement?
Spirit Wandering

EHUMADU wrote:You cant really justify a bad act with another bad act, to me it only brings to mind the question of what type of society is best for humanity a capitalist or communist arrangement?
Your comment raises a good point about how we might organize our society to establish more equity between all of our citizens. Thanks for providing your perspective.
Sjhickok
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sjhickok »

I think the key is when he said that he felt like God. Does any kind of super ability equal super wisdom? Whether the motives were good or not, one human can not be judge, jury and executioner. Will he learn? I found him from beginning to end a shallow thinker. Even if he does mature it will never give him the right to play God.
I would like to say that the phrase " my tongue felt like a piece of dangling Velcro" is a winner and I can't wait to be able to use it.
Spirit Wandering

Sjhickok wrote:I think the key is when he said that he felt like God. Does any kind of super ability equal super wisdom? Whether the motives were good or not, one human can not be judge, jury and executioner. Will he learn? I found him from beginning to end a shallow thinker. Even if he does mature it will never give him the right to play God.
I would like to say that the phrase " my tongue felt like a piece of dangling Velcro" is a winner and I can't wait to be able to use it.
Yes that is quite a color phrase. Thanks for reading the post and replying.
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I think this is a very good question! And it's very hard to answer.

One thing I do think is that Alex was just too young and immature to deal with this kind of superpower. Just because he's highly intelligent, doesn't mean he's mature.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Spirit Wandering

Pm7lucas wrote:I think this is a very good question! And it's very hard to answer.

One thing I do think is that Alex was just too young and immature to deal with this kind of superpower. Just because he's highly intelligent, doesn't mean he's mature.

Paula :D
I struggled with it myself, which is why I posed the question. Yes, I agree that Alex was too immature. I started reading the second book and it sounds like that may change. Thanks for reading and replying.
harrie
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by harrie »

this story tries to highlight what should be done by those in the responsible positions like the law enforcers

-- 24 Jul 2017, 12:05 --

its a good show of art

-- 24 Jul 2017, 12:06 --

this illustrates what the society can make its people turn to be
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

In our current worls, there are hazy shades of grey everywhere. I used to think that good and bad were black and white, but in reality it isn't. It's unclear where the lines should be drawn in many situations, but God gave us free will, so we need to use our discretion. Is commiting one wrong really righting another?
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Denise Wallace
Currently Reading: 11:05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denise-wallace.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B01HC0DVM4

Post by Denise Wallace »

Amagine wrote:I also think that he should be held accountable for his actions as well. Even though he uses the money for the better good, it's still stealing. He is still committing a crime. His crime even affects others around him. I think he should own up to his criminal actions.
Yes, Alex applies the Robin Hood principle a.k.a. "cosmopolitan prioritarianism,” which is an ethical rule that says we should think of everyone in the world in the same way, and then focus help where it helps most. This philosophy also guides the aid for health, economic development, and humanitarian emergencies.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Spirit Wandering

"Yes, Alex applies the Robin Hood principle a.k.a. "cosmopolitan prioritarianism,” which is an ethical rule that says we should think of everyone in the world in the same way, and then focus help where it helps most. This philosophy also guides the aid for health, economic development, and humanitarian emergencies."

Cosmopolitan Prioritarianism-I haven't heard of that one before now. Thanks for reading and replying.
Maulyne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maulyne.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Maulyne »

Robin Hood is not justified in doing what he did in the book .Even though he gives out whatever he gets from his unscrupulous business . One is only justified when he/she does the right thing
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

Hard question I have to agree. Being a fiction book most readers are in for recreation and not moral learning. This is a new way of thinking that you have brought in the fiction world. Let me revise the book points again.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Spirit Wandering

David_92 wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 07:56 Hard question I have to agree. Being a fiction book most readers are in for recreation and not moral learning. This is a new way of thinking that you have brought in the fiction world. Let me revise the book points again.
While I sometimes read a novel purely for escape, most of the time I am interested in seeing what type of message the author offers. In this case, I found it difficult to escape the ethical dilemma it poses. If re-reading the book in this way offers you new insight, I would be interested to hear how it changes your view of it. Thanks for posting a reply.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”