If You Created a Charity, What is it and Who Does it Help?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Re: If You Created a Charity, What is it and Who Does it Hel

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I would create two charities. 1) To help kids with nystagmus and dyslexia. My 5yr old son was born with nystagmus. I pray one day there is a cure or surgery to eliminate it.
2) I want to help kids and adults with anxiety or depression. I suffer with social anxiety and OCD. It is a daily struggle.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

In my hometown, our health department administrates a cancer fund. It reimburses people for gas money when they have to travel for chemo treatments. There are not many other charities locally who help out cancer patients at all. If I started a charity, it would be to help people with serious illnesses handle their medical bills. Even with good insurance, cancer or some other long term serious illness can financially cripple a family. GoFundMe shouldn't be the only option for so many people.
Zoey
Currently Reading: Sharing Jesus
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-modern-moses.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Zoey »

If I created a charity, it would be used to raise funds to aid child abuse victims. It would have fundraisers for children in foster care and others as well. These children would get together and truly enjoy the time they spend with one another. We would have crafts, games, snack time for those with little food at home. Everything- you name it, we have it.

The ultimate goal of this charity would be to raise enough money to petition and start a court case (if necessary) to change the ways children are taken out of abusive homes.

Principals should not contact the parents before they contact the authorities. That should be illegal. My brother has scars to prove the damage these acts can cause.

Authorities should not speak to the parents until the children are off of the property and in safe hands.

The children should not return to the parents until or unless the officials have SOLID evidence to prove the parents innocence.

A child cannot come up with these kinds of circumstances in their imaginations unless they have experienced it personally. Their minds are too innocent to think of such a thing- that is if the parents are innocent.

Last, but far from least, the courts need to consider verbal and emotional abuse just as strongly and seriously as any other form. It may seem the least harmful, but I can assure you it is the worst form out there. It is one thing when the parent physically injures the child. It is another when the child injures themselves because of the words spoken by their elders.

Thank you. I apologize for the book.
Never judge a book by its movie.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I'd like to set up a charity for poor old people and another for those with mental illness. In my country, we do not have enough institutions to care for these people who are in need of love and understanding.
Greatachiever
Currently Reading: Silk And Scholar
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatachiever.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by Greatachiever »

Hmmmm....I would really love to have a foundation that puts youmg people on the path of greatness, one that will help them harness their talents and gifts, using them early enough.
Then I would also like to see How I can support cancer victims, especially those that wouldnt be able to afford treatment. While thinking of it, I really think its because My Dad died of Cancer, and today I remember him, as it is Fathers' day...So sad
masterhawk88
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masterhawk88.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by masterhawk88 »

I'd create a charity to help people get vehicles. Not everyone lives in big cities where mass transit is cheap, and if you live out in the boonies like I do, and you don't have a vehicle (also like me) finding meaningful employment is bloody hard.
Through books, I have lived not just one life but thousands.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I'd create one for the homeless, maybe offer them free bed and breakfast. I get to see them around a lot, almost never able to assist, the guilt...
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I love your idea about promoting reading with children. My charity would also involve kids and making a difference in their lives with positive roll models and caring for their needs.
Owori Silver Osuna
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owori-silver-osuna.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Owori Silver Osuna »

Well in our developing countries like mine, our biggest challenge and worry is about lack of employments. I have always dreamed of starting a music and entertainment industry and a football team that would raise the youths into self reliant adults. Or better still a Vocational Training Institute for those who unfortunately cannot make it to the university. I believe in the promotion of talents and most talents in Africa have gone wasted because of lack of nurturing and promotion.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Greatachiever
Currently Reading: Silk And Scholar
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatachiever.html

Post by Greatachiever »

Owori Silver Osuna wrote:Well in our developing countries like mine, our biggest challenge and worry is about lack of employments. I have always dreamed of starting a music and entertainment industry and a football team that would raise the youths into self reliant adults. Or better still a Vocational Training Institute for those who unfortunately cannot make it to the university. I believe in the promotion of talents and most talents in Africa have gone wasted because of lack of nurturing and promotion.

Well I wouldnt call not being able to go to university unfortunate, thats one of the mentality killing africans, we think everyone must make it through books. Nice dream though, stick to it. You wont regret it.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

I would create a charity that supplied free sanitary towels to all females. I come from a community that lets their kids go to school without because its too expensive and most cannot afford it. its always embarassing for majority of these teenagers hence many opt to not attend school till their periods are over, which costs them valuable school time. I went to school with kids such as these and many of them were so discouraged by this sort of humiliation that they ended up dropping out.
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

if i created a charity which I hope to create in the not too distant future, I would be more inclined to concentrate on maternal health in Africa. with the kind of technological advancement in the world, no mother should have to lose her child as a result of poor maternal health care or the lack of it.
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

I would create a charity for domestic violence. The frequency and severity of domestic violence in my country Nigeria and Africa in general is so high. A lot of women are being abused physically, emotionally, and psychologically by their husbands and even their husbands' relatives, and nobody does anything about it not even the law. If I created a charity it will be one that will reach out to these women, to give them strength, courage and help fight and get the justice they rightly deserve.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
opaja
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by opaja »

I would help the orpans through education, accommodation; because growing up in the orphanage is the worst thing you would dream of its like a prison.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

Amagine wrote:In the book, Alexander Fine creates different charities and donates his money to many people who are less unfortunate than him. I

If you created your own charity, what would your charity be about? Who would benefit from it?

As for me, my passion lies in creating a love for reading within all children. I would want to create a charity that promotes giving books and creating personal libraries for children who are in the foster care system or who are simply less fortunate. I want volunteers from my charity to go out and promote reading aloud by visiting homes and reading aloud to the children. I would also want a literacy-rich recreational center that they can go to that's free for them. I don't have a name for my charity yet.
I have seen many people who couldn't afford a meal including children and adults. My charity would cater to these people. I would have a food store that will distribute free food to these people.
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”