If You Created a Charity, What is it and Who Does it Help?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: If You Created a Charity, What is it and Who Does it Hel

Post by Amagine »

This one might sound strange and a lot of people may disagree with me but I would want to create a charity that helps ex-felons. When they get out of prison, it's hard to find a job, a stable home and much more. They then turn back to a life of crime because they don't have any real support in the outside world. I think there should be more organizations that help to build them up so they won't turn back to crime.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Amagine wrote:This one might sound strange and a lot of people may disagree with me but I would want to create a charity that helps ex-felons. When they get out of prison, it's hard to find a job, a stable home and much more. They then turn back to a life of crime because they don't have any real support in the outside world. I think there should be more organizations that help to build them up so they won't turn back to crime.
I don't disagree with you. There are a few charities like that near me that help and act as half way houses and people definitely need help with rehabilitation after prison. Some people just don't want the help though, and I think you can't help people that don't want to change.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Post by Izesicle »

I donate to two charities now, one for children and one for education. If I were to set up my own charity, I would set up one that involves education and reading. I am alarmed that people and children are not reading quality anymore.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

Really interesting question! My charity would be about helping struggling and poverty stricken communities to become self sufficient. The old saying about teaching a man to fish and all that. I would love to set up a support system where people can learn to make it for themselves. Start a school for example, and have rewards for staying in school. Then you could send certain people to become teachers and they could teach other interested members of the community etc. It could be done from crops all the way to construction.
PRAXIDES
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 98862">The 11.05 Murders</a>
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praxides.html
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts

Post by PRAXIDES »

I would create a charity for single mothers who don't have any income generating activities to sustain them. I will train them in table banking and empowerment them to start income generating activities.
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts
Miraf Hoshi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Miraf Hoshi »

I would really love to start a charity that caters homeless people. Nowadays, it's really a hard case living out in the streets/anywhere knowing theirs a lot of so-called "bad guys". Bad weathers coming so just like us, they also need shelter. Well there's a whole lot more to discuss if that would be the topic.
ruelboy17
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ruelboy17 »

For me, instead of giving money for children/people I'd rather teach them God's word for them to encourage to remain strong to do good job for Him. I mean it's good to help them but sometimes money is the root of evil.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I would sell my paintings and would collect money and I would give that money to the old age homes to help old people. I would feel really happy by doing so.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I would make a society and community that takes care of unwanted children.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Vallen Kale
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vallen-kale.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Vallen Kale »

If I could create a charity I would like to create a foundation for Cancer research. I am aware that right now, there are a lot of charities and foundations dedicating to this cause, but I want to be an extra force pushing for the ultimate remedy for all kinds of cancer.

I lost my brother to cancer and right now my girlfriend is battling the disease. She is getting better now and all things are going in the right direction.

I have seen first hand what cancer can do to people and it pains me the most when it happens to your loved ones. I don't hate cancer, by the way. I understand that it happens for a reason and that the abnormal cells inside are simply have problems of their own. But I wish there is a remedy, THE cure, for every single one of it.

As for what kind of charity or foundation it would be, I think it should be a sports competition. It is fun and healthy. People can have fun and they will save lives at the same time as well. The donations they provide shall be delivered to Cancer research institutes or to assist cancer patients.

My apologies for such a dramatic and lengthy post. Sometimes I tend to get carried away.
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Shireks Nancy
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireks-nancy.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Shireks Nancy »

If I were to create a charity, it will be to promote writing among all members of society, I will ensure there is a lot of money for writing competitions and would encourage writing as a hobby among children, not an obligation.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Wow, I like this. If given a chance to have a charity, I will help the street children, and help the people don't know how to read and write.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I would so volunteer for your charity, Amagine!

Mine would be something to help victims of gender-based violence and abuse. I would fund women's refuges and hotlines. I'd provide for children too.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
myprecious
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myprecious.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by myprecious »

Hi Amagine,

I admire you for even thinking on charities that you wanted to pursue. I have to say push for it. You never knew how much less fortunate people appreciate that kind of charity. Having been working in non profit for many years, I have been with volunteers from around the world passionately doing this.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I would have to have two charities...one for abused women and children and another for helping animals!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”