Do You Like the Sci-fi/ Fantasy Genre?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Do You Like the Sci-fi/ Fantasy Genre?

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

I too love sci-fi/ fantasy books because they ignite your thinking capacity to also imagine other life beyond your planet. Most of them will relate aliens technology and earthlings or environmental conservation. I just like them however much the information may be unbelievable.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jimthorne2 »

I enjoy the Sci-fi/ Fantasy Genre because it allows me to travel to Frontiers where no man has gone.
Jim Thorne
indubitabubbly
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indubitabubbly.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by indubitabubbly »

A couple of months ago I would have told you no. However, I have stumbled upon some good sci-fi/fantasy novels lately that have me reconsidering the genre. I have found that any story with strong character development will hold my interest.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

Good character development is necessary for any gnere.
Jim Thorne
fiona gennis
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by fiona gennis »

Yes I must admit I do. It stimulates gives me the feeling of living in a different world , I must admit though that I prefer Science fiction over fantasy science fiction most of all, gives me the ability to imagine myself in an entirely different type of world , or the future of this one. I like excitement ,as well as interest in my books, a feeling of being involved with something new that I can feel myself being a part of,. I.ts fun
Dolkar
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Dolkar »

for me i like fantasy genre better because it is the creation of authors imagination of 'what if there is something like that?'. Fantasy genre gives fantasy world for readers whose life is hard and doomed. Everyday realistic world is boring. Fantasy world makes it interesting to read.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I love, love, love these genres. I love seeing the creativity of the author, and I find that it sparks my own creativity, too. I love being transported into a world that doesn't contain the usual limits of ours. There's just something about a little magic that makes me what to be able to visit the worlds within these types of books.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I found a few Sci-Fi books interesting, but overall, I would not want to read a Sci-Fi book. I'm not a technology person and I find quite a few books difficult to follow.
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

Sci-fi fantasy genre feeds on and builds the imagination of the reader. In our world where false news and lies are common, one must learn how to control the imagination with the critical thinking required for reading this genre.
Jim Thorne
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I do like these genres and read the towering classics at a young age: Orwell's 1984, everything by Tolkien, especially Lord of the Rings, Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea Quartet and The Dispossessed (brilliant!) and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Attwood (one of the most wonderful books ever written even if it is disturbing).

I have enjoyed many more minor works too, though those are a mixed bag. Thinking about it, all of those works have the ability to fascinate and disturb and I'd say that's what I love about this genre - that it can portray fantasy worlds so vividly that you ache for them to be real, yet the best works have a dark, terrifying undercurrent too. This genre showcases the power of the human imagination, and the best and worst that humans are capable of.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
michiness
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michiness.html
Latest Review: "An Unexpected Life" by Victoria Ortiz

Post by michiness »

They're some of my favourites!
Latest Review: "An Unexpected Life" by Victoria Ortiz
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

Naturally I don't, but I do give it a try if people who have read it give positive view about it.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Richard Mudd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-mudd.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Richard Mudd »

Sci-Fi certainly, I am a massive and long term fan, Fantasy to me is an entirely different genre and not one I often read, except by accident. I like good, at least credible, science in my Sci-Fi and lots of it, of course, there needs to be a decent plot line too, believable characters and endings that provoke thought, rather than seek to deliver a message. Like anyone who reads Sci-Fi I have a metaphorical supply of "suspend disbelief" pills but any story that needs me to take more than one of these before I've got past the first chapter is probably never going to be finished but that doesn't happen often. Like all fiction Sci-Fi is an escape into a different world from where we live, although the best stories take you to another plausible alternative, perhaps only slightly removed but fundamentally different, that's great as far as I'm concerned.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Kyle789
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle789.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Kyle789 »

I love the genres when they are mixed together. They take me into another world were anything is possible.
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
EWinters
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewinters.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by EWinters »

I'm not a fan of either genres, particularly fantasy. I just do not have in supply the suspension of disbelief plots in these genres, especially the latter, take.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”