Overall Rating and Opinion of "Superhighway"

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Superhighway"

Post by Celticlady »

I was not sure if I was going to like this book or not, the concept of being able to travel through the internet on the inside was something I found to be pretty fascinating. Plus being able to do what Alex was able to do while in there was pretty amazing. Even though Alex is only 18, I got the feeling that he was actually older than he is. I really enjoyed the book and I look forward to reading the second book!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I did not expect to like this story but I ended up loving it. I read it solely because it is BOTM. I give it a 4 out of 4 stars. The concept works in a weird sort of way. Almost like a time travel story but it all stays in the present. The characters are for the most part well developed. I expect to see more development in the second book. I was drawn into Alex's character. I would have liked to have known a bit more about the orphanage. It'll be interesting to see where this story goes next. I've been wanting to start it but didn't want to know what happens next until I participated in these forums.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I have enjoyed the story so far, but unfortunately I had to put it down. I have short breaks in which I get the chance to catch up on reading, and unfortunately I really got slammed with work (and homework) around the time I started reading it.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mollymae »

I intentionally didn't read any reviews before I read the book. It's funny to see the variation in what people thought about the book. I quite enjoyed it but see that others were not as interested as I was.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
trulyblessed80
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by trulyblessed80 »

It is the story of a young man who wants to use his powers for good, but makes mistakes en route to discovering the truth behind his supernatural abilities.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Some really interesting concepts in this book! Definitely repetitive at points, but a really good read otherwise!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I was not impressed with this book. I was interested at first, when Alex's early adoption experiences were being described, but I had to force myself to finish it. The writing style wasn't bad, exactly, but it was a little awkward and stilted throughout the whole book, especially the dialogue. (I think I read somewhere that the author isn't a native English speaker, which would explain a lot. But still, dialogue is difficult, so it's something to work on.)

I also found all of the characters to be pretty flat and lacking in depth, including Alex. What made me upset, though, was the author's treatment of the women in the story. Alex was basically incapable of being in the same room with a woman without objectifying her in some way. That makes me dislike him as a character, but that doesn't necessarily make me dislike the book. HOWEVER, what DOES make me dislike the book is the fact that nothing even hints that there's anything wrong with sexually objectifying every woman in his life. Plus, none of these women felt like real people at all. It was just so clear to me that they were just there to be props or sex objects for Alex. I don't know, the whole book kind of felt like it was some sort of fantasy/wish-fulfillment for the author.

I feel a little bad for being so negative, but those things bothered me quite a bit. The story and the ideas behind it definitely had some promise, though.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Karrar Ri
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karrar-ri.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00GQDBZUY

Post by Karrar Ri »

yes , i liked it honestly I will give it 3 out of 4 stars . I absolutly recomanded for my friends .
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
CHL
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chl.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by CHL »

Although it's a bad habit to not finish a book and rate it, some books may not have the ability to contain the readers' interest. That's just bad. But some people have a different opinion. Quite interesting!
"Do not take life too seriously, no one gets out alive anyway."
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

The overall premise of the book captured my attention. Its seems from the comments that its one of those books that take a few chapters to capture your attention, which I don't mind at all.
Eron
Currently Reading: Superhighway

Post by Eron »

I would give 4 out of 5 its a good book
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I really didn't like this book. I got through 2/3 of it before finally deciding to give in and drop it. I just wasn't able to get into the story. I didn't care about any of the characters.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Denis Maina

Post by Denis Maina »

I guess it might have captured my attention in a whole different dimension.Not a bad book though i'd recommend it
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

I normally don't read sci-fi books, but this one sounds intriguing going by the reviews. I hope the other series in the trilogy will arouse as much interest. It's now on my reading shelf, and I hope it makes like reading sci-fi again (I read them in my childhood days).
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-solomon-ikechu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Nwoko Solomon Ikechu »

Looking at the limitations and inabilities of man in various areas of life, man is most often tempted to imagine the extraordinary. Alex may have thought what good he could do for people, especially the weak if he had supernatural powers and unlimited abilities. As I read this book I also was imaging what I could have done for myself, lovely family and others if I had supernatural powers and unlimited abilities. Though I'm not really a fan of stories of people with special abilities and there some vulgar expressions and actions which I disliked, however, I love this story for it creativity and power of imagination. Kudos to Alex Fayman for this thrilling story.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”