Live animals at home?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Live animals at home?

Post by Kb3ck »

My husband and I have two cats named Nightwing and Kevin. They have helped me control my temper and not get upset so quickly. Training the cats to stay off the counter was not an easy job but we succeeded.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

We have a dog, and it's been great, but we're really afraid about losing her. :(
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
david morris
Currently Reading: david morris
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by david morris »

As a child I lived with animals in and around the home, dogs and cats in, budgies, rabbits and chickens outside, the last two for the table though. Whilst in the third year of Primary school I finally got a dog that I could call my own, Inky, a mongrel who was my almost constant companion, wherever I went. I was fortunate in that I had more freedom than many of my peers to wander and explore, even though this arose from what others would describe as a poor upbringing, from my perspective it was great. Unfortunately, Inky was a wanderer in his own right and would disappear for a day or two from time to time, I got used to that and didn't worry when he went off for what proved to be the last time, I never saw him again and have no idea what his fate was. To this day, some 65 years later, if I see a dog that resembles him I have to stifle a shout of his name, ridiculous I know, but there it is. Anyway, that was then, after that I never had another dog or pet of any kind, mostly by choice but also circumstances, that eventually changed. My wife and I had a truly difficult time with our second child, a daughter, who caused us endless and profound heartache for several years, in desperation I sought out something, anything that might mitigate our hurt and possibly heal some emotional wounds and I thought of Inky. I'm glad I did. We rescued a beautiful Rottweiler from a centre where her fate was, in time, sure and she (Sheba) has now been with us for the last 9 years, even emigrating from the UK with us. She has been a point of love and affection that all the family has been able to share and a bonding agent between us too. So yes, animals in the home are a very, very good thing in my view.
riazziea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riazziea.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by riazziea »

I feel animals are very important, in anybody's life. I, myself, am an animal lover and rescuer. I have 2 dogs, 2 fish, a rabbit, and a horse. I personally don't have any kids but my 8yr old nephew had been introduced to all of my animals. He has been able to learn responsibility, care, and even how to be gentle with all animals. I believe that being able to care for an animal is the first step in being able to love and care for other humans. The animals are here for us and will do anything for us, why can't we do the same for them?
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I have chicken and a dog which have taught the whole family lessons on responsibility because each takes turns to feed them
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I have a cat that acts more like a two year old child. She was adopted at six weeks and grew up around humans. It is fun to watch her try to be like us. For example, she refuses to sleep unless she is covered by a blanket. She will literally try to spread the blanket out herself. Some people assume animals are stupid. However, they are just as clever as we are.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

That must be cute. Her blancat must be made-to-order.
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I was never allowed to have animals at home by my parents. Maybe that is the reason I am not able to have one even now. I am little scared..
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, V_bansal2912! I can relate to your fears. We have always had animals (dogs, cats, fish, chickens) at home, but I still haven't learned to cuddle them. But that doesn't mean I don't care for them. I do.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

We always have dogs and cats. They are entertaining, especially if they want food.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I don't have any children, being barely adult myself but I have two dogs and a cat. I can't exactly say that I've learnt a lot from then but in some way they've made me understand myself. I never thought of myself as very emotional or even an animal-lover, my ideal pet is still a goldfish. They don't poop all over the place or make noise.

But my oldest dog is in the last few weeks of her life and I've been sobbing since realizing. Over the years I've made the least efforts to interact with her and now I'm regretting it. I don't want her to go out thinking I resented her or anything

So I guess what I'm saying is that I've learned that just by existing within the same space man and animal can form bonds.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I love cats but my mother doesn't like to have any pets.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

We have a little Cairn terrier girl and guinea pig gentleman. Both are constantly lavished with love and I think the most brilliant lesson they give to our kids, is to respect all life and to treat animals well and with respect, because their wellbeing depends on us so much.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

We've always had animals of various kinds. There has almost always been at least one dog in our house, and the kids growing up had the usual array of pets: birds, turtles, rabbits, etc.
Now, my wife and I have quite the menagerie. A dog, birds (parrots, budgies, a cockatiel, and quail), pythons, lizards (monitors and dragons), rabbits, chickens (including six 3 week old chicks), and mice (for breeding to feed the reptiles). Also have a woodie colony to feed the lizards.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

@Pinefamily
You were not kidding about the menagerie. You can charge a fee to let people view your pets, lol! Pythons and dragon lizards :o

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”