Differences?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Differences?

Post by Gravy »

Kailey and Sammy are relatively similar and become fast friends, but are worried when a new, much different animal joins the farm.

Do you find that your friends are more like you than not? Or do you find that your friends tend to be different than you? Maybe its a mix?

Do you think we're predisposed to judge others by their differences? Or by their similarities to others we've encountered?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

My friends tend to be the same as me when it comes to interests and things we like to do. I don't judge someone for being physically different than me. I have judged people in the past who didn't share my common interests but I no longer do that.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

My friends are more like me than not, which is only natural. I don't judge others by their differences and never did.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I don't mind differences and I do think that having a variety of different personalities in one's circle is refreshing, but the friends closest to me are the ones I share values, traits and interests with more than my acquaintances.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

My friends are usually pretty different than me. I found that whereas I am pretty quiet, almost all of my other friends are extremely talkative and more extroverted. We have other differences too, but I this is a common theme I have found.
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

some of my friends are the same with me while some are not based on how we all view things,yes at times we judge others without even know we do that based on their individual differences.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I do think that a lot of people are predisposed to judge people based on appearances and personal opinions. I also think that comes from the people they were raised around.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

My friends are more similar to me - we have similar opinions and enjoy similar activities.

I try my best to not judge other people based on their differences, but sometimes being in a city and walking around quite often, I tend to judge which path to take based on who is on that path. But, this might be a gender thing more than differences.

When meeting new people in a safe gathering, then the judgment disappears and I tend to be welcoming to all.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I have found that when a person reminds me of someone I've had negative experiences with, I tend to associate them with that. This doesn't stop me from persuing friendship (though sometimes it should). Albeit, the similarities aren't physical, so perhaps it doesn't fit this exact question, but that's one of the things that made me think of it.

It's interesting to see the range of answers.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I think it's human nature to be attracted to those that have similar interests/lifestyles as you do. However, a lot of my close friends are actually very different from me. We were drawn together by similar interests, but we definitely have a lot of differences that make our relationships so interesting. I always learn a lot from my friends and their different experiences.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

MarisaRose wrote:I think it's human nature to be attracted to those that have similar interests/lifestyles as you do. However, a lot of my close friends are actually very different from me. We were drawn together by similar interests, but we definitely have a lot of differences that make our relationships so interesting. I always learn a lot from my friends and their different experiences.
I'm the same way. Even though I have friends who are the same as me, I have friends who I share things in common with too. It makes for an interesting friendship because our differences help us to learn so much from each other.

Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Our differences is the challenge and the beauty of our creation. We have different colors and appearance. What divides us is not really our differences but it us more on an understandingof these differences.

-- 13 May 2017, 02:52 --
Amagine wrote:My friends tend to be the same as me when it comes to interests and things we like to do. I don't judge someone for being physically different than me. I have judged people in the past who didn't share my common interests but I no longer do that.
We have the same case. When I was younger, I tend to judge other people especially those who have no religion or from a different religion. Now, that I am more mature, judgment comes after discrnment.

-- 13 May 2017, 20:28 --
Amagine wrote:I do think that a lot of people are predisposed to judge people based on appearances and personal opinions. I also think that comes from the people they were raised around.
I agree. It is almost innate in us to judge people especially people from other races or other ethnicities. We have either inferiority or superiority complex over the other races.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Gravy wrote:I have found that when a person reminds me of someone I've had negative experiences with, I tend to associate them with that. This doesn't stop me from persuing friendship (though sometimes it should). Albeit, the similarities aren't physical, so perhaps it doesn't fit this exact question, but that's one of the things that made me think of it.

It's interesting to see the range of answers.
I'm glad that you give people a chance even though they remind you of someone else. Sometimes they may turn out to be exactly who you thought they were, sometimes they may surprise you.

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

When making friends, I don't look or care about race, ethnicity, gender, or anything really that would make us different. I give everyone the same openness. Growing up, my family didn't have quite the same openness, but I think being in a pretty urban public school my entire life, I just naturally became more open.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Escarilla
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Escarilla »

I find that my friends have similar interests as me. I tend to gravitate towards people who share similar outlooks in life. We enjoy similar activities and talk about things that we have in common. Even though we have differences, we are still able to get along with each other.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”