Illustrations in Children's books

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Illustrations in Children's books

Post by Tomiwa »

the illustration of a child's book should be simple,proper and appropriate.because a faulty foundation will really affect the child in the future
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

They definitely have to be good for children especially, since it's what really grabs attention. I also find that, considering how little words are in children's books, the illustrations tell a lot of the story.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

What I find interesting and picturesque about the book is the scene with Farmer Beau and his wife on the veranda, against the lush blue sky and the pristine greenery of the ground. Quite a good art work, adding flamboyance to the book.

-- 06 May 2017, 19:34 --
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

The artwork in books such as this one is typically what draws me in at first. I agree, in that it definitely adds more too the book.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I believe that illustrations are necessary for children to learn better. Even adults can better appreciate anything with a visual aid. Good visuals enhance interest, grab attention and aid recall. As the song goes, "a picture paints a thousand words!"

Why do we think Mickey Mouse remains to be Disney's most famous character to this day?
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't know why but I'm not a fan of illustrations in children's books that look like they've been drawn with paper and crayons. If a child is illustrating the book, then its fine. If it's an adult, I expect better quality.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I think illustrations are highly important, since a lot of the time they are the determining factor in whether the child enjoys the book enough to want it read over and over. Also, for a parent that has to stare at the same few pages time and time again, a nice simple but pleasant design makes a huge difference.
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Illustrations are very important. For example most of Roald Dahl's books are illustrated by Quentin Blake. His drawings look like scribbles, yet at the same time they are so imaginative. I love them.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I really think illustrations make or break a children's book. In order to hold a child's interest you need to have a lot more than words. Even a story with amazing characters and a great narrative will fall flat if a child cannot be visually engaged. I think a lot of this has to do with imagination. Children's minds are always running and it's hard for them to focus just on words at such a young age. I remember as a child I really loved illustrations because they would start additional conversation. After reading the words on the page, my parents and I would always talk about what we see in the illustrations and what we liked/disliked/found funny etc. Illustrations really add so much to a children's book!
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Illustrations are huge in children books. Children need to learn to love to read. However, give them a book with a bunch of words and they shy away. At first we need to hook them, make them interested. Then use the illustrations as a reference to learning, reading, and ideas/sentences that may be lost on them.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

e-tasana-williams wrote:For me, the illustrations in this book were a bit flat. They had a feel of being computer generated and did not draw me into the story.
I agree with this sentiment. I was not too impressed by the illustrations in this book. But I guess the beauty of computer generated art is that the field is now open to anybody, rather than being limited to specialized artists.
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

I think the importance depends on how old the child is. For young children and infants, illustrations and especially colours help children's to learn. If they can visually see what the word looks like they will probably learn it easier! For older children, illustrations can still be enjoyable but not so helpful as they distract from reading the words on the page.
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

I think the illustrations should fit the tone of the book. Now, that's a bit hard to visualize considering the tone of most children's books is light and innocent, but think about No, David! I love that book, and not just for the prose. The illustrations really make the work come alive! You might also consider Shel Silverstein's poetry collections. His poems are illustrated sparingly but the tiny pencil characters give the words life. Illustrations are definitely important in children's books, as it fosters imagination and development, but the pictures should definitely work seamlessly with the text.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bluegreenmarina wrote:I think illustrations are highly important, since a lot of the time they are the determining factor in whether the child enjoys the book enough to want it read over and over. Also, for a parent that has to stare at the same few pages time and time again, a nice simple but pleasant design makes a huge difference.
I agree. Illustrations are what the children see first when they are introduced to a book, and it becomes the deciding factoring of children loving that book or not. It also may influence in trying other books. For instance, if they enjoy the illustrations in a book or two, then they might be willing to try a new book. But, if their interest wasn't held, then they might become more reluctant in trying a new book.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Jessiebessie123 wrote:Visual is the best form of inprinting at such a young age so i think it is essential.
Illustrations are essential in children's books. They are also critical. The artist has a great responsibility to make images which almost represent reality. This is to avoid confusion among kids.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”