Thoughts on the possibility of a female God?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Re: Thoughts on the possibility of a female God?

Post by TashaCrispin »

I do not believe there is a possibility of God being a ''She''. In the Bible, whose scriptures were revealed to the authors, God is always displayed as a ''He''. If one believes in the Bible scriptures, they would not think of God as female.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

In the roman and greek mythology there are a lot of female Gods, but sometimes they are pictured as vicious and evil or only beautiful, which doesn't make a God now. As we see God from our religions, we see someone very powerful, ruthless and merciful, understanding and caring. All of these features are what a mother should be. Even if we see God as a man and our Father, he has all the traits to being actually our mother, or this is what we look for. I would love for God to be female and this point makes the book very interesting.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I think it depends in one's culture. Others have both female and male gods. For my part, I do not see anything wrong with the portrayal of God as a female. Besides, if there really is an Ultimate Being who loves humans dearly, I don't think He/She would even bother what humans call Him/Her, whether Mother or Father.
Catherine Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-davis.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Catherine Davis »

I was shocked to read the reference of God as a woman. It just never had a thought in my mind of referencing God as a female. Has nothing to do with gender equality and to someone who doesn't believe in God, its no big deal. The bible has never referenced him as "her" and he was a carpenter by trade which in biblical times was a man's position. I first thought maybe it was an error but the by the second reference, I thought "wow".
itashichan
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itashichan.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by itashichan »

fayetino wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 01:43 in terms of religion this book was really confusing. God was referred to as she, isn't it supposed to be goddess then. I also didn't understand if this was a made up religion or an existing one.
I found it very confusing too. It was kind of just dropped in there and not talked about, and since the character thinking of "Her" was Catholic or raised as, it was a bit strange. (I think both Arthur and Abigail think of God as a she at some point in the book?)
Most of the book implied that it's set in our world, with the supernatural stuff going on behind the scenes. People tend to not refer to the Christian God as a she, so at first I got the implication that these characters knew something most people don't, like they'd met Her or something, but then it wasn't talked about at all so that implied it was meant to be normal but it just felt really off. In fact, it was explicitly stated that the Council don't know if there's a "true" religion and the Christian characters just called the evil beings demons because that's what they'd been taught, so why would they refer to God with a gender that is the direct opposite of what's taught? There's no reason for it at all and it doesn't really add to the book. If there was a little sentence of explanation like "Abigail didn't know for certain it was a she, but that's what she felt" or something like that it wouldn't stick out so painfully.

And this is coming from someone who primarily worships a Goddess, not a God. :eusa-think:
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

I loved it that God was female! YES! The only other place god was a woman was in The Shack. Excellent book too. God is male because men decided that. Part of the autocratic rule for the many centuries. We each decide. Nothing is written in stone. And quite frankly, God could even be a dog. Yes, I've forgotten the name of the book but the author had god inhabit the dog's body and it wasn't a purebred. It was a scrappy looking cur in a series by JR Ward. I thought that was freaking great!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the very idea of ​​the existence of a female God is very provocative.
the_bibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bibliofile.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by the_bibliofile »

We often refer to nature as mother nature, and as someone already mentioned there are goddesses in multiple religions so it's definitely a possibility. The real question is, why not? To be honest, I never thought as God as only male, we have multiple gods and goddesses in our religion and it hasn't ever occurred to me that a goddess is something that people find different or something unheard of.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

In many of the ancient religions, there were and still are female gods. As they are often defined as the strongest and greatest of the gods. The sex of a supposed deity who has inevitable power can hardly be determined. It depends more on the opinion of everyone, and it will change from person to person. Personally, I am not a believer, but I think that the sex of the deity would hardly matter to people.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I have grown up with Hindu mythology, which is filled with goddesses, so it's not hard for me to imagine that. But it comes to Christianity, I'm not sure. But I do believe in gender equality, so if you think of God as a female, I don't really see a problem with that.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Krystagbelen wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 14:11 In the book, God is often referred to as She. What are your thoughts on the possibility of there being a female God? What would be some key differences between a female God and a male God?
I am a believer, in my belief, God is a He but according to the context of this book. God could be referred to as a Her.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The God of the Christianity is undeniably a He. It’s mentioned many times in the Bible so I am sure God is male, or doesn’t have a gender. There are several different religions in the world, and some of them have female gods. I really think that God has no gender.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

I don’t really know much about such history, traditions or religions so I’ll refrain from speaking on it.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”