Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Re: Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

I've thought about it for a while. I'm Christian, and even still I struggle with this everyday. People are dying from starvation, children are being sold into sex trafficking, wars are taking millions of lives, and sometimes, I'm not even sure the "leaders-of-the-free-world" are doing anything about it. Personally, I believe that God puts obstacles in our lives because he knows we're stronger than we think we are. All we can do is ask God to give us the strength we need to get through those troubled times.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

Ghingir wrote:I, too, have an issue with this. I have always wondered why God can't just stop really bad things happening to good people. Yes, we have free will and can cause bad things to happen to us by wrong actions and/or decisions, but that doesn't mean that God couldn't stop whatever bad things from happening in the end. He could teach us in a less threatening manner what it is we are to learn. I believe that is just an excuse by Christians to explain why God seems to not be there (sometimes). I have a feeling I'll be flamed for that last statement, but that is how I feel.

Death, on the other hand, even at a young age, I don't consider to be a bad thing if it happens to a good person. While the good person's friends and family will, of course, be hurt tremendously, it is a reward to the good person to be taken early to Heaven, and avoid whatever horrible tragedies may have befallen them in life. They will not need to suffer through what a lot of us already have, or will in the future. I believe that early exit through death is a gift from God to the truly good. So, if you're still here, you got some learning to do, Lucy! Including myself... My, I'll probably live forever, haha.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!
I absolutely love your views on this topic. I buried my son when he was only 89 days old. You are the first person ever to make me realize that it was actually a blessing for him to be taken at such a young age. Thank you ☺️
Have you read Raven' Peak? I did a review on it and it really made me think about a lot of things.

-- 02 Jun 2017, 03:31 --
TheSeelieCourtJester wrote:I've thought about it for a while. I'm Christian, and even still I struggle with this everyday. People are dying from starvation, children are being sold into sex trafficking, wars are taking millions of lives, and sometimes, I'm not even sure the "leaders-of-the-free-world" are doing anything about it. Personally, I believe that God puts obstacles in our lives because he knows we're stronger than we think we are. All we can do is ask God to give us the strength we need to get through those troubled times.
Do you mean kind of force us to have faith and believe in Him? I like that way of thinking.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
jennyfalcone62809
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyfalcone62809.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by jennyfalcone62809 »

Satan causes the bad things to happen and God turns all things into something good. God uses these things to make us into stronger people. Most of the time we can not see the blessing that it is until much later.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Josh0018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Josh0018 »

This question seems hard to answer. Indeed, this is the question asked not only by Haatim but also me. Every time bad things happen to a good individual I often consider it as a challenge given by God to test how long will you stand and be resilient in every obstacle that traps you in life.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I'm not really sure why bad things happen to good people. I have asked myself this question many times since my son was diagnosed with a debilitating illness. He is an innocent. Why would God choose to make him sick? I don't really know. I guess I can only choose to have faith that it is all some kind of plan that I do not understand yet. But sometimes it is a hard pill to swallow.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Bad things do not only happen to good people; bad person suffer as well. They get sick, they lose beloved relatives and they die too. Besides, unexpected events overtake us all. It could be a natural disaster, an accident or any unfortunate event. It is true God allows them to happen, but he does not cause them. I truly believe God allows bad things to happen to good people because He has the power to fix things at the moment He has appointed.
Mrsbellaz
Currently Reading: Who told you that you were naked
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsbellaz.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Mrsbellaz »

I have felt that same thing quite often, but bad things happen to good people and bad people. But as they say, you can get bitter or you can get better. Our struggles can either strengthen us or break us down. Ultimately, I don't think I would let it cripple my beliefs. (At least I hope not.)
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
May Elizabeth Tan

Post by May Elizabeth Tan »

Maybe your doing bad things to others . Also call "Karma"
Shaddtheimpaler

Post by Shaddtheimpaler »

Its simple because god wants you to appreciate what you have and learn from your mistakes.
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

in my opinion the key word here is 'allow' meaning that God still has control over the situation. when the word 'allow' is used even in other circumstances it means there is a degree of control over the situation and that is what the nature of God is. he is all powerful and not limited by time.
Fuzee4
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 427

Post by Fuzee4 »

That's God's way of testing his people. A good person would stay true to his faith no matter what happens to him. Good or Bad. Besides, people only seem to remember God when bad things happen. Don't you think?
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

God does not control humanity like so many robots or puppets -- he gives us the free will to choose what we will do. The world is also broken and imperfect -- that is my understanding of why evil and bad things happen. The Bible says that God works all things together for good to those who love him. God offers eternal life in heaven where everything will be made right and no evil will be allowed.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

God allows bad things to happen to good people so that he can test them to see whether they truly love and trust him. It is their faith that is being tested. If you persevere and continue trusting in God, good things follow.
ramare kendi

Post by ramare kendi »

i totally agree with you Rose. God can never tst yiu beyond our abilities mostly it is a prepation for what is to come in future
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

This I ask myself almost every single day of my life. It's almost like the bad people get blessed naturally, like it pays to be bad and the good ones get punished. This question is a hard nut to crack so I'll just go sip on some tea instead.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”