Suffering as a way of purification in "Raven's Peak"

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Re: Suffering as a way of purification in "Raven's Peak"

Post by fayetino »

to me that is just absurd. Maybe if I research the topic I might understand it better but at this point I can't fathom why someone would put themselves through that when I can't even stand the slightest pain.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I don't know if suffering can purify someone but I think the love of God can do it.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Harrygx3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrygx3.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Post by Harrygx3 »

I believe suffering is the consequence of your actions that go wrong. I don't know exactly what is meant by the word "purification" but I can say that the only way to make up for something you did wrong is to change your behavior and learn from your lessons. Pain is natural but you can overcome it by having integrity in your actions and think before you act. Once you go in purely out of your own volition then all the pain is welcome and brushed away easily.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

bookiegalke wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 11:57 my perception of suffering from s biblical context has nothing to do with purification but rather as a matter of perfecting faith. in the end it's all about God receiving the glory as opposed to us presenting ourselves as objects of pity
Well said.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Suffering has long been tied to different religions, as punishment or a means to find salvation and purification. With so many religious tones in the book I was not surprised to see it, however I surprised how well the author demonstrated the different perceptions of it. As well as with pain. I found myself appreciating that he seemed to blend so many perspectives into his story form the physical suffering to mental and emotional. At times it seemed purification and purging went hand in hand. In a way, it draws the reader's attention to the questions "where is the line? Does it really exist or is it dependent upon the person?" I still don't think I've settled on an answer but I definitely thought about it a lot more.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I don't think that purification can be used as a justification for suffering. Even if we all suffer from time to time we can not use purification as a reason to inflict suffering.
Catherine Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-davis.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Catherine Davis »

Escarilla wrote: 14 May 2017, 17:09 I think that suffering is a way of purification because it removes your attachment to material things. It gives you the ability to go above and beyond your physical capabilities. It helps you have a stronger self control over your physcial, mental, and spiritual capabilities.
I think that this is how people view fasting. Just a thought.
Catherine Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-davis.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Catherine Davis »

I don't believe that pain is ever an avenue to purification. When reading it in the beginning of the book, I really thought it was quite demonic. I know someone who cuts themselves in order to feel. It's a mental thing, suffering. Fasting is not about suffering, I fast. For me, it about gaining control over my own actions (or my flesh as we Christians would say). It is a discipline which I gain from, taking it into the natural and spiritual areas of my life like compulsive spending or doing what is right versus wrong. My body does suffer but never to the point where I'm doing damage to it, that's not the point. Pain by why of physical abuse (as Arthur was doing) isn't beneficial. It seems that he was doing it to compensate for whatever wrong he had done.
butterflyinaweb
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflyinaweb.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by butterflyinaweb »

I believe that without pain or suffering one cannot fully learn compassion. I believe that without compassion one cannot truly love. In that respect it is indeed away of purification.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

I think it’s a twist way of thinking but if I were to look at it from a different angle maybe they believe that paying more suffering for suffering makes it less of suffering.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”