What is your most memorable encounter with your father?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
AmeliaLovesBooks
Currently Reading: Cat's Gambit
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelialovesbooks.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Re: What is your most memorable encounter with your father?

Post by AmeliaLovesBooks »

My dad used to pick me up from school and we'd go get ice cream, then he'd always wink at me and say "Don't tell your mom." My mom worked a lot of different jobs and I think my dad had to shoulder a lot with us kids, but he always made sure we didn't feel neglected or overlooked. My brothers all have similar stories but they were all different too. Like my oldest brother said dad used to take him to the race track and they'd "bet" on horses. My youngest brother said that dad spent time with him in the garage restoring an old motorcycle that he knew they'd never finish. wouldnt take back that quality time for the world.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

My parents separated when I was very young and I didn't get to spend that much time with my father. I remember when I used to get ready in the morning in his house, no matter how late we were, he used to chase me around with shaving foam all over his face trying to kiss me. This is by far one of my fondest and more memorable experiences
leez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by leez »

my father is the most intelligent person i know, he is not perfect as all kids think while they are growing up but the most memorable encounter with him was teaching me what tough but honest love is.
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I think I was about 7 and the circus was in town. And my mother kept trying to convince me to go until I finally said yes. I went with my father and on the way he told me that we don't have to go if I don't want to. He didn't try to force me in any way even though it would have been a fun way to spend timw together. So we decided to go for a walk and had an ice cream. I don't know why but I think I will remember thay day forever.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

The most memorable is when he called a day before my wedding day and told me that he couldn't make it for my big day.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I have a memory from when I was maybe about 3 years old. It was a very cold day, I think there might even have been snow, and my brothers & I had been playing outside.
I remember my hands being really, really cold, painfully cold, and I remember running into the kitchen to get warm. We were always told that if your hands are cold you should never put them near the stove or the rad as that gave you chilblains .. my Dad was very convinced of this.
My memory of that day is of my Dad taking my tiny hands in his huge hands and rubbed them gently to warm them up. I can still see exactly where he was sitting in our kitchen & my tiny little hands completly enclosed in his huge ones & to this day I can feel the heat from his hands warming up mine.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

Growing up, my father was an amazing man, always looking out for my best interest. He used to let me stand on his feet and them he'd dance with me. Those memories are my favorites. 32 years later, we have lost that connection between us. Welcome to the real world, I guess....
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
SherriD
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SherriD »

I have so few memories of me and Dad. Need to make more!

When I was a teenager, my Dad and I went on a camping trip. Just the two of us. My twin sister was still upset about the divorce and refused to go. We hiked around this gorgeous little lake and up the waterfall on the far side. At that age, it was such an adventure. I'm sure if I go back to that lake it wont be the same.

A painful memory, but equally bonding...
I helped him recover from a triple bypass in the hospital last year. I have never witnessed so much pain in my life and will never get over how traumatic and exhausting that was for both of us. He is healthier now, but not pain free. We still don't talk about that week in the hospital much.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

My father was a quiet man. Sometimes he would take me with him fishing and we would sit out on a small boat with our lines in the water, waiting for the fish to bite. We didn't talk much, just listened to the sounds of the birds and the trees singing in the wind. Once in a while, I'd get a fish and there would be such a sense of excitement and pride in his voice as he coached me on how to reel the fish in. I enjoyed those times the most with my father. Just him and me and the wind in the trees.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

There are so many memorable experiences; the good and ugly. I can't even begin to list. A father is a very important figure in a child's life; girl or boy. My dad has greatly influenced me, that's for sure.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Wow! Good question! One day I was sitting on a bus on a two-seat section, and a man sat next to me and my sister, my father was behind us. I couldn't tell anything to the man because he was an adult, but I felt really uncomfortable. Suddenly, my father touched the man's shoulders and said to him he was paying for those two seats and he couldn't sit over there. The man looked at my father, stood up and left. The, my father told me that when I saw something wrong happening, I had to speak up my mind. That lesson has been with me all this time.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

My dad started my love for stories. He'd tell me folk tales from old epics every night before bed, till I was like 5 or 6 years old. After that, he had to move away from us for a while due to work and the bedtime stories stopped. I had to make do with reading books. Obviously, I have no complaints about that now, since I quickly learned to enjoy it and it became one of my biggest passions.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

my most memorable encounter was when on the weekends I was with my dad we would go to an open field and he would fly his airplanes. when they crashed we would chase them and bring them back.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Brons World
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brons-world.html
Latest Review: "A Good Boy" by Anthony Andre

Post by Brons World »

When I was a child, my dad used to do this thing called a "Magahachi grip" (pronounced mug - hah - huh - chee). This would usually involve him grabbing all three kids at the same time (sometimes a dog was caught in between too) and holding us down so we couldn't move. Then he would just walk away as if nothing happened. This was great - it was always a surprise and we loved this random show of affection.
Latest Review: "A Good Boy" by Anthony Andre
MURIIRA
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Escape</a>
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muriira.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by MURIIRA »

That would be when I was around 7 years of age. He chased me aroind tge estate with the aim of punishing me for wrong doing but he was unable. Talk of beating the 'superhero'.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”