What is your most memorable encounter with your father?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Meggie Lou
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggie-lou.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Re: What is your most memorable encounter with your father?

Post by Meggie Lou »

This is a hard one. My dad and I have always had an odd relationship. I think my most memorable one is when I was pretty little, about seven or eight. It was the first time my dad had ever yelled at me. I did something stupid and dangerous around a horse and he started yelling, which resulted in me running away and hiding somewhere so I could burst into tears without him seeing. He was so surprised that he tracked me down as quick as he could and apologized for going crazy on me. We shared coffee and cuddles for the rest of the day.

This was about the time that I resisted all forms of affection that I didn't initiate. I think both dad and I scared each other so much that all the rules went out the window. No coffee for the seven year old. No cuddles from the seven year old. Looking back I can definitely say that was the day I realized that adults could get scared too.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Brittster
Currently Reading: Inkheart
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittster.html
Latest Review: "Trankarri" by Christopher Dean
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Brittster »

I think the thing I remember fondest was just sitting on these stairs that went down to his office and talking about life. My dad always got me in a way my mom didn't even though I spent a ton of time with her and hardly any with him. I have missed those talks ever since I moved out and the way he would tell it to me straight.
Latest Review: "Trankarri" by Christopher Dean
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

That is a really difficult question to answer. Probably when my grandmom, his mother, was dying. I remember him calling me at college and telling me I needed to come home. He met me at the bus station. He took me to right to her. I was the last of her granddaughters to get there. He held my hand while I said good-bye to her.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

It was actually a whole school year's worth of encounters for me. Every morning before dropping me off at school, my dad and I would get donuts at Basha's. He would have coffee and I would have one of those apple juices that came in the short, glass containers. He would tell me about cotton farming and I would talk to him about second grade. Almost 25 years later, he doesn't remember it as well as I do. That time spent with my dad meant a lot to me.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
Michelle Chetty
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Grey
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Michelle Chetty »

My dad helped me with an essay in Grade 6, which was selected as the best essay that year.
Chandre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandre.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Chandre »

Wow where to begin. My dad is an awesome father. I'm so blessed to have him in my life. There are so many memories, I don't know which one is the best.

I guess one that stands out is when I fainted outside the doctors building. I can't handle needles and I had to do some blood tests. My mom was still closing the door to the building. And I just collapsed. All I remember was my dad picking me up and putting me in the car.

I was 18 then, and I still thought how awesome my daddy is. Till this day he still helps me when I need it.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

My most memorable time with my dad is also the saddest memory of my life. That was when I told him that my mom had died.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

My most memorable moment with my dad is when he taught my siblings and I how to ride bikes and skate. My dad loves being outdoors so I was always outside playing with my siblings.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

I love my dad. When I was 11 my family started building a new house across town. He expected me and my siblings to put in our share of the work. I learned the basics of how to pour concrete, frame a house, hang drywall, lay tile, and texture walls. It was hard and I gave up a lot of weekends with friends. The knowledge I have and the memories I've created working side by side with my family is invaluable. I'm forever thankful for my dad and his knowledge of how good hard work can shape a person and having the patience to allow an 11 year old learn, make mistakes, and grow.
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

a boy in the neighborhood always bully me on the road but when my dad got to know i was scared of going to thatarea on an errand,he told me to man up and face him.i didn't know he was looking at me and following me with his eyes from the roof top in case the boy comes out.i was able to face the boy later on.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

I still have a clear image in my head of seeing my Dad standing on the steps to the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, Canada on a cloudy day, wearing a dark raincoat. My mom says I would have been only 3 at that time and yet, it is still a very strong memory.
peace starts with a smile...
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I remember very clearly when my mother had to go out of town for some months and most of the household chores were my responsibility. One day my father saw me doing some work in cold water. It was December. From the next day onward when i woke up i found that he did all the house hold chores before going to the office. Now looking back i always had tears in my eyes how he used to take care of me.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
cstegmil
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstegmil.html
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish

Post by cstegmil »

My dad and I were close. Growing up, I connected with him more than my mom for some reason. One memory that stands out is him talking to me at 17 years old about abstinence and how wonderful that could be....& he did it in a non-judgmental way.
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish
rawbiew
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rawbiew »

i and my dad were no quite close since i was a kid, we actually really love ourselves but we were blind by our pride. i always regret not been close with him i usually love seeing a man playing with his kids
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

I am the first child to my parents and so my dad just wanted to teach me everything and let me do things my mom would cringe at the thought of. He worked as a mechanic in the army and would often take me to work with him and even got me a little army uniform when I was around 10 years old. He gave me a broom stick and said I could hit any of the soldiers with it who wasn't working and was slacking.

He also let me sit at the very front of his old bayliner and hang on to the metal piece (the thing you tie the rope to when docking) without a life jacket as he drove it around really fast. He took me to tae Kwon do classes every day and encouraged me to be strong, independent, and gave me permission to kick boys' butts with every thing I had in me.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”