About God in "Raven's Peak"

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

About God in "Raven's Peak"

Post by Aldonsa »

When Arthur and Frieda mentioned God they always said "she". Why "she"? What do you think?
I wonder maybe Council and Hunter's Order believe in the Aramaic Holy Spirit? :eusa-think:
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

That also bugged me to no end. You'd think at some point this drastic departure from the common pronoun would be explained, but it never does. The first thing that came to my mind was some sort of political correctness thing was going on, but I wouldn't like to jump to conclusions.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

AliceofX wrote:That also bugged me to no end. You'd think at some point this drastic departure from the common pronoun would be explained, but it never does. The first thing that came to my mind was some sort of political correctness thing was going on, but I wouldn't like to jump to conclusions.
It felt more like the character reflecting his own views outward than necessarily a political correctness thing. For example, at other points in the book/series God is referred to with the more accepted 'He' pronoun. This choice felt more like a personal trait for arthur than necessarily a stance from the author, sort of to develop the character maybe.

Dunno.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

James Craft wrote:
AliceofX wrote:That also bugged me to no end. You'd think at some point this drastic departure from the common pronoun would be explained, but it never does. The first thing that came to my mind was some sort of political correctness thing was going on, but I wouldn't like to jump to conclusions.
It felt more like the character reflecting his own views outward than necessarily a political correctness thing. For example, at other points in the book/series God is referred to with the more accepted 'He' pronoun. This choice felt more like a personal trait for arthur than necessarily a stance from the author, sort of to develop the character maybe.

Dunno.
I completely agree. I also thought it was more of a character choice than an author or a total book thing.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

kandscreeley wrote:I also thought it was more of a character choice than an author or a total book thing.
Hence the "wouldn't like to jump to conclusions" caveat. I don't know what the author was thinking, I can only guess. But the thing about it was that it was never explained. If it was a character choice then why wasn't this choice given more details instead of just being thrown out there? Especially since this is a priest we're talking about.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Interesting topic. I also wondered why God was a "She" in this read. I can only speculate, as well, but since this book was focused on Haatim and Abigail that maybe in the next book(s) will explain this further? Or maybe it is further explained in the side book of Arthur's, The Ninth Circle?

It didn't really bother me much, but I did think it was an interesting choice.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan

Post by Aldonsa »

kandscreeley wrote: I also thought it was more of a character choice than an author or a total book thing.
In this case it is the choice of at least two characters: Arthur and Frieda. I would like to know how other Hunters and Council members refer to God. But maybe hsimone is right and we will learn more from the next books.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

In spite of the Bible, some people believe God to be a woman. I've heard some people say that God isn't female or male. I believe that it is just the characters' beliefs to refer to God as female. It didn't bother me and I didn't question it.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I don't know why, but I found it refreshing.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Aldonsa wrote:When Arthur and Frieda mentioned God they always said "she". Why "she"? What do you think?
I wonder maybe Council and Hunter's Order believe in the Aramaic Holy Spirit? :eusa-think:
To be honest, this did not resound with me. I think of God as an entity outside of the bounds of gender identity. Does it matter? I don't know. Maybe it will be explained later on in a future installment.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
Aldonsa wrote:When Arthur and Frieda mentioned God they always said "she". Why "she"? What do you think?
To be honest, this did not resound with me. I think of God as an entity outside of the bounds of gender identity. Does it matter? I don't know. Maybe it will be explained later on in a future installment.
Yeah, I can see what you mean. I haven't seen anything particular about the gender of god in the second book, so I dunno what it is exactly.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

gali wrote:I don't know why, but I found it refreshing.
I found it interesting too. Whenever you read about God in fictional work, it's rare for anyone use "she." I personally believe God to be a male but I was fine with the characters using "she." It was simply something different.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Aldonsa

Post by Aldonsa »

gali wrote:I don't know why, but I found it refreshing.
I don't quite understand what you mean. :? What did you find refreshing?

-- 05 Apr 2017, 23:11 --
Jennifer Allsbrook wrote: To be honest, this did not resound with me. I think of God as an entity outside of the bounds of gender identity. Does it matter? I don't know. Maybe it will be explained later on in a future installment.
This didn't resound with me as well. This make me curious about Divine in the book. I wondered if there is a specific hell maybe there is a specific god? :?
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Vermont Reviews »

The author always controls the use of words and characters in the story.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Aldonsa

Post by Aldonsa »

Vermont Reviews wrote:The author always controls the use of words and characters in the story.
Vermont Reviews
I agree with you completelly

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”