Old Town of Raven's Peak

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Re: Old Town of Raven's Peak

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

kandscreeley wrote:You stumble across an old abandoned city in the woods. It's not a tourist destination. No one is around. It's clear that no one takes care of it, and no one visits. Do you explore as did Bret? Do you run away? Do you think it's realistic to think a boy of Bret's age would have continued on after finding such a location?
I think that a boy of Bret's age would indeed explore this find and consider it a grand adventure! I, myself, would look around. Curiosity is a natural drive that all of us have, but I think it is at its strongest in childhood. Children are more open to new things and lack the prior knowledge and experiences that might make an adult think twice before taking the risks inherent in this type of exploration.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

Zachary92 wrote:I would jet the heck out of there!
So would I! I am not brave. I think it is possible for a boy to want to explore, though.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

James Craft wrote: Haha, I would take a friend! A camera isn't going to be good company! I've seen scary movies!
Yes, it is much more interesting to exploring mysterious places with a friend!
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Kids often seem to be unafraid.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I would have stayed in the streets but would not have gone into any buildings because of possible squatters and the uncanny vibes. But apart from that, an abandoned town sounds like just the thing to explore with a camera in hand.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Vermont Reviews wrote:Kids often seem to be unafraid.
Yeah, children often don't seem to be afraid of things they should be, and are afraid of things they shouldn't be.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

micoleon13 wrote:I would have run away as fast as possible! But they chose a good character with Bret, bored and curious enough to be a little bit more adventurous
I agree. It's always the adventurous and curious types who do things most people won't do. That's what makes them great characters in fiction and real life.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Amagine wrote:
micoleon13 wrote:I would have run away as fast as possible! But they chose a good character with Bret, bored and curious enough to be a little bit more adventurous
I agree. It's always the adventurous and curious types who do things most people won't do. That's what makes them great characters in fiction and real life.
Definitely in real life, too, but sometimes it doesn't go well. Paul Walker. Also, the Crocodile Hunter. Sometimes running headlong into danger isn't the best plan!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Aldonsa wrote:Exactly so! A boy at Bret's age would gladly explore a small abandoned town if he came across it. There can be so many interesting things! :P Of course I'm speaking about an average boy, not about a timid one with no interest in adventures.

As for adults... It depends on personality. If I find an abandoned town near my camping, I dash to it with a camera in hands. Unfortunately it is almost impossible. At first I should change my camping location. Furthermore I don't believe in demons :roll2:
I agree most boys Bret's age would explore. I think my younger self might have just because my curiosity would have gotten the better of me. I most certainly would not now though. I'm much more cautious now, and I wouldn't want to run into someone that wanted to cause me harm.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Kids can be curious and I'm not surprised Brett wanted to look around, he is brave for actually going into the buildings though. If it was me, I'd be going back to get my friends and a camera.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Amagine wrote:
True. I think that's why fiction is so popular. We can do things through characters that we wouldn't do in real life.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote:
Amagine wrote:
True. I think that's why fiction is so popular. We can do things through characters that we wouldn't do in real life.
This is one of the reasons why I love fiction - having all these insane dangerous adventures that I could never do in real life. My sense of adventure is visiting a new city or country with my husband, not exploring a creepy ghost town by myself!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

hsimone wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:
Amagine wrote:

This is one of the reasons why I love fiction - having all these insane dangerous adventures that I could never do in real life. My sense of adventure is visiting a new city or country with my husband, not exploring a creepy ghost town by myself!
Absolutely. I love living vicariously through book characters.

I went to a town in Jamaica once. I felt very unsafe. That's about as adventurous as I get. Ha.
—Neil Gaiman
csuigar
Currently Reading: Silence Breaking
Bookshelf Size: 855
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csuigar.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by csuigar »

Old abandoned mining town. Somehow this had me thinking Silent Hill the movie. The way the author portrayed it made it seem eerie and creepy. Call me a coward but nope I was not going exploring, not going to check out shafts, not going to compare the architecture, and not going to see if someone stumbled across it. I was staying back at the cabin with Brett's mom.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

csuigar wrote:Old abandoned mining town. Somehow this had me thinking Silent Hill the movie. The way the author portrayed it made it seem eerie and creepy. Call me a coward but nope I was not going exploring, not going to check out shafts, not going to compare the architecture, and not going to see if someone stumbled across it. I was staying back at the cabin with Brett's mom.
Yeah. It does sound like one of those really bad horror movies. The ones where you know the character shouldn't go in, but they do anyway!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”