Romance or lack of it

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post by lilytepait »

If you watched "K2" a Korean drama, you have to admit the romance was being well played. it was action, yet there is still the love story. its not vulgar.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

lilytepait wrote:If you watched "K2" a Korean drama, you have to admit the romance was being well played. it was action, yet there is still the love story. its not vulgar.
I've always wanted to watch a Korean drama. Especially since I'm very interested in the culture and their manhwa books. Thanks for the recommendation! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
rosemont
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemont.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by rosemont »

I was pleased with the lack of romance (it was so refreshing to me I included it in my review lol), I feel like it's almost impossible to have protagonists of the opposite sex in books and films/tv without the writer forcing romance between them. I wouldn't be opposed to it happening in the rest of the trilogy when they've known each other longer than like 3 days...
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I just finished this book and honestly the lack of romance was one of the best things about it. Which might sound odd coming from an avid romance reader and writer, but this was one situation in which romance would have been wildly unbelievable. Abigail has PTSD and survivor's guilt, and Haatim is smack bang in the middle of the worst situation of his life.

I actually find myself hoping it ISN'T made into a film because undoubtedly the screenwriters would insist on shoehorning in some romance. Ugh.
Jenie
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenie.html
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Post by Jenie »

Oh no! I like my action books with romance. It does not have to be the leading premise, but there should be some elements of it. The romance aspect of the story does not even have to involve the top two main characters, nor does the romance aspect have to be overbearing. What is life without a tint of romance? I think romance in any book is a plus because it gives it a tint of color, and it expands the reach of readers.

-- 02 May 2017, 14:43 --
Amagine wrote:
lilytepait wrote:If you watched "K2" a Korean drama, you have to admit the romance was being well played. it was action, yet there is still the love story. its not vulgar.
I've always wanted to watch a Korean drama. Especially since I'm very interested in the culture and their manhwa books. Thanks for the recommendation! ?
I just finished watching "K2", great Korean Drama. I think Korean dramas have perfected the art of imbibing all their dramas with a tint of romance.
The Greatness of a man is in the quality of his personality and in the effectiveness of his influence ~ Chris O.
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CZCampbell »

Personally, I would like it. However, I did not feel the lack of a romance detracted from the story in anyway. Sure, it would add something else to the character dynamic, but I do not think it would lessen the story if they remained friends.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I don't necessarily mind a romance if it's well done, but I find it really refreshing when there isn't one. I would really like it if no romance ever developed between Haatim and Abigail. I guess I wouldn't mind it if another character was introduced to play the part of romancer (for either of the leads), but it's really nice to have a platonic man/woman friendship for once.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

i prefer a book that has both romance and action put together as one piece.i hope there will be romance in the subsequent books
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Though it is very rare to happen, i think it is somewhat refreshing when people focus on their own paths of life instead of just falling heads over heels for the first person they come in contact with.( As happens in most of the books)
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
amandabaronas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandabaronas.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by amandabaronas »

I don't know if I necessarily needed a romance, but the potential for one or some type of relationship development would have been nice to help with the intrigue of the story. I understand that Abigail is meant to be portrayed as cold and independent, but it would help the reader connect with her if we were able to experience some emotion/connection to other characters.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I was pleasantly surprised that no romance formed between the two. While I have no objection to romance in stories I did not feel it was necessary here and enjoyed their friendship developing instead which is a rarer occurance in novels. I think I would be disappointed if it did develop as the lack of it is refreshing
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I think any book can do good with hints of romance but some authors do over do it almost to the point where it overtakes the plot. That is when I think they should watch out.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mollymae »

I loved that the author chose to have a platonic relationship between the two main characters. In my opinion, romance is generally overdone in many books.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
joshmanzano
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfender.html
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Post by joshmanzano »

While reading, I half-expected that romance would somehow enter the picture sooner or later; but was pleasantly surprised to find none. Haatim and Abigail just didn't have enough time to develop feelings towards each other due to all of the perilous things happening to them, but hopefully in the next book there will be more.
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

I have not read this book but now I think I will. It's refreshing to hear about a modern book where the author doesn't attempt the "sex sales" type of writing. Glad to hear this isn't a feature of the story.

On another note, having a romance can either kill the plot or enhance it. I don't always look forward to a romantic involvement in a book because to often the author tends to muck it up. I would rather they stay clear of it if they can't handle it.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”