Romance or lack of it

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post by Emilyflint »

I like romance books, but I really like that there has not been any development between these two characters. I actually dont want there to be. It would be a little too cliché. I got more of the feeling of a platonic relationship between these two.
Amy Baker
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-baker.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Baker »

I was thinking the same thing. At the end I thought something might blossom. However, I like that Abigail is strong and independent and doesn't need a man. Even the man she misses is more of a father figure.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

I think it's always fun to have romance in a story, as long as it doesn't distract you from the story, and as long as the romance makes sense and doesn't feel like it was just thrown in.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
SherriD
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SherriD »

I was actually distracted by the fact there wasn't a romance between Abigail and Haatim. I guess the expectation was there and when nothing developed, it was a bit of a let down. At the end they became a pretty good team, so hopefully in the next book there are more sparks...after he saves her, that is.
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I don't think romance is a quick fix to place excitement into a book. While it feels natural for a romance to blossom between Abigail and Haatim, I personally won't focus on it. I'm a little tired of great stories shifting focus from the events of the plot to the protagonist's romance. A book like Raven's Peak doesn't need romance to spice up the novel, it's already interesting and very well developed without the romantic relationship.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

Although I'm a sucker dor a good romance novel, I somehow doubt it would have made this book better. I liked the fact that there was no romantic link between the characters, it highlighted the rest of the story
SherriD
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SherriD »

I posted earlier that I thought it was distracting having no romance between Haatim and Abigail. And it actually does still bother me and now I know why...most authors would have at least suggested that the protagonist (Haatim) is curious about the heroine (Abigail) romantically especially after he said she was attractive and we know he likes her bravery. I feel like if the author put one or two paragraphs in about these types of emotional feelings, I would have been able to connect more with the characters. It wouldn't have ruined the plot.
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

I really think Abigail and Haatim has undeniable chemistry together. I liked that the author tried to write the story in such a way that their relationship appears platonic. However, I am hoping they would end up together.

I am a fan of romance novel but I agree that there are some stories which are better off without it.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I like stories that feature romance only if it is not forced. I want a romance to develop naturally not just because there is a male and female character.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I thought it was refreshing that these two characters could be thrust into this situation without being attracted to each other or romantically involved with each other. I think the romance with the main characters can sometimes be unoriginal at times. I hope to see both of these characters grow individually and maybe fall for a different character rather than each other. But we will see, I do plan on reading the rest of the series.
Ghingir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B00D029NNA

Post by Ghingir »

Romance in a book is a plus, but I don't really feel it's necessary for a great read. What I do hate, however, is when authors feel the need to include graphic sex when building romance into their story. I really don't need to read about the detailed copulating habits of the characters (or perhaps, more subtly, the authors). You see this a lot not only in books but in TV and movies as well. I think it's a shame that authors, etc., believe society needs this type of scene to enjoy a good book, movie, or TV series (thinking Game of Thrones, for example; a great show with or without the sex!)

I am not religious, or a sexual prude (LOL), but I just wish it wasn't constantly thrown into every single medium these days. It's so, truly, unnecessary. Have any of you ever read a good book and then said to yourself, "That was a really good book. I wish there would have been some sexual content though." I doubt it. And if you have, maybe you are in a minority that should be reading a different (cough) type of fiction! =)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Ghingir wrote:Romance in a book is a plus, but I don't really feel it's necessary for a great read. What I do hate, however, is when authors feel the need to include graphic sex when building romance into their story. I really don't need to read about the detailed copulating habits of the characters (or perhaps, more subtly, the authors). You see this a lot not only in books but in TV and movies as well. I think it's a shame that authors, etc., believe society needs this type of scene to enjoy a good book, movie, or TV series (thinking Game of Thrones, for example; a great show with or without the sex!)

I am not religious, or a sexual prude (LOL), but I just wish it wasn't constantly thrown into every single medium these days. It's so, truly, unnecessary. Have any of you ever read a good book and then said to yourself, "That was a really good book. I wish there would have been some sexual content though." I doubt it. And if you have, maybe you are in a minority that should be reading a different (cough) type of fiction! =)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
I totally see your point! I honestly don't care about the amount of sex scenes unless it is completely misplaced and that has happened. I thought to myself, "What was the point of that?" However, it normally doesn't bother me. What I really can't stand is when the main character is put together with the most obvious choice. In this book, the two main characters seem to have to no romantic connection, which I actually appreciate. Just because two characters work together or are forced together in some situation doesn't mean they have to fall in love
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

I would love romance between Abigail and Haatim, but only if it's done right. Which, from what we've seen in the first book, seems to be the case. However, I'd be more than happy if they just remained as friends.

As for romance in action books, I reiterate my statement; it's fine as long as it's done right. I've lost count of how many times the hero and his/her love interest get together for no apparent reason. No one falls in love with a jackass, and for the people who think they can change their potential love interests, they're either incredibly self-righteous, or just dumb. More importantly, I like romances in action stories when the characters are on an equal playing field; the damsel-in-distress, or the wife-waiting-for-her-beloved-to-return-from-war is just too cliche nowadays.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
JanieReads
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiereads.html

Post by JanieReads »

I think that the book might have been better if there was a least a little romance between Abigail and Haatim. I didn't particularly enjoy this book and I believe it would have added more depth to both their characters if they had some interest in one another. Also, maybe a little romance would have made Haakim's character man-up a little bit to "impress the girl". He cowered a little too much for my liking during this book.
AmeliaLovesBooks
Currently Reading: Cat's Gambit
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelialovesbooks.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by AmeliaLovesBooks »

I don't think it was even necessary to assume a romance between Abigail and Haatim, but maybe it will culminate later between the characters. In any event, sometimes its refreshing to read a story without a romance subplot, but most of the time, as humans, we appreciate the sentiment it provides.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”