Favorite/Least Favorite Aspect(s) of the Book?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Favorite/Least Favorite Aspect(s) of the Book?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

While reading, there were some definite parts that I really enjoyed and kept me at the edge of my seat while others not so much.

What were your favorite and least favorite aspect(s) of Raven's Peak? How could your least favorite part(s) improve in order for you to have enjoyed the story even more?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoyed the old town of Ravens Peak. I wish the author had drawn that out more. Developed the scene and had more actin taking place there. So that was my most and least favorite art the same time.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

Favorite: The prologue and Arthur's character. I thought he seemed really interesting and the prologue made me excited to read the rest of the book.

Least Favorite: I thought that Abigail and Haatim were pretty flat characters overall. I just couldn't find much about them that seemed really believable. Yeah, they did all the surface-level things that made sense, but it didn't feel like it went any deeper than that.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I enjoyed the prologue and the old town of Ravens Peak. My least favorite aspects were the predictably of the plot and the light typos.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

CarrieMe wrote:Favorite: The prologue and Arthur's character. I thought he seemed really interesting and the prologue made me excited to read the rest of the book.

Least Favorite: I thought that Abigail and Haatim were pretty flat characters overall. I just couldn't find much about them that seemed really believable. Yeah, they did all the surface-level things that made sense, but it didn't feel like it went any deeper than that.
I agree with everything that CarrieMe said. Also, the parts where the demon was taking over the town (especially with the little boy) were really well done. Those scenes were legitimately creepy.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote:I enjoyed the old town of Ravens Peak. I wish the author had drawn that out more. Developed the scene and had more actin taking place there. So that was my most and least favorite art the same time.
I definitely agree with this. I loved the old town of Raven's Peak, and like you said, wished there was more added about the creepy town. Also, I wished we were introduced to Raven's Peak sooner because of how interesting it was.

Arthur's introduction, like others have said, was amazing. This is what drew me into the story and I wanted so much more! Also, the scenes with the demon child was legitimately creepy as well, like AliceofX has said. It's clear that the author does know how to creep his audience out! Hopefully, we see more of this later on!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

hsimone wrote:I wished we were introduced to Raven's Peak sooner
I know. When reading it I was like, "Oh, come on! Half the book is over already. Are we gonna actually get there or not?"
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

AliceofX wrote:
CarrieMe wrote:Favorite: The prologue and Arthur's character. I thought he seemed really interesting and the prologue made me excited to read the rest of the book.

I agree with everything that CarrieMe said. Also, the parts where the demon was taking over the town (especially with the little boy) were really well done. Those scenes were legitimately creepy.
Indeed! The scene with the boy was really well done. It gave me the chills as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

My favorite parts were also the prologue and when they actually get to Raven's Peak. My least favorite would probably just be Haatim and his inability to get with the program faster. I get that hunting demons is something he never expected to do, but sometimes I just wanted to shake him for being so inexperienced with things that seem like common sense.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

As others have stated, I also really enjoyed the setting. I thought the author did a wonderful job of setting the scene and providing an eerie tone for the town. My least favorite part was the main characters. I had a really hard time connecting with and even liking both Abigail and Haatim.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

MarisaRose wrote:As others have stated, I also really enjoyed the setting. I thought the author did a wonderful job of setting the scene and providing an eerie tone for the town. My least favorite part was the main characters. I had a really hard time connecting with and even liking both Abigail and Haatim.
The setting was definitely a lot of fun. I liked the characters but didn't really like certain things about them, so I completely agree.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

ashley_claire wrote:My favorite parts were also the prologue and when they actually get to Raven's Peak. My least favorite would probably just be Haatim and his inability to get with the program faster. I get that hunting demons is something he never expected to do, but sometimes I just wanted to shake him for being so inexperienced with things that seem like common sense.
I don't agree about Haatim. I think you almost need a character like him to legitimize the story. After all, many of us reading were thinking the same thing. Demons? Yeah, right. Plus it allowed the author to introduce parts of the story he wouldn't have been able to otherwise.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Zachary92
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Zachary92 »

kandscreeley wrote:
ashley_claire wrote:My favorite parts were also the prologue and when they actually get to Raven's Peak. My least favorite would probably just be Haatim and his inability to get with the program faster. I get that hunting demons is something he never expected to do, but sometimes I just wanted to shake him for being so inexperienced with things that seem like common sense.
I don't agree about Haatim. I think you almost need a character like him to legitimize the story. After all, many of us reading were thinking the same thing. Demons? Yeah, right. Plus it allowed the author to introduce parts of the story he wouldn't have been able to otherwise.
I can see your point and agree...you need that character to introduce the world. He is like the surrogate for the audience.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

AliceofX wrote:
I know. When reading it I was like, "Oh, come on! Half the book is over already. Are we gonna actually get there or not?"
I agree, it would have been nice to have spent more time in this part of the story, it seemed to rush a bit at the end and then suddenly it was over.

The first chapter with Arthur, was my favourite, it was so immediately in your face action that made you want to learn more about Arthur
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

micoleon13 wrote:
AliceofX wrote:
I agree, it would have been nice to have spent more time in this part of the story, it seemed to rush a bit at the end and then suddenly it was over.

The first chapter with Arthur, was my favourite, it was so immediately in your face action that made you want to learn more about Arthur
Yeah, more time in the town would have been really good for setting things up.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”