Do you question the existence of God?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Re: Do you question the existence of God?

Post by raikyuu »

Brons World wrote:Of course, I think that every Christian, or any person who believes in a greater power, will question the existence of God at some point or another. I have definitely done so, especially during difficult times in my life. Where is God when it hurts? I've always tried to be the optimist and believe that everything happens for a reason, but this is not always realistic. Sometimes the reality of the pain is simply too much and we need someone to blame. Enter God.
Just by reading the other comments, you would see that not every person questions "God."
-rk
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I do, although I do recognize a higher power. There is too much synchronicity in the world to not believe that there is something....but maybe that something is not an old white guy with long beard looking down on us, sometimes fondly, sometimes full of anger.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

kislany wrote:I do, although I do recognize a higher power. There is too much synchronicity in the world to not believe that there is something....but maybe that something is not an old white guy with long beard looking down on us, sometimes fondly, sometimes full of anger.
Interesting. You mentioned about being "too much synchronicity in the world to not believe that there is something." I personally can't see this much synchronicity in the world. Of course, I don't have to shove my viewpoint into people. But a friendly discussion is welcome.
-rk
Khaya
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaya.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Khaya »

ritah wrote:
Lest92 wrote:God seems suspiciously man-made to me - I never was able to believe it anyway.
I genuinely believed once upon a time but not anymore because I realized that a lot of information/facts points to religion/God and the whole spirituality thing being man-made to fill a gap for what we don't know and can't 100% assert in life as well as to give hope etc
Good point.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

I do believe God exists. I have always believed it and I always will believe it. I feel like my faith in Him has made me who I am today.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I have never questioned the existence of God, no. However, I do not consider myself to be a blind follower either. I think it is important to seek out information, and to do so with an open mind. But, being open to a new idea or a new perspective does not have to involve abandoning the beliefs you currently keep in faith.
Tragedy effects everyone differently. Some build a stronger faith, while others do just the opposite. No one person can tell another how to properly handle personal grief and loss. That does nothing to build back up the soul of another.
Sunnyridge
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyridge.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by Sunnyridge »

What is your definition of God? My answer would depend upon that definition however there are some things that I must accept are beyond my knowledge.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
IshiM
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B01HAOZ1YS

Post by IshiM »

AliceofX wrote:No. One of the reasons I had trouble empathizing with Haatim is because he looses his faith because of his sister's death, whereas I in my darkest moments have always looked to God. In the words of Peter, "Lord, to whom would we go?"
I totally agree with you. I do not question the existence of God.
Eva Gallegos
Currently Reading: Writing Your First Novel
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-gallegos.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Eva Gallegos »

I was raised in the catholic faith. But as I grew older I began to question the existence of an universal God. At times I have wanted to stop believing but I think it is in our nature to want to hold on to a superpower, something far more powerfull that all of us combined, because if there is no God then what is the alternative. We need to believe in something, within ourselves or high above, there is too much evil and injustice in this world, and if all would depend of the human race I think the world would go mad in a blink of an eye.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

my faith in God has seen me put complete trust in him and he has never disappointed me
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
deogratias omondi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by deogratias omondi »

I think one must have a good reason to question the existence of God. Questioning His very existence shows that already we are seeking to know Him. We are nothing without Him. But you can say why then do we have wars, hunger, killings? He allows this things to happen because there is a greater good that will come out of it and besides all these crimes are done by fellow human beings.
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

Easiest question ever. No, I don't question the existence of God. He is there and he watches over us all.
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by fayetino »

I think the question should be the how or why these things happen instead of just throwing your faith away everytime you face difficulties. It's wiser to seek answers first.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

Never. I believe in God without a doubt. This world needs someone to maintain it and that has to be God.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

Even if there are debates about this topic, I believe God is not dead.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”