Characters

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Characters

Post by kandscreeley »

Which character from the novel did you find most interesting? Why? Would you want to be that character if you could?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I found Arthur the most interesting and wish he played a greater part in the tale. I wouldn't want to be him or any other characters. I am not sure I want any of them as a friend as well...
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Arthur. If he was the protagonist I think I would have loved the book because I just can't help but loving broken characters. If the author ever writes a prequel about his story I'll definitely read it.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

From what I read in the sample, Arthur seems most interesting because he seemed to have had a hell of a life. But no, wouldn't want to be him at all.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I admire Abigail the most I think. She's been through so much in her young life, but she's a survivor. She just keeps dealing with things head on.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

kandscreeley wrote:I admire Abigail the most I think. She's been through so much in her young life, but she's a survivor. She just keeps dealing with things head on.
I agree with you. I'm just the type that admire strong female characters. Abigail is an example of that because of her tenacity. I wouldn't want to have lived her life but I admire her character.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree with the above statements about Author. His character was by far the most complex. After the prologue, I hoped he would play a larger role as I wanted to get to know his character better. I felt Abigail and Haatim both fell a little flat and were predictable at times.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I love Arthur, like others have said, and would have wished that he played a bigger role. There seemed to be so much more we could have learned from him.

Haatim was a so-so character and I found his willingness to be a sort of 'detective' just because some random guy said that someone's out to kill him makes him a bit gullible. Abigail seems strong, which is something that I like in any female character, so she would come second after Arthur.

Honestly, I don't think I would want to be friends with anyone of these characters. They either don't seem stable enough or they're off fighting demons, and I would like to avoid that. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Arthur was interesting, but I feel like he was a little too broken for me to really enjoy. I like broken characters but not quite that far gone.
—Neil Gaiman
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

hsimone wrote:I found his willingness to be a sort of 'detective' just because some random guy said that someone's out to kill him makes him a bit gullible.
That to me was the most ridiculous part of the book. I could get him being desperate for money and taking a detective gig, but just from some random guy that walks up to him in a bookstore? Nope. Forget the demons, that's where my suspension of disbelief got murdered.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AliceofX wrote:
hsimone wrote:I found his willingness to be a sort of 'detective' just because some random guy said that someone's out to kill him makes him a bit gullible.
That to me was the most ridiculous part of the book. I could get him being desperate for money and taking a detective gig, but just from some random guy that walks up to him in a bookstore? Nope. Forget the demons, that's where my suspension of disbelief got murdered.
True! Especially because he didn't really need the money. His mommy and daddy were supplying everything for him. So why take a chance?
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:
AliceofX wrote:
True! Especially because he didn't really need the money. His mommy and daddy were supplying everything for him. So why take a chance?
lol I agree with you. I found this ridiculous as well. I also found odd that his father didn't tell him anything about his work and the demons.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

I liked the characters. I agree the entire part about Haatim at the beginning was a little whack and could have used some work, but I think they were intriguing and different from what is normally expected (how many books like this/tv shows have you watched with all white main characters?).
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

kandscreeley wrote:Arthur was interesting, but I feel like he was a little too broken for me to really enjoy. I like broken characters but not quite that far gone.
I agree with you on that. It's okay to be a little broken but I don't like characters who seem so far gone that they can't be fixed.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Thimble
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Thimble »

I found Arthur to be the most interesting and compelling. I wouldn't want anything to do with any of the characters. The book reminded me of Supernatural, where if you even know the main characters a little bit something terrible will probably happen to you.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”