Good vs. Evil

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
samuelmhambwa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Good vs. Evil

Post by samuelmhambwa »

To me God is the most high and will always remain at The top and the devil has no prosperity into our lives
God knows how to handle and also how to deal with the evil plans of the devil
masterhawk88
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masterhawk88.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by masterhawk88 »

I believe that even though good vs evil stories are often predictable we will always enjoy them. There are a million reasons why, but I think it boils down to we want good to prevail, and in the world we exist in it's never so clear cut as that.
Through books, I have lived not just one life but thousands.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
mercy wanjiku

Post by mercy wanjiku »

I love the book, playing the good guy sucks,the book is aimed at younger reader, thanks .
MTReader91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtreader91.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by MTReader91 »

I agree with the predictability, but I've also read where evil prevails for most of the series until an unlikely hero(ine) comes into the light of the story line. The book also opens up a new world to us readers knowing that there is evil out there as well as creatures we assume are legends and tales.
dekoh

Post by dekoh »

the book is quite interesting and very good
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I totally agree when we read this type of books we know or assume Good will prevail. However, what I personally consider exciting is to read about how hard it is to achieve a goal or how many obstacles the characters have to endure or face in order to receive a reward or win over Evil. I like the fact that these characters give us an example of strength and perseverance.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

as predictable as the trope may be, a well executed book can be enjoyable. It all depends on the writing and the plot twists
MelDevi
Currently Reading: Exit West
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meldevi.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by MelDevi »

I actually adore Marvel because of this. Those who dislike plain good vs plain evil will definitely appreciate characters like Loki (aside from it being potrayed by the gentleman Hiddleston). Good and evil each has a beginning, and choices to take, which is true for all of us. When crafted well, stories on good vs evil tell us that the pen is in our hands, the pages are blank, the book is life.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
MTReader91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtreader91.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by MTReader91 »

I can relate good and evil to the Dragonlance Novels by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Their stories are full of good and evil as well as good winning and evil winning.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I believe that if our thoughts are good then everything is good. Negative thoughts create negative situations

-- 09 Jul 2017, 02:43 --

Whenever we read a book that depicts good vs evil, we always assume that good is going to win at the end which makes the story of the book quite obvious.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I find interesting the theme of good versus evil, and I think Lincoln Cole brought it up nicely throughout the story. Haatim almost lost his faith after his sister's death, but his inner strength and knowledge allowed him to prevail at the end. I think there's more to him than meets the eye. Abigail has an inner battle and is more complex than Haatim (at least during this book). Many of her actions, particularly her deal with Delaphene, showed her multidimensional personality. She wants to save people but is prepared to fight dirty.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I love the good versus evil theme! It never gets old or boring for me. Yes, you usually assume that good will win, but that is not always the case. Even though I've read literally thousands of these kinds of books, as long as the book is well written with good characters, I will enjoy the tale!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Due to the fact that it never gets old, it's even better to keep discussing it. It's interesting to see what different people think about it. I personally believe that good wins in the end, but it's a slow and devastating process sometimes. One bad thing can cause good things to happen too, it's never too dark. It's unfortunate that, to get to ''good'', we have to work so hard and fall so many times, but we only learn to value it more.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Richard Mudd
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-mudd.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Richard Mudd »

First, one would need to define those terms and I challenge anyone to come up with definitions that are met with universal agreement. Your personal version of good and or evil will be very different from almost everybody else on the planet, as your perception is unique, at least assuming you have not been brainwashed into reciting another person's mantra, and here lies the rub of the matter. Adopting one religion's or culture's concepts will tend to close your mind to alternative theories and crush, at least sideline any independent thinking. I am an expat Brit living in semi bush in East Africa, with close ties to the local community, most are subsistence (often barely surviving) farmers with a few cattle, chickens etc., I can assure you that their concept of good and evil will be different from yours.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by fayetino »

you're right. they become predictable. this is the reason I didn't read the other books in this series. You know how it's going to end. the only question with these books is the how.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”