What do you think of the Supernatural Thriller Genre?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: What do you think of the Supernatural Thriller Genre?

Post by Books_are_Life »

I like this genre. I think the repetition is not bad. I feel it's ok if a couple books have the same "rules" just as long as they have a unique story.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Supernatural thrillers can vary in topics...I don't mind reading about werewolves and vampires but once people start talking about God in a way that seems irreverent to me I am very likely to drop the book. What I mean by my previous statement is a third person narrative with a tone that makes him sound like an authority on religion. I don't mind characters voicing their opinions or even thinking whatever but it really rubs me the wrong way when the author draws what I believe to be uneducated and biased conclusions about God as if they knew God inside out.
I also don't like when they give demons so much power and give angels and God a weak appearance. Even though Constantine has a very poor depiction of God in my view I like how he was able to shut down the devil so easily.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Nowadays, the Supernatural thriller genre has been overstocked with books and films dealing with it. But when a truly talented author writes a gem of a Supernatural Thriller story like what happened here in Raven's Peak then I applaud the writer and look forward to reading his future works!
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

I love this genre as there are so many facets to it that can be interchanged. I think that recently a lot of "kiddified" versions of stories gave the supernatural aspects a bad press. Personally I love being able to pick up a book and just lose myself in a great story with interesting characters and just switch my mind off. I must say that I have found a few new authors who are changing the genre up a bit which is great.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Jax14 wrote:I love this genre as there are so many facets to it that can be interchanged. I think that recently a lot of "kiddified" versions of stories gave the supernatural aspects a bad press. Personally I love being able to pick up a book and just lose myself in a great story with interesting characters and just switch my mind off. I must say that I have found a few new authors who are changing the genre up a bit which is great.
You are right. "Supernatural" can encompass many different things. I'm enjoying the authors who are changing it up a bit.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Chitopogi wrote:Nowadays, the Supernatural thriller genre has been overstocked with books and films dealing with it. But when a truly talented author writes a gem of a Supernatural Thriller story like what happened here in Raven's Peak then I applaud the writer and look forward to reading his future works!
It has been overdone lately. Every where you look, supernatural books and tv shows are everywhere! The problem is, they all resemble each other too much and there's no longer any individuality.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I think this genre can have some of the best plot twists as the characters are so very different from us, that they react in ways we could never imagine. I really do like the imagination required for this style.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I absolutely love the supernatural thriller genre. I know that it can become repetitive and predictable in some cases but for the most part, for me, I usually pick and choose what I like. There are some supernatural stories like Twilight that I am not a fan of so I tend to avoid those, but I love other ones like Supernatural and the X-Files.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Sarah G wrote:I think this genre can have some of the best plot twists as the characters are so very different from us, that they react in ways we could never imagine. I really do like the imagination required for this style.
That is one compliment I will give this genre is that there can be some pretty cool plot twists.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I tend to like them and think of them as a guilty pleasure. However, after the Twilight series, I think it has gotten flooded, and hard to find a good, substantial series, especially one without romance.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

godreaujea wrote:I tend to like them and think of them as a guilty pleasure. However, after the Twilight series, I think it has gotten flooded, and hard to find a good, substantial series, especially one without romance.
Yes, the Twilight series came along and the next thing you know,vampires and werewolves were everywhere! Teen Wolf, Vampire Diaries and there's many more. I'm kind of glad that the supernatural craze is thinning out a little bit.

csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

You know, I used to enjoy supernatural teen fiction novels a lot. After a while though, they all became boring too me, kind of like I was reading the same things over and over again. That's why for the most part I stopped reading supernatural stories, I prefer books that have more normal story lines.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Meggie Lou
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggie-lou.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Meggie Lou »

While I prefer the fantasy and sci-fi genre, the supernatural thriller will always have a place in my heart. Mostly because of Edgar Allen Poe.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Meggie Lou wrote:While I prefer the fantasy and sci-fi genre, the supernatural thriller will always have a place in my heart. Mostly because of Edgar Allen Poe.
He is a classic. He was a favorite of mine back in high school but a lot of that was because I was a dark teenager with some twisted interests.

As an adult, I recognize his poetic writing style and admire that more than I do the content of his works.

CTdeF
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctdef.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Post by CTdeF »

I have to say that the prologue in Raven's Peak was almost too much gore for me to continue. I understand why it needed to be in the book, but I'm so glad the next section of the story wasn't so graphic. I haven't finished yet so I don't know if it gets ickier again before the end though. I am not overly familiar with the supernatural genre per se, although I'm an Anne Rice fan, so I can't say if Raven's Peak is a typical example or not. Any opinions on that?
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”