What do you think of the Supernatural Thriller Genre?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Re: What do you think of the Supernatural Thriller Genre?

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I love supernatural books. But yes somehow they tend to be a bit similar. Still I would say the plot of every supernatural story is different from the other.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Ckennedy
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ckennedy.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Ckennedy »

I enjoy Supernatural thrillers but they scare me too! I can't read them at night.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

CarrieMe wrote:I like this genre, but the quality of the characters and whether I'm able to care about them always comes first for me. Sometimes it can be hard to find books that manage to accomplish this.
I agree. I'm not a fan of this genre but if there is an amazing character that I feel connected to, it won't matter what kind of book that I'm reading. As you stated though, finding good quality characters in books is not easy.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
breyfoglese
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breyfoglese.html
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by breyfoglese »

I find the romance aspect to be the most repetitive. Forget the angsty white love triangle, I want some diversity. I also want healthy relationships within the confines of the genre. Queer romance would also thrill me to death, but it's hard to find that in any genre of fiction, so I'll hedge my bets.
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

breyfoglese wrote:I find the romance aspect to be the most repetitive. Forget the angsty white love triangle, I want some diversity. I also want healthy relationships within the confines of the genre. Queer romance would also thrill me to death, but it's hard to find that in any genre of fiction, so I'll hedge my bets.
There are queer characters in the True Blood books but right now that's the only one I can think of for this genre which is a shame.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I'm not a huge fan of supernatural thrillers because most of the ones I've read are about demons. I don't find the "good vs. demon" thing very interesting. I do like ghost stories though. The history of the ghosts are usually fascinating.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

breyfoglese wrote:I find the romance aspect to be the most repetitive. Forget the angsty white love triangle, I want some diversity. I also want healthy relationships within the confines of the genre. Queer romance would also thrill me to death, but it's hard to find that in any genre of fiction, so I'll hedge my bets.
It is certainly a genre dominated by that, particularly in the Urban Fantasy Romance genre. A picture of a strong white girl on the front cover who turns out to be not strong at all but usually needy and unsure of herself. I liked that this book at least shook up the dynamic, even if only a little bit.

The dynamic reminds me of Hollywood white washing, and casting white people in the rolls of middle-eastern or black people helps audiences 'relate' and sells more tickets, and there is a definite monetary reason Hollywood does it even if it might seem outwardly screwed up and wrong. Even religions do it.
Kateen
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Kateen »

I love anything I can get my hand on in this genre. This book fit really well in the thriller side of it.
Paul Rickson
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Paul Rickson »

I haven't really tried many of these out, but they seem interesting and new to me.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I feel that there has been quite a few supernatural books especially dealing with demons and vampires. They also seem to lean more towards the romance side, or with a lot of sex scenes. This is the first supernatural horror book I've read and I think the author got a very good balance, as well as believable characters.
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

micoleon13 wrote:I feel that there has been quite a few supernatural books especially dealing with demons and vampires. They also seem to lean more towards the romance side, or with a lot of sex scenes. This is the first supernatural horror book I've read and I think the author got a very good balance, as well as believable characters.
Yeah, the forced romance keeps me away from stuff like this, but I definitely agree that this book was unique in not going down the cliche routes. Diverse characters, no forced romance, and a lot of action really kept my attention.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

MarisaRose wrote:Supernatural stories can be thrilling, scary and even thought provoking. What is your take on the genre? Do you like reading about ghosts and deamons?

I find the genre has been so flooded in the last few years that it can be difficult to come across an original supernatural based story. Do you think the genre has become overly repetitve?

I myself love the supernatural genre, but at the same time I agree that because of the increase of books in the genre it can be hard to come across an original story. However, I feel like the same can be said with any genre if you read too much of it back to back. This is why I can't only read supernatural books; I have to read one or two then find another genre then go back otherwise I would get bored with the repetition.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

You just made me realize that it is rare to see a healthy relationship in the supernatural genre. There is always some dark undertone to them. I wonder why....
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Amagine wrote:
You just made me realize that it is rare to see a healthy relationship in the supernatural genre. There is always some dark undertone to them. I wonder why....
Yeah...that's sort of...odd.

I read the Jim Butcher series at one point, and one thing that sort of annoyed me was how attractive every woman in the series was. He doesn't necessarily make the women weak, but he just makes them all super unnaturally pretty, and it sort of got annoying after a while.

Sort of like the Shakespeare Sonnet: 'My misstress' eyes are nothing like the sun'. Sometimes, making people sound more real and less pretty actually adds to the story.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

James Craft wrote:
Amagine wrote:
Yeah...that's sort of...odd.

I read the Jim Butcher series at one point, and one thing that sort of annoyed me was how attractive every woman in the series was. He doesn't necessarily make the women weak, but he just makes them all super unnaturally pretty, and it sort of got annoying after a while.

Sort of like the Shakespeare Sonnet: 'My misstress' eyes are nothing like the sun'. Sometimes, making people sound more real and less pretty actually adds to the story.
I've read books like that before where they exaggerate the physical features of characters. In this genre, I understand that it isn't completely realistic because it is supernatural. I still want to read about real people in a supernatural world. If they could have real relationships, that would be nice too.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”