All time favorite supernatural book/series/movie?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
kinggabrel
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: All time favorite supernatural book/series/movie?

Post by kinggabrel »

ahhh, this is kind of difficult because my favorite genre to read is supernatural and fantasy, but for the sake of this forum i would go with the Night World series by L.J. Smith. I really enjoyed it because of the settings and how the author constructed a new world within a world. it just caught my heart even though i hate vampire stories because some of it are so cliche.
Nancy Mulligan

Post by Nancy Mulligan »

I really like the Lorien Legacies series.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm actually shocked there aren't more people listing Harry Potter as their favorite. I consider Harry Potter supernatural because being able to cast spells and transform into wolves or rats, isn't really natural.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Amagine wrote:I'm actually shocked there aren't more people listing Harry Potter as their favorite. I consider Harry Potter supernatural because being able to cast spells and transform into wolves or rats, isn't really natural.
I think it is a favorite for a lot of people, but it waned a little bit after the movie series finished, and the new books/movies haven't really made anyone go "OMG Harry Potter is back!" It is sort of floundering as a series right now with bad new content, but the original books were incredible.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

James Craft wrote:
Amagine wrote:I'm actually shocked there aren't more people listing Harry Potter as their favorite. I consider Harry Potter supernatural because being able to cast spells and transform into wolves or rats, isn't really natural.
I think it is a favorite for a lot of people, but it waned a little bit after the movie series finished, and the new books/movies haven't really made anyone go "OMG Harry Potter is back!" It is sort of floundering as a series right now with bad new content, but the original books were incredible.
I agree with you. I liked the Fantastic Beasts movie but The Cursed Child (or whatever it was called) wasn't very good in my opinion. Also, Harry Potter is starting to wane down. Children coming up now aren't really as interested in the series.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

judannewen19
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by judannewen19 »

MarisaRose wrote:
Amagine wrote:My favorite supernatural series is The Magicians (if that counts). I also enjoy reading the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries (from True Blood). Those books are packed with different types of supernaturals.

I also really liked the Skokie Stackhouse series! Now that you mention it, some of Harris' writing reminds me a lot of Raven's Peak!
Tru Blood, haha the first time I saw Michone of The Walking Dead
3c_robles

Post by 3c_robles »

Amagine wrote:
James Craft wrote:
I agree with you. I liked the Fantastic Beasts movie but The Cursed Child (or whatever it was called) wasn't very good in my opinion. Also, Harry Potter is starting to wane down. Children coming up now aren't really as interested in the series.
I think you're both right, but I also think how deep people went into Harry Potter varies from person to person. Obviously, there are some intense Potterheads but I think part of its strength as a phenomenon was that everybody interacted with the series, even if it was just a bit. I liked the books, but I stopped reading at The Goblet of Fire, and moved on to something else. I think a lot of people might have had my same experience.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

Oh man, I have so many! I've been reading through the Sookie Stackhouse series and loving them. I obsessively read them and can't put them down. I also love the tv show Supernatural, iZombie, and Lucifer. I also loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

3c_robles wrote:
Amagine wrote:
James Craft wrote:
I think you're both right, but I also think how deep people went into Harry Potter varies from person to person. Obviously, there are some intense Potterheads but I think part of its strength as a phenomenon was that everybody interacted with the series, even if it was just a bit. I liked the books, but I stopped reading at The Goblet of Fire, and moved on to something else. I think a lot of people might have had my same experience.
You're right. Even though I read the books and watched some of the movies, I wasn't heavily invested in it like other readers. I think that now that people aren't really reading the books as much now, it is losing some of its strength.

Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Kb3ck »

Series wise I really enjoy Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries. For supernatural stuff, most of the time, I'd rather have a visual than just words.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

My favorite supernatural series is actually the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I like the romance of the story and how she added such a good twist to what I was expecting to be just a typical gory vampire story.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Mickiee
Currently Reading: Laiden's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by Mickiee »

I love pretty much anything supernatural! I love the shows Supernatural & Grimm. As far as books go... there are sooo many! I'm a huge Steven King fan but am open to anything that's thrown my way. If it gives me chills.. It's awesome!
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

MarisaRose wrote:Raven's Peak certainly falls into the supernatural/thriller category. I've always enjoyed the supernatural thriller genre both in literature and TV/film. Some of my all time favorites are anything by H.P. Lovecraft and the television show The X-Files.

What are some of your favorites?
In the most recent ones, I liked the books 'Roan' and 'Raven's Peak'.
My reviews of them are here:

Raven's Peak: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42060
Roan: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41119

Thanks for asking.
:tiphat:
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I forgot to mention that I like old, classic supernatural shows like Bewitched. It was the first supernatural show I had ever seen and I really liked it.

AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

The Mortal Instruments was a great book series. Again, amazing in creating this entire world, and even more amazing that they were able to do it behind the eyes of a 'normal' world.

Supernatural is my all time favorite TV series. I LOVE IT. The characters are perfect and to get so lost in a character that leaves the show. The actors are not only good at the show, but wonderful people.

Other tv series I enjoyed a lot as a kid was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Charmed.
Nowadays, The Originals, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Witches of the East End, even Teen Wolf wasn't too bad.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”