What did you like the most and/or least?

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

What did you like the most and/or least?

Post by Gravy »

I liked that the author tried to show the consequences of life without modern medicine.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I liked the group of traveling musicians and actors. Their interactions and life from their perspectives after the fall of civilization was interesting to me. I also like the flash-forward and flash-back literary device employed by the author. This is one of my favorites. I would like to have known more about the Station Eleven story. I would love to actually see a copy of this graphic novel for real.

I disliked the Prophet's character the most. Killing people in an already devastated society made no sense to me but his "insanity" was part of the point of his character. I just hated that Arthur's sons fate was so terrible.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Gravy wrote:I liked that the author tried to show the consequences of life without modern medicine.
That's great. From time to time, we should all try to take away things from our lives
and see how we do. Cut down on expenses, cut down on fuel, cut down on travel,
cut down on apparel, etc. That way, the opinions that we have formed ourselves that
'oh i can't live without this', 'oh i can't live without that', will all fall off, and we will
really come to know what we cannot really live without!

I feel many of things that we have are superflous and not even necessary for our lives.
It's just that we have built them as 'feel good' factors so that the 'society' thinks 'good'
about us!
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

I really enjoyed reading about how humanity rebuild lives, homes, and communities after the collapse. The community living in the airport and the progression from raiding the taco place to making a true home inside the airport was my favorite parts to read. I also loved the museum Clark created.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

peprica21 wrote:I really enjoyed reading about how humanity rebuild lives, homes, and communities after the collapse. The community living in the airport and the progression from raiding the taco place to making a true home inside the airport was my favorite parts to read.
I also liked this part. The airport chapters were my favorite. I wish we got more background information on all the characters. I felt like a lot of the story lines were incomplete and left many things unexplained.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
Khaya
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaya.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Khaya »

va2016 wrote:
Gravy wrote:I liked that the author tried to show the consequences of life without modern medicine.
That's great. From time to time, we should all try to take away things from our lives
and see how we do. Cut down on expenses, cut down on fuel, cut down on travel,
cut down on apparel, etc. That way, the opinions that we have formed ourselves that
'oh i can't live without this', 'oh i can't live without that', will all fall off, and we will
really come to know what we cannot really live without!

I feel many of things that we have are superflous and not even necessary for our lives.
It's just that we have built them as 'feel good' factors so that the 'society' thinks 'good'
about us!
I never thought about it, but I think you're very right. I think I'm definitely going to try that one day.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
AYISHA_ASH
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-ash.html
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon

Post by AYISHA_ASH »

What I loved the best was how the author created tender characters, though flawed, depict the stubbornness of humanity. This is a multi-voiced story that has life and is different.
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I loved almost everything. So it is a bit difficult to choose.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Phantom24601
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phantom24601.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Phantom24601 »

I didn't like the focus on Hollywood drama. It was a pointless waste of pages. The parts about the plague were much better. It was fascinating to see how it worked and how it killed and the collapse of the world's population.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

I thought it stretched credibility to have so many characters that were interconnected with each other or with Arthur. I know Canada has a significantly smaller population than the United States, but it still currently has over 37 million people.

I did like the emphasis on people trying to rebuild their lives and look for remnants of the past. I also appreciated having one of the main characters being an older gay man.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

I liked how the author emphasized the consequences of not investing into modern medcine
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

The part when humans were making concerted effort to rebuild from what was left of the world was definately my favourite part.

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”