What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Re: What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Post by Antares »

I like the idea of the genre but, I always want the background. I lose interest in the characters and plot wondering about how the world got there.
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

One book "The Road" is the type of post apocalyptic story I like to avoid. The others just make me want to build a bunker, hoard food and books, and never come back to the surface. These books intrigue me in their depictions of the future and how the characters adapt but mostly they just make me want to become a dooms day prepper. :(
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I couldn't find yet a book that I love with this subject. But I am completely open to it. Who knows? Maybe in a few years I will also be a fan
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

I enjoy this genre, although not my favorite. There was a set of books I read recently set in a dystopian society. I could not finish these books, the situations ended repeating themselves in all the books and I was just done.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I think there are so many post apocalyptic stories out there. Most readers are fascinated by how the world would be when this happens. I personally like the survival part of these stories. It's funny that in our technologically advanced world, post apocalyptic plots would always force the characters to thrive in the most basic way.

In my opinion, we will be the reason for the collapse of civilization. If we continue to abuse our planet our home will be lost. Or if people become too greedy for power there will be war and we will be the cause of our own fall.

I just hope it won't happen too soon.
nikkon
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkon.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by nikkon »

In a way we are in a dystopian society right now (poverty, war, famine ect). So with that said, I kinda enjoy it but I wish that there is some change in the genre instead of "Katniss remakes".
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

"In a way we are in a dystopian society right now (poverty, war, famine ect)"

I kind of agree with Nikkon. I just hope that with all these dystopian books, people will wake up and learn to take care of our environment and help each other so we can help solve problems with poverty, terrorism, and all those negative things.
Blue-siren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-siren.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Blue-siren »

The Post apocalyptic genre, I feel, tend to be filled with tropes (though some books do stray away from them) but I do like the genre but I can't read a book in the genre at the same time. Post apocalyptic book do bring up themes that people don't like to think about. Though themes about humans, their loyal, moral, and values are my favorites in post apocalyptic.
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

I like post-apocalyptic stories - they can be really good if well executed. I think the most effective books are those that describe how a normal world descended into chaos because it's more of a speculative future for us and makes it even more chilling. After reading lots of these I always wind up looking for signs of an apocalypse in real life!
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that post apocalyptic stories can be interesting if they are written realistically and the reader can see themselves in the characters. I believe that some post apocalyptic stories can seemed forced if the same topic has been done repeatedly.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

Post apocalyptic stories generally tell what happened after life as we know it had ended on earth. They talk about human endurance, strength, and whether or not there's hope for humanity in the future. Personally, I believe that these stories walk a thin line between human corruption and innocence, evil and good. As for whether or not that would happen in the future, I've absolutely no idea; so many times we've come close to ending everything, from the threat of nuclear war, to civil wars erupting in the countries close to us, to even domestic disputes in our very own neighborhood. History will essentially repeat itself is what I think, with the thought of an apocalyptic world looming near but never actually reaching us.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I think we have a history of being fascinated with the apocalypse. You see those stories that were told since the beginning of time, like the story of The Flood. The bible discusses the end of time. So I think it is a popular genre because it is something that we think we can relate too. We see wars and awful things happening and can't help but wonder if this is it.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I like stories that try to set up a large scope for themselves. As a result, I like post-apocalyptic books which focuses on survivors who are trying to re-establish society or a new world order of some sort.

The ones that just deal with survival, either as a thriller book or with a romantic underlying theme end up boring me.

As for causes of an apocalypse, the front runners right now would be global warming, nuclear war and a hostile Artificial Intelligence.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I do find this genre of book interesting but sometimes I think the stories get repetitive or you have the authors opinion on what could save the world and what we should do from now on shoved down your throat. Some can be real hits but I do find more often than not that they fall a bit flat
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Along with mysteries and thrillers, post-apocalyptic and dipstopian novels (and movies) are some of my most favorite past-time activities to engage in. I've just read The Fifth Wave for the second time and can't get enough of it. This BOTM is on my to-read list.

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”