What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Re: What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Post by RosesReviews »

Post apocalyptic stories are too dark for me. Things in the world seem like they could go south very fast. In trying to keep a positive attitude in life in general, I try to have my television viewing or books be lighthearted. Not everyone feels the same way and that is why there are different genres available. Something for everyone. As with other types of literary works, there are different authors that also have storytelling styles that appeal to different personalities.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I haven't read too much post apocalyptic stories, but from what I have read, I enjoyed them a lot. I think much of the essence of this genre is the about survival. and to what extent humans will go in order to survive.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

Honestly, yes. Not sure if this makes sense but I feel like the law of entropy applies to humans as well and we too easily drift towards disorganization.
I absolutely love post-apocalyptic stories because they're always so interesting and unique, as well as how they all touch up on human nature, no matter what the environment is.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

It's not my favorite genre. For fiction, I tend to prefer light and upbeat novels. I read a lot of nonfiction so I just like giving my brain a break. However, I will read post-apocalyptic stories on occasion and enjoy them when they're really well done, and for me that means really strong world building and character development.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Apocalyptic/dystopian genre is my favorite. I love to read and see how others view the world and how they would grow from it. As I read, I always find myself in a conversation whether it be with myself or someone else on what they would do in that situation. Each apocalyptic/dystopian situation is different, always depending on how much technology is lost, how many buildings are still standing, how many people are still around, is there still war, etc.?

Personally I strongly believe that civilization will collapse and partly due to the selfish ways our world seems to be leaning towards. It seems that more people have are all about themselves, rather what they can do to keep this world going. When you have an "easy" life (and we all do compared to no lights, running water, etc.) it's easy to forget that you are going to school to learn a skill that helps further our world. Way back when, people needed to learn so they could fight sickness, fight to survive, learn to hunt and cook to eat each day, learn to make blankets and clothes so everyone had more than one outfit (due to being dirty, cold, wet, not fitting, etc.). Today, many people just want to learn to make money so they can have what they want.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

I love these kind of books I do think civilization will collapse. How and when? I have no idea. My husband and I are slightly prepared but the more books I read in this genre the more we do to get prepared. ;)
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

When a writer creates a new world in a book, I have always felt that it "exists" somewhere as a possible dimension, although exactly how it does so I could not say. If so, when a reader then enjoys their work, they put energy into the author's vision. Because of this, I have avoided post apocalyptic novels, not wanting to add energy to such possible outcomes of human existence.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

i don't usually enjoy the post apocalyptic genre but there is an exception to every rule. To answer your second question, yes, I do believe that eventually society will collapse
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Leese »

It's not really a genre I've really explored because I didn't think it was my kind of thing. I REALLY enjoyed Station Eleven, though, so I think I'll definitely be looking into similar books in the future. Do I think society will one day collapse? I'm not so sure. Maybe to an extent, but I don't think it will be eradicated completely. Not for a looooooong time, anyway.
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

I also enjoy a good post apocalyptic book. Like any other genre, there are authors who could write a story about shaking someone's hand and I'd read it. Then there are those who bore me to tears on any topic, and usually everyone else likes them, lol. There was a post apocalyptic series I read a couple of years ago that I really enjoyed, but I can't remember the author or a book title. Grumble.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
olaiya oluwafemi
Currently Reading: In the shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaiya-oluwafemi.html

Post by olaiya oluwafemi »

I like this genre because the stories always make somebody to think and ask some questions about the future of the mankind. Another thing is that Bible is a great resource in these kind of novel.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I decided to read the book Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, because I thought the picture on the cover was interesting. The way she describes the world before and after the collapse is compelling. Also the stories about the survivors are interesting. Most apocalyptic stories don't explain how the world was before the destructive event.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

The idea of a post-apocalyptic world is a massive leveler. Those who relied on others for their day to day lives will find themselves possibly unable to cope with what is necessary for survival. With our reliance on electricity and technology today, could you imagine a world where it is just shut off? I would feel so isolated and probably not really know where to start. Best I make some post-apocalyptic plans now!
MagicToDo930
Currently Reading: The Witchfinder's Sister
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magictodo930.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MagicToDo930 »

I really enjoy reading post-apocalyptic stories. I just began Station Eleven and I'm already hooked. I think this may be my most favorite of the genre.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
MarvelGirl
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Currently Reading: Tender Is the Night
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by MarvelGirl »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:Station Eleven can be sorted into the post apocalyptic genre.
What are your thoughts on this genre?
Do you think that civilization will collapse one day?
If yes, then due to what will that happen or how much time will it take?

Do share your thoughts on this topic. :D :tiphat:
I'm usually oddly picky when it comes to what post apocalyptic stories I'm willing to read.

I tend to prefer poems or short stories set in that genre.

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”