What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Re: What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Post by Lady Countryrose »

I have seen many movies on the subject and found that they have a lot in common. Which means limited lives had survived and lack of food to go around. In all honesty, it could happen. Science fiction is a precursor to science fact. Look at our technology thanks to Star Trek, we have those today. This all points out that everyone should think about environmental issues to be real and to think ahead.

Lack of food supply
Population is too much for earth to provide
Earth climate change to massive changes
War that had gotten out of hand
Nuclear fallout
Alien invasion
Asteroid scallion to the earth
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I started reading a lot of paranormal romance about twelve years ago, but I find myself picking up any genre that has a good storyline. That being said I have read a good many dystopia/post-apocalyptic books that have been interesting. Could this happen today? Quite possibly, you never know what is going to happen one minute from now, a day from now, or a week. If it does happen I like to think I would be ready, but in all honestly I don't think I would be.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
BookWormMommy
Currently Reading: The Chemist
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormmommy.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by BookWormMommy »

I also love post apocalyptic stories. Imagining a world with endless possibilities for mankind. Probably also the reason I love science fiction and paranormal as well. It allows you to stretch your imagination and usually be very thankful we live in a world where there aren't zombies, vampires, alien take overs, and a general collapse of civilization.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I haven't read many but would like to. I'd like something less science fiction based. Something post apocalyptic but still set on this planet rather than the idea that we've had to go out in to space to survive as a race.
Character development is important in these kind of stories I think.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Ajgird
Currently Reading: Eclipse
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ajgird »

I do from time to time enjoy reading post apocalyptic stories. I like reading these because I feel that it takes a lot of creativity. I do not think that the world will collapse one day, however, it is an interesting thought.
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

They are awesome! They shed a new light. It makes you think more about the what ifs. ??
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I think post-apocalyptic genre is great. It offers insights on what to expect and how cope mentally and physically if you're in some kind of survival situation.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

For me, post apocalyptic stories can be a hit or miss. If the world building and the characters are very well done, it can become a new favorite. But if the opposite is done, then it can become a terrible piece of work.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

I love dystopians and post-apocalyptics. I write them and read them. I think it is only natural to think about the inevitable because one day, things will change. I have always believed we will push ourselves backward. Technology will get out of control and something will happen and it will be back to the pre-tech days. I don't know how long it would take, I don't know how bad it would be, who does? I mentally think about it more than I should, but I am a worrier. I plan on what I would do, how I would protect my child, and what I would need to do to help us survive and thrive. It is frightening but it is life. Nothing lasts forever.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Bfrisco
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfrisco.html
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Post by Bfrisco »

I'm not a huge fan of post-apocalyptic stories, but I appreciate the world-building that goes into them. If society collapsed, I imagine I wouldn't be well-equipped to handle life afterwards, especially in the case of a mass disaster.
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp
Ckennedy
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ckennedy.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Ckennedy »

I am a serious fan of the genre. I find post-apocalyptic stories are super interesting because in some ways, they can parallel with today's world. I do believe that it is something that could have to society. Everything breaks down eventually, right?
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
MaricelBaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Communist Manifesto</a>
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by MaricelBaby »

Yes.I do agree that every civilization collapses. History will tell us that all the civilizations flourished in the past had all collapsed because of different changes in our society. The only permanent in this world is " change" itself, thus everything changes.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I really love this genre, it is great to read what the author thinks will happen. Most of the books in this genre also makes you sit back and evaluate.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

I enjoy books in the post-apocalyptic genre. I am only on Chapter 9 of Station Eleven, but I can already tell that I'm going to enjoy it. I'm not sure if there will be a collapse of ALL civilization anytime soon, but it's certainly a possibility with nuclear warfare or an object from space hitting Earth. I do think that there are people who live amidst great turmoil and I imagine they feel as though civilization is collapsing.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

I love this genre because I believe and it reminds me of what the bible says about the rapture and if that occurs it will be due to so much evil.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”