Would you be able to enjoy immortality?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Would you be able to enjoy immortality?

Post by MarisaRose »

We always say that youth is wasted on the young because young people tend to act recklessly due to unrealistic feelings of invincibility. If you were immortal, do you think the fact that you have A LOT more living to do would cause you to be overly cautious in life because there would be a lot more life at stake? Would this hinder your ability to make a difference? Would you really enjoy your immortality?
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Well, for one thing I don't want to be immortal. If somehow I do become immortal, then I think that I will enjoy it initially. Knowing that one has all the time in the world and that one can do anything is definitely exciting. But overtime I will, just like any other immortal, get bored and wish that death takes me away.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

No! I enjoy life but I don't have any trouble imagining a time when I will be just plain tired of it all. I do try to live life with no regrets and I think I will come to a point when I'm perfectly OK with leaving it all behind. Not there yet though!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

If somehow I became immortal, I would be able to enjoy it as long as my family is at my side. I will live as I live now.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

I don't believe I would be able to enjoy it; it wouldn't make much of a difference earlier on in life but later, I don't think I could stand everyone I loved dying while I just lived on. I feel like I'd do what many immortal people do in books - be alone and try not to make connections with many other people because I wouldn't be able to stand knowing that inevitably they would die as well.
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

If I ever became immortal then I think I would enjoy it a lot at first. I would do a bunch of scary things that I wouldn't have done before like sky diving. I also think it would change the way I view my family. Instead of worrying about my education and my career, I would spend more time with them and be more patient, because I know for a fact that I will outlive them and that I have the rest of my immortal life to think about myself.
But sooner rather than later, the joy of experiencing things for the first time would wear off and also it would really suck having to experience/enjoy things by yourself.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I think that I would enjoy it immensely. As Sarah_Kahn just mentioned, I would be a bit more of a daredevil and I would be able to spend time on family while I can, knowing that there will be time for me later. I would later enjoy traveling and move to New York or London with a big theatre scene. For a while I could just excuse my appearance with plastic surgery. Although it would be a pain to be forever "mature", instead of forever young.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

noorsawhney wrote:I don't believe I would be able to enjoy it; it wouldn't make much of a difference earlier on in life but later, I don't think I could stand everyone I loved dying while I just lived on. I feel like I'd do what many immortal people do in books - be alone and try not to make connections with many other people because I wouldn't be able to stand knowing that inevitably they would die as well.
I agree completely! I don't think I would ever be able to enjoy a connection with another human being knowing they would only be in my life for a very short period of time (relatively speaking). And I think at first, being alone may not be a bad thing, but overtime it would just be incredibly sad and difficult to want to do new things.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Sarah_Khan wrote:If I ever became immortal then I think I would enjoy it a lot at first. I would do a bunch of scary things that I wouldn't have done before like sky diving. I also think it would change the way I view my family. Instead of worrying about my education and my career, I would spend more time with them and be more patient, because I know for a fact that I will outlive them and that I have the rest of my immortal life to think about myself.
But sooner rather than later, the joy of experiencing things for the first time would wear off and also it would really suck having to experience/enjoy things by yourself.
Yes. But an immortal can definitely find friends amongst mortals. So you wouldn't have to be alone.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

I feel like, for the first couple hundred years, I would be fascinated with the advancement of human technology. But one things started going downhill, in this case meaning everything I cared about is gone, I'd start hating the fact that I was still alive when all I wanted to do was rest in peace once and for all.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Caution in interactions with others would be necessary as an immortal, since you would live to see the consequences stretched over infinite time scales. Still though most immortals in fiction are reckless at some point as they test their immortality.

Making a difference is a lot like finding a purpose, and I think that would be the key to enjoying immortality. That being said it is also an important part of enjoying normal life.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

Choosing whether or not to be immortal has got my head spinning! I can't help but look at both sides of it. However, if I did choose it, or if it just happened to me, I would do my absolute best to enjoy it. I am hoping that I would be able to watch people grow. A lot of progress has already happened in my lifetime, and I would like to watch that trend grow.

The other side of me, though, realizes the extreme loss that I would have to go through watching all of my friends and family die. Those would be very difficult times. I think being immortal would be somewhat like regular life--sometimes you love it and sometimes you hate it.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

If I was immortal, I would try to enjoy life as much as I am doing now. I wouldn't be more reckless, but I would definitely want to make sure I travel the world and experience things that I have never experienced. This is, of course, if I can have my husband by my side the entire time. If not, then I have no interest in being immortal. I think I would get very lonely overtime.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

No, I want to live then let to peace, not have to keep reliving the same life over generations. You wouldn't appreciate people as much if you were never to lose them.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I can't imagine watching the people I love die,,,,,, and then the next set dies, and so on. Nor can I imagine knowing the mistakes they are all making as well as the outcomes. I doubt I'd be fulfilled in that type of life.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”