If you were immortal, how would you change the world?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Re: If you were immortal, how would you change the world?

Post by csimmons032 »

I don't know that I could change the world, but I would do my best to help people in need. Maybe volunteer at hospitals or homeless shelters. I would probably still continue to do the things that I enjoy like art, reading, and maybe even write some books. I would do everything I could to encourage people to live their lives to the fullest.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ChillAndRead »

Most serious people don't believe there is immortality out there in the world, as they didn't believe in the prophets in the past. If a person got to be immortal, they should also had to be extremely wealthy. These days, money is the only way to influence powerful people for the greater good...
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Lovely Eimeren
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-eimeren.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Lovely Eimeren »

I would change the world through education. I believe the world is so messed up because we are just blind followers as to how the society wants as to act. We always follow what's trending. But only if we know who we are and what we are supposed to do, we can change the world for the better. I believe that would be achieve through quality education.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

It would be hard to change the world just by being immortal. You still, like today, would not be able to get people to listen to you. Humans are doomed to repeat the mistakes of their past.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

If I was immortal, that would mean I have unlimited time and so I can earn unlimited wealth. Once I have a lot of money, I would sponsor a lot of charities and open a lot of orphanages all over the world. I would also distribute free food and clothes in poverty-stricken areas.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

David Nash wrote:I'm not sure you could change the world as an immortal. To effect major change you usually need wealth and power. However if you acquire too much of it, you would immediately be revealed and probably hunted. If you stay quiet in the background you stand a much better chance of not spending eternity as a lab test. I might try becoming some sort of conservationist setting aside land and preserving rare and endangered species.
This does sound like a great idea, and you're absolutely right. Power is a frightening thing, and combined with immortality, I'm not sure it wouldn't got to my head, especially with no one to stop me. So, I wouldn't even try to affect big change, but small things for sure.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

That's an intriguing prospect. If I were immortal, I'll simply go on acquiring all the knowledge I've always wanted to.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I don't think that just being immortal gives me any power to change the world.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Uh...world peace? :) I would establish a school. Having an educated citizenry is the best antidote to corruption and all that. But I don't want to be immortal. I might not die, but I couldn't say the same about the planet, and I don't want to be around when a comet crashes into it or the sun explodes or something.
Makaylah+1
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Makaylah+1 »

Well Let Me See, Take Edward From The Movie Twilight , He Only Killed What He Believed He Was "Monsters" . Rapists, Murders, Pedophiles. So As An Immortal I Think Yea, Why Not Rid The World Of These Devils, Better Them Gone Then Here. Taking Yet Another Woman/Man/Child. Immortals Can Be Civil & Live In Communities, But Realistically Nobody Can Actually Become Immortal.... Or Can They 😂👀.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I'd do my best to improve myself, study various fields, and teach others. I don't think this will change the world in a flash, but if I'll be able to change others' lives--no matter how few they are--I think that's okay.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I do a lot of work volunteering with Engineers Without Borders, because it is really important to me to expand access to clean drinking water to developing countries. If I was immortal, I'd make some long term investments to fundraise and start my own nonprofit with the same goal, so I can slowly work on making sure everyone has water!
Paige125
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Paige125 »

I am not sure i will be able to change the world if i were to be immortal but, i will strive to change lives on at a time. I will also live a life that people can and would want to emulate, live a life i will be proud of if not, that will be a long ride filled with regrets.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I don't think I would be able to change the world, but I would be able, through my immortality, to pass on to people from different epochs direct knowledge and experience from the time before theirs.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

AmeliaLovesBooks wrote: 01 Feb 2017, 23:06 The idea of indefinite life is enough to make the mind spin with ideas, plans, and ambitions. Consider that most of the people we know to be cornerstones in society (past and present), don't live long enough to make the world a better place and even if they do, those changes are often short-lived. But to be immortal? Changing the world might be just another Monday. What would you do to change the world?
I would end the needless suffering among humans and I would stop the wars and chaos between them. I would try to bring peace to humans kind through diverse knowledge acquired during my time as an immortal.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”