Historical accuracy

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Historical accuracy

Post by Julie Ditton »

In many historical novels, the level of research varies greatly. If you are in your 80's or know your history, how accurate do you feel the book is? ( Basic premise of immortality excepted of course.)
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Written history is not a hundred percent accurate. Written history is at times, bias. The author may have a wrong interpretation of an artefact or oral history.Historical fiction is not accurate, it may only present a part of reality.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I think the historical part of this book kind of takes a back seat. The author uses major events as a backdrop for the story (example WWII when Steven finds the immortality pills), but I didn't think the historical aspect really impacted the story. The story could easily have taken place in a different time period, with Steven coming across these pills some other way. That being said, there weren't too many specific details which you could question the historical accuracy of.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

In this particular book, I would have liked some additional backstory about the Dalai Lama. I don't really understand his importance. Or the difference between Dalai Lama, Confucianism, Buddhism, etc.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:In this particular book, I would have liked some additional backstory about the Dalai Lama. I don't really understand his importance. Or the difference between Dalai Lama, Confucianism, Buddhism, etc.
You make a really good point! I also felt a little more explanation about Buddhism in general and the relationship with immortality would have been helpful given what a large role the religion played in the overall story. :hand:
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I agree with others here - the historical aspect (WWII and the concentration camp) seems pretty accurate, but it isn't the focus of the read; therefore, there isn't much here about it. I also agree with a bit more explanation of Buddhism would have been more interesting and added to the story.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier

Post by Mollymae »

I'm nearly half way through the book and see absolutely no accuracy or real discussion about Buddhism. I feel like the book is more of a fantasy than anything else.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

MarisaRose wrote:I think the historical part of this book kind of takes a back seat. The author uses major events as a backdrop for the story (example WWII when Steven finds the immortality pills), but I didn't think the historical aspect really impacted the story. The story could easily have taken place in a different time period, with Steven coming across these pills some other way. That being said, there weren't too many specific details which you could question the historical accuracy of.

I would tend to agree. Any historical period that was wrought with conflict and war would have worked.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

In all my years of reading historical books, I've never come across any book that was 100% historically accurate. Every book is bound to have some historical mistakes. This is not the fault of the author. The faults are mainly due to stereotypes, incorrect interpretations, and incorrect transmission of oral history. This book was around 95% accurate historically, which is way more than many other books I've read belonging to the same genre.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I think that authors modify the history based on the story's plot and characters.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
nancyab
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancyab.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by nancyab »

I am in my 80s. I do think the author's description of Dachau is well within historic parameters. Otherwise, I don't recall anything that could be considered historically accurate in the rest of the book. It is a very interesting fictional read.
soccerts
Favorite Book: Farenheit 451
Currently Reading: Theory of Colours
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerts.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by soccerts »

Well, this is probably not what you were looking for, but the historical accuracy of analog recording was...not good. As someone who's spent time as a musician in analog studios, that was quite painful to read. He was assuming 78's were a universal limitation, but that's only for home use. A radio station or studio could record at 33 in the '40s. Plus, even if they couldn't, the A&R guy would be looking at using new microgroove technology of the time rather than holding out on some hypothetical magnetic tape (which hindsight tells us works, but they had little inclination at the time). Most of the war stuff seemed pretty accurate, sharks aside.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”