What makes us human?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

What makes us human?

Post by cjohns105 »

In many parts of the book we find Steven purposefully distancing himself from different aspects of his life before. At other times, the way he sees the world and the situations he encounters in it, seem to change dramatically in a short period of time without a conscious effort on his part.

What do you think the author is trying to say about what makes us human? Are the changes Steven goes through meant to aid him, or make a point to the reader? What do you think makes us human?
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

cjohns105 wrote:In many parts of the book we find Steven purposefully distancing himself from different aspects of his life before. At other times, the way he sees the world and the situations he encounters in it, seem to change dramatically in a short period of time without a conscious effort on his part.

What do you think the author is trying to say about what makes us human? Are the changes Steven goes through meant to aid him, or make a point to the reader? What do you think makes us human?
Personally, I believe that our capacity to think does. Even immortals are humans. For example- all religions believe in paradise. In paradise, humans will be there but they shall be immortal.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

What makes us human is our emotional aspect. The feeling of love and hate, fear and courage and most importantly, our capability of hoping. These emotions connect us with other humans.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I think that our emotions and our ability to think logically are what make us human.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:What makes us human is our emotional aspect. The feeling of love and hate, fear and courage and most importantly, our capability of hoping. These emotions connect us with other humans.
Yes. I forgot to mention emotions but they also play a role in defining that we are humans. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree with a lot of what has been said above. However, I think one of the most important qualities that make us human is our ability to choose. Many times our choices are guided by our emotions, but it is important to realize being human allows us to create the life we live through our choices.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Well, not saying anything new here - what makes us human (as opposed to animals??) is emotion and intellect. What makes us human (as opposed to Godlike?) is mortality =D Oh, and lack of omniscience and omnipresence, and stuff like that LOL!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree with the above. I think our compassion makes us human as well as our ability to imagine things that do not exist.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

I am inclined to say emotions but not so much intellect/thinking logically and choice. A computer can do the latter two as well, to a degree. There are limitations of course, but as we keep on pushing the limitations to create computers and programmes and robots and things with more and more capabilities, then will one day we say there's no difference between them and humans? Then again, emotional data can be inputted into a robot as well. It's not the same, though. Trying to find the right words to describe the difference though... And then the difference between a human and, say, the other species of Star Wars. Or elves and dwarfs and hobbits in LOTR. They're physical differences, largely. They all feel and think and choose and live and die... Maybe we're only humans because that's what we decide to call ourselves human, and what it'll take for Steven to not be human is his own absolute rejection of his humanity.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I believe it's the ability to consciously choose to put others before ourselves.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Jasmine M Wardiya wrote:I am inclined to say emotions but not so much intellect/thinking logically and choice. A computer can do the latter two as well, to a degree. There are limitations of course, but as we keep on pushing the limitations to create computers and programmes and robots and things with more and more capabilities, then will one day we say there's no difference between them and humans? Then again, emotional data can be inputted into a robot as well. It's not the same, though. Trying to find the right words to describe the difference though... And then the difference between a human and, say, the other species of Star Wars. Or elves and dwarfs and hobbits in LOTR. They're physical differences, largely. They all feel and think and choose and live and die... Maybe we're only humans because that's what we decide to call ourselves human, and what it'll take for Steven to not be human is his own absolute rejection of his humanity.
Interesting response! I definitely think the idea of inputing emotional data into a robot is incredibly scary. But I like what you said about what makes us different from other species such as those in Star Wars or LOTR. But in reality, I wonder if there are other species out there like humans? Is it realistic to think there are other species on other planets that also have the same abilities as us? Or will we, someday, merely find that other organisms on other planets do not have the same capacity to feel and think and choose as we do?

I also like your point about Steven! We will have to see, in future books, if he does reject his humanity absolutely. I think over time, as an immortal, constantly seeing those you are close with leave the Earth, it is definitely a possibility.
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

Our rationality and power of adaptation these two things makes us human .
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

Emotions and our ability to act according to those. Feelings like empathy and compassion, while I admit are not exclusive to humans, are spread through our ability to communicate collectively.
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Jasmine M Wardiya wrote:I am inclined to say emotions but not so much intellect/thinking logically and choice. A computer can do the latter two as well, to a degree. There are limitations of course, but as we keep on pushing the limitations to create computers and programmes and robots and things with more and more capabilities, then will one day we say there's no difference between them and humans? Then again, emotional data can be inputted into a robot as well. It's not the same, though. Trying to find the right words to describe the difference though... And then the difference between a human and, say, the other species of Star Wars. Or elves and dwarfs and hobbits in LOTR. They're physical differences, largely. They all feel and think and choose and live and die... Maybe we're only humans because that's what we decide to call ourselves human, and what it'll take for Steven to not be human is his own absolute rejection of his humanity.
Interesting response! Although AI isn't probably due in our lifetime. Well then, maybe its our biological appearance that makes us human. ?
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also agree with a lot that has been said - the ability to think, feel, adapt, and make choices makes us humans.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”