Overall Rating and Opinion of The Diary Of An Immortal

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall Rating and Opinion of The Diary Of An Immortal

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2017 Book of the Month,"The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello.

What is your overall opinion of "The Diary Of An Immortal"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I really liked this read. I felt like I learned quite a bit of information, which I always enjoy while reading. Actually, I found myself researching some topics, especially the WWII information. I think Steven was a pretty likable character, which is always a plus, and I like the mix of immortality with realistic features.

There was a point when I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy, especially when they traveled to China since this is more unfamiliar to me, but aside from a few names/words, it turned out to be interesting. Then, the only other aspect that I didn't enjoy was the Jesus Christ origin question. It didn't really add to the plot, and I do not believe in it.

Other than that, I thought the read was creative and one that I enjoyed. I also loved watching the interview with the author on YouTube. Overall, I was pretty hooked and gave this a 4/4 star rating.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree with a lot of what @hsimone said above! This really was a fun read and I enjoyed the majority of it. I was also put off by the Jesus Christ origin angle, but luckily it was such a small part of the book that it didn't make me think too much less of the overall book. I also enjoyed Steven's character; I think the first part of the book where he finds the pills as a soldier during WWII was the most enjoyable part. The author did a very good job capturing this time period. I also thought the traveling to China part of the novel was a little bit slower and at times maybe a little boring. Overall this was a really fun book to read. The best part is that it is something very different. I can honestly say I've never read anything quite like it!
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I would also give this book a 4 out of 4 stars.. I found the character of Steven well rounded. The author mixed fantasy with history in a very believable manor. I don't usually care for historical fiction that center on historical figures, but I don't mind when the fictional character meets the real person. I found the whole Chinese saga quite interesting.

I do need to say that the groundwork for the ending was not quite subtle enough. I wondered why the author had bothered to put in a couple facts and could predict the ending.

All in all it is a great book.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I loved this book and give it a 4 out of 4 stars overall. I was so engrossed in the story that I found myself dreaming about it. I enjoyed following Steven as he slowly adjusted to his new immortal life and where each step led him. I disliked Chang Sou's evil character with a passion and could not believe Chow Li let him carry on with his cruelty for so long. The book had great character development, a diverse setting, and an interesting theme. I do feel that this book would not be suited for readers who are not interested in reading about war, blood, death, or torture.
Madison Degraffenreid
dbrooks8109
Currently Reading: The Buried Pyramid
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbrooks8109.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dbrooks8109 »

I loved this book! I just finished and give it a 4 out of 4 as well! I felt like the authors did a wonderful job of keeping my attention and by the end of the book I was literally on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. The characters were easy to relate to and give your emotions to; this book has definitely given me a reading hangover!
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I surprised myself and really enjoyed this story. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The story line was unique. I was drawn into a few of the characters. I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next. Many parts surprised me. The ending stunned me, when Steven's heart died. I'd really like to know what happens in the next chapter of his immortal life.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
pjclpn2b
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by pjclpn2b »

I just finished this book and was impressed with the authors ability to take an age old story, and put a wonderful new spin on it. According to the title, I am assuming there will be other stories of Steven in his progression to present time. It really took you from one extreme to another on the emotional roller coaster. Who could read this and not feel the deepest sorrow for the suffering committed at the hands of the Germans and two chapters later feel the utmost joy for Steven finding love, and then end with feeling terrible sadness for him? In my opinion, a good book has you directly relating with each character and their plight. This book does this for me.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I enjoyed this story very much. It was well told. I may not agree with some of the theories, as in, I don't believe that Jesus came from another world - haha! However, the story was very well-written, and contains a compelling plot. For all that, I would rate it 4 of 4 stars.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I just finished the book and I loved every aspect of it. There were a couple of typos (and some missing words), but other than that it was well edited. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars as I found it an original and compelling read.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

Honestly, Diary of an Immortal is not my usual style of book, but I did really get into it. I loved the historical elements of the Holocaust because I have a strong background knowledge there. The historical elements from Eastern lands I am much less familiar with, so I'm certain much information went over my head.

I thought the character development was very good. The description and imagery was vivid. The supernatural elements were also interesting in terms of the telepathy and mental entwinement between the immortals in the book. The only part that I scoffed at was the idea that we were some sort of alien experiment gone awry. Equating God and Jesus Christ to an alien life form in the traditional sense seemed absurd.

Finally, I liked how the author brought all the strands of the story full circle and tied up all the loose ends. It gives the reader closure, and I like walking away feeling like the story is complete.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

My opinion about the book is interesting to read by just looking at the title page. I did not read yet the book but I look forward in reading this one.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Rey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rey.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Rey »

I rate this book 3.5 out of 4 stars, considering the fact I was so eager to finish it in one sitting (yes,that's how good it was). I would've given it 4 stars but this isn't my regular kind of read. Nevertheless, it was very informative.

The story is about the protagonist Steven who dared to administrate a couple of immortality pills he had discovered. It offered him unlimited powers, especially when he travelled to Manhattan and decided to become a saxophone player, which he excelled at. Afterwards, he starts to have visions that lead to go an adventure that will teach him the aftermath of the world of immortality.

It was incredibly intriguing how the author succeeds to draw the reader into this daunting world of suspense and action starting from the very beginning.
As I continued leafing later on through the pages and begin to be acquainted with the protagonist.

In The Diary of an Immortal, Castello created this spectacularly developed and flawed character that you can't help but fall in love with and root for; his characteristics are likeable, successfully influencing andwildly inspiring, considering the manners with which he chooses to forge his path through the hardships this strange new life throw at his helpless endeavors. Therefore I really enjoyed discovering how he grows and changes allthroughout his adventures. So what's not to like? Although I would've been more grateful if te author would have given more insights on his backstory.
The writing was very appealing and engaging like no other.

This was my first Castello read and as of now I feel completely safe diving into anything written by such a genius author. And I'm undoubtedly impressed by the dark feel given to the atmosphere of the various events in the book, and therefore I'm certain that fans of historical fiction, and readers that are enjoy classic adventures, would instantly fall in love with Castello's work.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

I found the book quite enjoyable and would probably rate it around 4 out of 4 stars as well. Such an amazing story even though as greenstripedgiraffe mentioned I also don't agree with everything in it.
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
Daisy Adongo
Favorite Book: The Message?
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Daisy Adongo »

The book tittle "The diary of an immortal" reminds me of the movie twilight. Yes I definitely want to read it...The plot is very interesting.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”